House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

One In Three Families Has Both Parents In Full-Time Jobs As Number Of Working Mothers Rises

One in three families has BOTH parents in full-time jobs as number of working mothers rises

Almost one British home in three is now headed by parents who both have full-time jobs, a survey found yesterday, as number of working mothers is up by 15 per cent in just 12 years.

Housing costs, living costs and low wages forcing people to work?

One in three families has BOTH parents in full-time jobs as number of working mothers rises

Almost one British home in three is now headed by parents who both have full-time jobs, a survey found yesterday, as number of working mothers is up by 15 per cent in just 12 years.

And debt servicing? Gotta find the money to pay off that £400k house you won't spend any time in, and pay that rental car you don't get paid to sit in on the jammed commute to the job you wouldn't clamber for if you didn't have so many bills.

The nation is ill. It's collectively depressed and doesn't know it.

Bad for children. Bad for society in general. Bad for mental health etc etc.

The only people this suits are bankers/Government.

and two British homes in three are single people on zero hours contracts? Of course the singles figure is unlikely to be as high as that but it demonstrates how yet again only a fragment of the whole picture is released for public consumption.

It's another ring fenced statistic without connection to the rest of the picture. Making people having to guess what it really means - that's if they don't just accept the conclusions drawn for them in the article.

Edited by billybong

and two British homes in three are single people on zero hours contracts? Of course the singles figure is unlikely to be as high as that but it demonstrates how yet again only a fragment of the whole picture is released for public consumption.

It's another ring fenced statistic without connection to the rest of the picture. Making people having to guess what it really means - that's if they don't just accept the conclusions drawn for them in the article.

plus all the people who don't have a job and have rarely if ever worked and on benefits of one kind or another, male and female

Wow im surprised its that low, shows there is more capacity in the economy, the days of families living off one earner long term should have been over a while ago.

Maybe you could free up a bit more of your 'capacity' by refraining from wasting your productive time on web forums and sticking a broom up your @rse whilst you are at it.

More of the older mortgages might be single income. It would be interesting to see a percentage of mortgages issued per year, with a breakdown of lending multiples 3x, 3x + 1 second, 2.5x joint, 3x joint, etc.

In 2014 when the FPC decided "only 15% of mortgages could be greater than 4.5x household income" the average at the time was only 3.2x. About 3.35x at the Nationwide

loan-to-income-ratios-and-house-prices%2

On the day of that so called FPC "limit" I said "The stay at home mother has just died" http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/199374-financial-stability-report-june-2014-live-press-conference-1030am/page-2#entry1102539552

More of the older mortgages might be single income. It would be interesting to see a percentage of mortgages issued per year, with a breakdown of lending multiples 3x, 3x + 1 second, 2.5x joint, 3x joint, etc.

In 2014 when the FPC decided "only 15% of mortgages could be greater than 4.5x household income" the average at the time was only 3.2x. About 3.35x at the Nationwide

loan-to-income-ratios-and-house-prices%2

On the day of that so called FPC "limit" I said "The stay at home mother has just died" http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/199374-financial-stability-report-june-2014-live-press-conference-1030am/page-2#entry1102539552

The period 2000-05 was clearly critical. LTI's went from ~2.35 to 3.15 while house prices more than doubled (~£70K to £150K) implying a change in mean qualifying income from £29K to £47K (approx).

Edited by zugzwang

The period 2000-05 was clearly critical. LTI's went from ~2.35 to 3.15 while house prices more than doubled (~£70K to £150K) implying a change in qualifying income from approx. £29K to £47K.

Fag packet calcs... say 2000 was 3x main + 1 x second incomes of £20k and £10k house price is £70k. Then later say incomes £35k and 3.15x joint = £110k. As lending multiples increase people start liar loaning to compete, IO also grows and the capital appreciation makes BTL more attractive, all contributes to make up the shortfall to £150k?

Now that children are not being brought up adequately, perhaps the next stage is to sign them up for debt also, like in Sweden with the 100 year mortgage. You could harvest their organs too for some cash.

I mean really f*** children, who cares about them anyway.

(all sarcasm)

And debt servicing? Gotta find the money to pay off that £400k house you won't spend any time in, and pay that rental car you don't get paid to sit in on the jammed commute to the job you wouldn't clamber for if you didn't have so many bills.

The nation is ill. It's collectively depressed and doesn't know it.

You mean that 2 bed flat in London the work is? or conversely at £400k mansion where there is no work. It would seem like we are in the situation where we are stuck with big mortgages owned by the bankster parasites or greedy landlord parasites.

I

In fact back in the 70's when my parents were both working full time with a mortgage and 3 kids it was easy and normal to have both working, most certainly amongst those of working class (70%+ of the population)

Now it is a luxury for both parents to have a full time job.

To sum it all up in one sentence all two incomes eventually achieved was that everybody can 'afford' to pay more for the same as far as housing is concerned, a bankers and speculators wet dream.

