House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Email Providers

I need a simple to open email account. Any suggestions? free naturally.

Blöddy hotmail demands confirmation of who I am every time I move to a new location (Isn't that idiotic? The whole point of hotmail is it' mobile). For this I need an alternative email account to which they send the access code. Unfortunately my previous account provider has finally expired. (does that even make sense as security? They doubt who I am, but all I have to do is give an alternative email address, and they send me access!)

I have a Hotmail account, and access it in multiple countries without any issues. Do you mean when you access from a different device?

You can change verification method to sms if that makes it easier.

Umfortunately have no phone with me.

I'm not the only one being incovenienced.

https://askleo.com/how-do-i-prevent-hotmail-from-locking-me-out-when-i-travel-overseas/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/osecurity-oother/hotmail-keeps-asking-me-to-send-email-to-another/18de0c32-2158-4acb-80c1-8ac0bd72ec11?auth=1

Problem is, it needs to be permanent as you won't be able to access the Hotmail account to amend the alternative address.

It is permanent, the trouble is it's visible to anyone who knows the address and has a mind to read it

Ah ok. Still not sure it's a good idea as a verification email would be sent to it containing a link to access Hotmail.

So long as the mailinator address is uncommon and you delete it immediately it would probably be OK. You can't access the hotmail session from the code alone. You need the cookies on the browser where the login was initiated. That's why switching browsers or PCs starts this whole 2 factor authentication rigmarole.

Ah ok. Still not sure it's a good idea as a verification email would be sent to it containing a link to access Hotmail.

That would presumably be valid only for a short time, so unlikely to help an intruder unless they know exactly when you're using it.

Apart from your ISP, gmail would be a kind-of obvious suggestion.

I have now gmailed up, but it turns out the security committee at hotmail were expecting me to remember what name I had signed up with, my birthdate, and my location, all of which I may have made up or forgotten anyway, let alone remebering any folders, recent emails, or contacts.

So I shall have to wait until I return before I can (hopefully) have access to my account.

I still don't understand securitywise why hotmail demand another email account. They still have to ask all those questions on their own login page, after I got the access code. I suppose it shows I'm not a bot.

Anyway, I already started using the gmail, so may not need to go back to hotmail anyway.