House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecrashingisles

Microsoft Tests Artificial Intelligence On Twitter - It Becomes An Abusive Troll

http://uk.businessinsider.com/microsoft-deletes-racist-genocidal-tweets-from-ai-chatbot-tay-2016-3

Microsoft's new AI chatbot went off the rails on Wednesday, posting a deluge of incredibly racist messages in response to questions.

The tech company introduced "Tay" this week — a bot that responds to users' queries and emulates the casual, jokey speech patterns of a stereotypical millennial.

The aim was to "experiment with and conduct research on conversational understanding," with Tay able to learn from "her" conversations and get progressively "smarter."

But Tay proved a smash hit with racists, trolls, and online troublemakers — who persuaded Tay to blithely use racial slurs, defend white supremacist propaganda, and even outright call for genocide.

Microsoft has now taken Tay offline for "upgrades," and is deleting some of the worst tweets — though many still remain. Microsoft did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

screen%20shot%202016-03-24%20at%2009.50.

screen%20shot%202016-03-24%20at%2011.10.

screen%20shot%202016-03-24%20at%2010.48.

Ha ha, I should get a job as an offensive bot! :unsure:

in other news, AI BS repeats what it reads...cant think for toffee.

Microsoft should try it here, and then see what Tim Peake posts from space. :blink:

I'm laughing. Full nazi inside 24 hours.

I think we need to extend Goodwin's Law to AI.

The issue is that these systems still aren't genuinely intelligent, they are basically using clever algorithms to exhibit or repeat certain learned/trained behaviours and characteristics. They might pass a Turing test, but I think most now agree a Turing test is inadequate. I don't yet subscribe to the Ray Kurzweil view that we are approaching what he terms the singularity, where machine intelligence grows exponentially because smarter machine can build and design even smarter machines.

I think some of the issues for machine intelligence are that we are nowhere near achieving some of the key technology requirements such as lower power density, connectivity density and the underlying complexity of the computational mechanisms. On this last point most computers are digital, but it is pretty clear humans and animals brains are more analogue in nature, with synapses etc firing at different levels. There is also some suggestions, still to be proven, that human brain may even make use at some levels of quantum processes.

Given the above points, I suspect what we will see is current AI being able to handle of a lot of parallel inputs and do some very complex tasks for a machine (like driving), but I suspect we could still be a hundred years away from real AI. Computers are getting a lot faster, but they are basically faster at doing the same thing over and over again in terms of the CPU (e.g. load Integer etc), and whilst the real smarts are in the software, all the software is really doing is orchestrating loads of the same old underlying repeat processes. My personal view is that we probably really need to wait for either some more organic techniques (artificial life) , or perhaps we may see the return of more analogue systems - though these will be too expensive to make on current course and speed - in fact we may even run out of rare earth metals before any of this can really take off.

AI is a mirror to us. Don't be surprised what you see.

I'm upgrading to Pin 10.0.

Unless....thijs demonstrates that fascism and racism are the most logical belief system...

:blink:

Is Damik AI?

It certainly didn't take him long to go from disagreeing with people to abusing people he disagreed with. I'm surprised the mods didn't boot him.

I'm surprised Sky haven't sent Martin Brunt round to harass it to death.

I'd forgotten about that incident.

There seems to be a subtle attempt to brand anyone diagreeing with the MSM consensus a troll.

I'm surprised Sky haven't sent Martin Brunt round to harass it to death.

Get him on the case; he's not hounded anybody to their death for months so he must be getting a bit twitchy.