House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rollover

The Independent’S Last Day

Well, that's the future of print media.

I think there will always be a small number of successful newspapers; what's happening is that the market's contracting and the number that there is at present is uneconomic.

I can see in fifteen years' time it will be down to The Telegraph as the last broadsheet standing, The Mail as the last tabloid, and The Sun and The Mirror as the last redtops.

All of which will go on indefinitely and profitably; maybe more than they are now with the lack of competition.

Goodbye to The Daily "House Prices to Soar" Express.

The independent lost the plot quite a while ago. One final mistake was having to be financially supported by an oligarch owner that lost interest / ran out of money to throw at the publication.

It does make sense that once the dead wood newspapers are gone, what is left will do better.

Can see the Guardian going online only soon

They have already talked about it, and it fits with what they think of as a forward looking ethos (no doubt to dumb too realise they still aren't making any money from the digital side, they just think that endowment will never run out).

I remember getting the Indie when it first published - good journalism and free speech that attacked all sides of the political divide. I dipped into it on every visit back to the Uk and could see the decline, to the point where it was a Guardian-lite with equal global warming, migrant blessing madness.

Good riddance.

I remember getting the Indie when it first published - good journalism and free speech that attacked all sides of the political divide. I dipped into it on every visit back to the Uk and could see the decline, to the point where it was a Guardian-lite with equal global warming, migrant blessing madness.

Good riddance.

A worthy disciple of Pin. I too

saw

it failing. It was good once, like my car! :wacko:

What's left though?

The Times - Biased by Murdoch's chumminess to Blair and now Cameron.

The Telegraph - Turning into The Daily Mail.

The Granuaid - Benefits and multiculturalism for all.

The Sun - Murdoch again.

The Daily Mail - LOL!

The Daily Express - 2x LOL!

Sadly the Grauniad will not be following the Indy any time soon. Even the spectacular incompetence of their management will take many years to burn through the Scott Trusts £800Million.

https://next.ft.com/content/a5ded58e-bbab-11e5-b151-8e15c9a029fb

Oh well, didn't know about that.

Still, something to look forward to long term.

Oh well, didn't know about that.

Still, something to look forward to long term.

The Guardian is a stooge of the establishment. It's whole multi cultural happy clappy world view is designed to weaken the left not strengthen it. The basic premise is that the energies of radicals should be channelled into a multiplicity of campaigning special issues which are often fundamentally at odds with each other ( i.e. feminism and certain types of multiculturalism). What must not be discussed under any circumstances are issues that effect everyone such as the ownership of capital resources, utilities, land, the means of production etc. I see the same time in my useless Trade Union where I get endless missives about Black sections and gender representation on branch committees but no one has had a pay rise in years and half the work force has been made redundant in the last decade. Complete and utter tools all of them. You will find more revolutionary ideas in Marie Claire and Hallo.

The Guardian is a stooge of the establishment.

Certainly on big issues like Syria they seem like the propaganda sheet of the Neocons

The Guardian is haemorrhaging money, they have 2000 staff ( 4 times as many as rival papers)

I don't think a few adverts are going to pay all those wages, so unless they find a way of getting internet readers to start paying, they will be broke within a decade.

Guest eight

The Guardian is haemorrhaging money, they have 2000 staff ( 4 times as many as rival papers)

I don't think a few adverts are going to pay all those wages, so unless they find a way of getting internet readers to start paying, they will be broke within a decade.

Oh no! "People not prepared to pay for shit they don't want to read" shocker!

The Guardian is a stooge of the establishment. It's whole multi cultural happy clappy world view is designed to weaken the left not strengthen it. The basic premise is that the energies of radicals should be channelled into a multiplicity of campaigning special issues which are often fundamentally at odds with each other ( i.e. feminism and certain types of multiculturalism). What must not be discussed under any circumstances are issues that effect everyone such as the ownership of capital resources, utilities, land, the means of production etc. I see the same time in my useless Trade Union where I get endless missives about Black sections and gender representation on branch committees but no one has had a pay rise in years and half the work force has been made redundant in the last decade. Complete and utter tools all of them. You will find more revolutionary ideas in Marie Claire and Hallo.

Definitely this. Seeing the same with my union too. Still partly my fault as I don't bother with the meetings any more either.

What's left though?

Well since you're asking Edwardo I heartily recommend this popular periodical...

viz_233_40_rgb.jpg

;)

XYY

Mr Pin finds the "Viz" to be a very learned journal, in which I have had the honour of being "published" more than twice. :huh:

Oh no! "People not prepared to pay for shit they don't want to read" shocker!

Well yes, but that's what's happening with the internet (etc.) in general, with the result that a lot of people only ever read stuff that confirms exactly what they already believe (and whatever your political views, there's no shortage of that kind of thing). I'm not convinced that that's a good thing.

Sadly the Grauniad will not be following the Indy any time soon. Even the spectacular incompetence of their management will take many years to burn through the Scott Trusts £800Million.

https://next.ft.com/content/a5ded58e-bbab-11e5-b151-8e15c9a029fb

the Guardian lost a cool £100 mil last year!!

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/content/why-financial-meltdown-guardian-could-signal-victory-19th-century-paywall-model-times-over

I think the idea is to invest to 'pivot' into the digital future. But who really wants to use all this digital stuff unless it is free. A lot of what they are doing just seems to be the current staff revelling in the chance to splurge the money from the Auto trader sale.

When they get down to there last few 100 million we will start to see a lot of"austerity"!!

Mr Pin finds the "Viz" to be a very learned journal, in which I have had the honour of being "published" more than twice. :huh:

Impressive Pinny, and easily beats my one contribution to the "Letters To The Editor" page of the Hartlepool Mail.

XYY

PS: I have also been featured a few times in that publication's reports from the local Magistrates Court...! ;)

I gave on paper dailies and Sundays waay before the interweb.

Used to get the independent daily in the 90s. that when I last had a dinner hour. gave up on the Sunday paper - only read odd sections if I'm in the pub.

I get most news from the econmist. I'd love a sub to the new Yorker but cannot get it.

Most players are just light news and ghost written opinion prices and advertorial. don't have time or inclination for that crp.

Oh I'm watching the Johnson press and it's moronic stragey with great interest. borrow loads of money tyo bet against interweb, then burn thrtu your goodwill by taking piss out of your readers by selling less for more.

I gave on paper dailies and Sundays waay before the interweb.

Used to get the independent daily in the 90s. that when I last had a dinner hour. gave up on the Sunday paper - only read odd sections if I'm in the pub.

I get most news from the econmist. I'd love a sub to the new Yorker but cannot get it.

Most players are just light news and ghost written opinion prices and advertorial. don't have time or inclination for that crp.

the Guardian costs £1.80 per day now. You would have to love the paper to pay that everyday. It's actually surprises me that physical newspapers are still bought in the numbers that they are (no doubt due to older readers).

I would cringe at paying £1.80 per day for the Guardian or other newspapers.