House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Banner

Renting Clothes.

BBC News are doing a business piece this morning on renting clothes.

Soon we will be encouraged to rent everything, except houses, to free up more capital to use as a deposit on an overpriced house :rolleyes:.

BBC News are doing a business piece this morning on renting clothes.

Sounds like a jolly good idea. A clotheslord, unlike so many shops, will have an incentive to use decent quality manufacturers and supply clothes that won't fall apart through normal wear-and-tear.

A previous flat mate of mine would constantly buy and sell designer clothes and handbags. I can't imagine that she made much, if any profit from it. Her salary wasn't in the Louis Vuitton handbag range so she was essentially renting a bunch of designer hear.

Buying clothes on credit is essentially hire-purchase too.

Collectively we rent our money supply from the cartel of commercial banks, the majority of it through domestic mortgages.

Why do we continue with this unnecessary and expensive system which drains our productive economy and blights our lives?

An adequate debt free money supply should be issued publicly as a common utility - issued by the people for the people.

Wouldn't work for me. I buy cheap, wear for ages then put it in the recycling rags bin when it's worn out. I've opted out of the consumer society. :)

Wouldn't work for me. I buy cheap, wear for ages then put it in the recycling rags bin when it's worn out. I've opted out of the consumer society. :)

I think most of us on here have. Talk about group think and sharing a similar mindset! :P

I think most of us on here have. Talk about group think and sharing a similar mindset! :P

Yeah, same. For example, couple of pairs of trousers I regularly wear on rotation until they wear out. Missus buys me other clothes but they rarely suit.

How many things would they like people to rent now....there must be money to be made from it.

Property, land, cars, phones, clothes, TV services, tools, bikes, solar panels etc...and yes of course money.

I have rented a ballgown before, some years back, but these days you can get designer dresses fairly cheaply from Ebay. Probably makes more sense than renting, because you can sell them on again after you wear them for a big event. There's less mileage in this sort of idea than there used to be, I think, because cheap clothes are so easily available. Either new from Primark or similar, or posher label from Ebay.

I have rented a ballgown before, some years back, but these days you can get designer dresses fairly cheaply from Ebay. Probably makes more sense than renting, because you can sell them on again after you wear them for a big event. There's less mileage in this sort of idea than there used to be, I think, because cheap clothes are so easily available. Either new from Primark or similar, or posher label from Ebay.

Never rented clothes, but buy expensive designer label dresses on Ebay (2nd hand) wear them for whatever event and unless I really like it, sell it on again on Ebay. Makes the cost of buying gear for special events negligible. I'm a total quality clothes snob and would rather buy good gear second hand, than some cheap Primark carp new.

I've had plenty of the cheapo crap in my time. But childbearing and not being as young as I was mean I can no longer pour myself into any old skimpy tat and look presentable, so the better cut stuff it has to be. Ebay is a wonderful thing.

I think this is an excellent idea. I shall now borrow more money than I can ever possibly hope to repay, in order to corner the market in underpants. Once I have driven up the price of pants, there will follow a period in which I will look down on people who can no longer afford to buy their own pants from a position of effortless superiority. These people will obviously have to rent their pants from me due to some moral failing or stupidity on their part. There will also be opportunities for Knicker Agents to charge my victims customers huge entirely appropriate administration fees for renting underwear to them.

Naturally any attempt to interfere with my business model and create a boxer-owning democracy will be met with howls of outrage, hopeless litigation and badly-worded letters to the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Or possibly the Thong Secretary.