I

In fact back in the 70's when my parents were both working full time with a mortgage and 3 kids it was easy and normal to have both working, most certainly amongst those of working class (70%+ of the population)

Now it is a luxury for both parents to have a full time job.

It depended on the location. For sure in London and parts of the SE it was more prevalent, necessary and even normal because of relatively high house prices and generally high cost of living in those parts. Elsewhere in the UK one suspects not so much. Even in the SE the sort of jobs females did was still quite restricted often with low earnings and a lot of fill in time/hobby/pin money type jobs - far fewer professional/managerial type jobs for women in those days.

It wasn't so normal outside of the SE in the 70s as the feminism/equality theme had only just started to gain momentum in the UK then - there was still a homemaker theme for lots of women in those days.

In 2016 even if jobs are more scarce both parents working is culturally unremarkable and isn't out of the ordinary in most locations - and it's become more and more necessary as UK living standards and UK quality of life relentlessly declines year in year out.

Edited by billybong

Maybe you could free up a bit more of your 'capacity' by refraining from wasting your productive time on web forums and sticking a broom up your @rse whilst you are at it.

Pot..... Kettle..... Black...... What a pleasant fellow you are, I supposed you preferred the days of the woman staying at home, being seen as a second class citizen... Get back in your cave...

Pot..... Kettle..... Black...... What a pleasant fellow you are, I supposed you preferred the days of the woman staying at home, being seen as a second class citizen... Get back in your cave...

I liked the fact that my mum was there for me when I got home from school. Don't think anyone ever saw her as a second class citizen. I worked my a#se off to make sure my wife didn't have to go to work and could do the vital job of raising our young children.

To work as a mother of young children should be a matter of choice. That choice has been taken away. It is to the detriment of society as a whole.

I liked the fact that my mum was there for me when I got home from school. Don't think anyone ever saw her as a second class citizen. I worked my a#se off to make sure my wife didn't have to go to work and could do the vital job of raising our young children.

To work as a mother of young children should be a matter of choice. That choice has been taken away. It is to the detriment of society as a whole.

How can you say that its been taken away? this statistic does not say that at all, im sure in some instances then yes moms have to work but that has always been the case even 100yrs ago, taking in extra washing etc. How do you get from one third of mums work to they have to work? I know a lot of parents where they decide instead of the dad working loads and the mum staying at home they more evenly share the load.

My dad worked extremely hard when I was growing up so my mum didnt have to work, and yeah it was great having my mum around but actually looking back I would have liked to see more of my dad, I think in this more modern world dads are expected to participate and share the responsibility of raising the kids and the trade off to that is more mums work...

People make lifestyle choices, having kids is a choice, before you have them you should be thinking about how you can afford them... Unfortunately some in society on benefits just keep popping them out and keep getting more and more money... We need to get away from the self entitlement society, if like your good self you want to have kids and have one parent stay at home then you need to work towards that, its not like its an impossibility. I agree housing cost in some areas can be the tipping point but its far from the only cost of raising kids.... The government providing free child care will have certainly encouraged more mums back to work...

BTW an interesting point to this story is what are they classing as full-time, some stats show anyone working more than 16hrs as full-time, I see the story has average hours but it doesn't as far as I could see clarify what they are classing as full-time which I think is really important to understand the headline stat.

So a third of mothers work full time. I'd like to see the % of mothers working part time, to get a real feel for the social dynamic. Anecdotal but I only know a handful of mothers at our kids' school do no paid work at all, and this is in a very leafy middle class market town in the London commuter belt. Two incomes is now the norm even for those in more affluent areas. Could be debt, could be aspirational lifestyles, could be mega-mortgages. Either way, the days of middle class mum at home every day are over.

Another storming success of femininism, waves of women going into work. But where as the original idea was for it to be optional, now it's a necessity. Because everyone else is doing it and if you don't you can afford anything.

I actually heard a young mum on the radio the other day feeling guilty because she told her child's nursery that she wanted the child to have a day off as she had a day off herself from her job and wanted to spend time with her child.

The mindset used to be that the parents were paying for the childcare so it was up to them how they used it. Now apparently it's similar to school in that you don't have time off from nursery unless it's for the holidays.

To sum it all up in one sentence all two incomes eventually achieved was that everybody can 'afford' to pay more for the same as far as housing is concerned, a bankers and speculators wet dream.

Exactly, it seemed when I was a kid (80s) there was an element of choice, you could afford a house on one income, but both parents working meant extras and a more comfortable life. Seems reasonable to me.

Now, you have to have dual income to afford a 'normal' mortgage on a normal house around my area (Surrey).

The greatest myth is that the mum's are bored at home and clamouring to return to work. Most come back feeling guilty about leaving their one year old with strangers, constantly on the phone to nursery. They normally come back part time as well, doing what they need to cover the mortgage and a few expenses.