House Price Crash Forum

Do Planes Have Airbags?

Guest eight

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest eight

I once flew business class (for work) and had an airbag in my lap belt. No idea what good it would have done though.

Interesting. It was in response to this story - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/girl-aged-4-suffers-devastating-7565652 - quite clearly a puff piece for Irwin Mitchell Solicitors, which reads strangely in many respects.

Do you really want explosive charges in an aircraft cabin?

HOLA444
HOLA445

According to Billy Connolly, that's what lifejackets are for - you inflate them when the plane's heading for a crash on a mountainside, then simultaneously throw them at the mountain shouting "Go away nasty mountain!" - in other words, airbags would be useless in a plane crash - have you any idea the forces involved when a plane hurtles into the ground? My uncle was a Lancaster pilot whose plane was shot down over the Netherlands in 1944. The whole crew of seven was buried in a mass grave because of the difficulty of separating them.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest eight

According to Billy Connolly, that's what lifejackets are for - you inflate them when the plane's heading for a crash on a mountainside, then simultaneously throw them at the mountain shouting "Go away nasty mountain!" - in other words, airbags would be useless in a plane crash - have you any idea the forces involved when a plane hurtles into the ground? My uncle was a Lancaster pilot whose plane was shot down over the Netherlands in 1944. The whole crew of seven was buried in a mass grave because of the difficulty of separating them.

Yes, I'm well aware of the forces involved, hence why I asked the question. Has anybody actually read the link? I find it incredibly odd that they were apparently left to their own devices to seek medical attention upon landing. Also, would a mid-flight accidental airbag detonation lead to an emergency landing, or at least a diversion? Would the plane be rendered non-airworthy (not least because a seat deemed worthy of requiring an operational airbag now no longer had one)?

I have my suspicions about the veracity of this tale.

HOLA449
Guest eight

For turbulence!!

I would imagine that three hundred-odd simultaneous airbag deployments would indeed cause turbulence, of a kind.

HOLA4410

Planes don't have airbags, because there's always a fat ball bearing salesman from Wolverhampton if front of you that pushes his seat right back. :(

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I once read that the best way to make crashes survivable would be to make the seats face backwards but there's some fuel efficiency reason not to do that.

In fact British military transports have had rear facing seats for donkeys years and their safety record is superb. The reason it is not done in the commercial world is nothing to do with fuel, simply that the punters don't like them.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I suppose airlines would worry about them going off accidentally and there being mass lawsuits. They get regular lawsuits re airbags in cars in the US.

Also, just like cars, there would be occasionally faults found resulting in all the airbags needing to be changed which would create a lot of down time for the aircraft.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived