House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Parking Ticket In Lambeth

After getting home from work this afternoon, I found that I had received a parking enforcement letter from Lambeth Council, saying that at 01:02 am on the 14/02/16, that I had stayed in a permit area without a permit.

The only issue with that, is that I was roughly 150 miles away. It has my reg on on the letter, but I haven't even stepped foot in London in the last three years or so.

Part of the letter contains "grounds for representation" where I state my case. How I do prove that I wasn't in the area at the time? Do they photograph vehicles? Its probably either my registration has been cloned, or that the traffic warden wrote my reg down wrong.

Any ideas?

Are you sure it's genuine? In my experience permits are usually required between working hours eg 8am to 8pm. A ticket at 1am seems odd.

They will have pics on the website.

Bingo! I've just had a delve on their website. The reg on the photos is very close to mine. It shows that nobody at Lambeth council checks the reg in the photos against the reg they've made a claim against. I didn't know wardens worked so late...

OP, you should be able to get it recinded. Some similar reg plates can be found on very different vehicles so use that info too, if required. Seem to recall a letter to Honest John where someone with a scooter was being pursued as the owner of a 4x4 with a similar plate.

20 seconds on this site would be a decent check before they started sending out threatening letters imo.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

I had a receipt turn up in the post from Lambeth council for a parking release fee(reg plate included on receipt) which turned out had been paid with my wife's credit card details, card not present, by a bloke. Got a refund without issue but did make me wonder if there was a tidy scam on such stuff. Wouldn't have been difficult to use the given reg plate of the released vehicle and start asking questions of the keeper and the staff who take payments, but police were not interested at all.

Bingo! I've just had a delve on their website. The reg on the photos is very close to mine. It shows that nobody at Lambeth council checks the reg in the photos against the reg they've made a claim against. I didn't know wardens worked so late...

Retards.

In fairness, you're unlikely to ever have a better opportunity to immortalise yourself amongst the "Sad Faces of Wronged Daily Mail Readers", so hit it hard, I reckon.

Retards.

In fairness, you're unlikely to ever have a better opportunity to immortalise yourself amongst the "Sad Faces of Wronged Daily Mail Readers", so hit it hard, I reckon.

I'd feel dirty if I had to ring up the Wail hotline...

In my statement, I will tell them that they a bunch of halfwits, and that I'd like the cost of a stamp back...I know how to bargain...

Lambeth Council. They need to introduce a training course in reading registration plates for their employees. The aphabet and numbers 1 to 9. Maybe that's part of the problem - education education. Something for their suggestion box.

Lambeth Council. They need to introduce a training course in reading registration plates for their employees. The aphabet and numbers 1 to 9. Maybe that's part of the problem - education education. Something for their suggestion box.

Might as well teach them English too whilst they are at it.

Why not just ignore it and let it run to court ? Turn up and point out the issue. Now they may say well why didn't you contact them before ? But its their mistake - not yours. Get your moment of victory in court and then demand expenses.

I think that's what I would do. Wont get many opportunities in life to feel so good :)

My initial theory that Dave Beans was visiting a prossie in Lambeth on Valentine's Day has proved to be sadly incorrect.

Sadly not. Trying to explain that I was wearing a adult nappy at the time may get a few funny looks...

I could go and contest it, but its around a 250 - 300 mile roundtrip, and it sounds too much of a hassle..

Why not just ignore it and let it run to court ? Turn up and point out the issue. Now they may say well why didn't you contact them before ? But its their mistake - not yours. Get your moment of victory in court and then demand expenses. I think that's what I would do. Wont get many opportunities in life to feel so good :)

Indeed it's their responsibility to check their output. Why didn't they check it before they brought it to court and it's necessary to bring their incompetence to the attention of the court as a very serious matter for concern. Also they would try to profit by cheapskating with people who can't read/write and expect drivers to pick up that tab.

They say lessons will be learnt but they never are and they expect everyone else to pick up their tab for their cheapskating incompetence. That's quite apart from the ever expanding parking zones and parking charges so that they can maintain and bump up their already golden executive pensions and executive wages with no benefit to the general public or the motorist.

It also gets around potential lengthy correspondence with them including them "not receiving your letter" :rolleyes: and them "losing your letter" :rolleyes: when they try to prove that somehow they are still correct, their registration reading is right, their warden is right and you are still responsible to pay the money despite you and your vehicle being nowhere near there at the time

Sadly not. Trying to explain that I was wearing a adult nappy at the time may get a few funny looks...

I could go and contest it, but its around a 250 - 300 mile roundtrip, and it sounds too much of a hassle..

Do you need to actually attend in court ?

Why not just ignore it and let it run to court ? Turn up and point out the issue. Now they may say well why didn't you contact them before ? But its their mistake - not yours. Get your moment of victory in court and then demand expenses. I think that's what I would do. Wont get many opportunities in life to feel so good :)

+1 million, I would love this to go to court (if not for the inconvenience for Dave). And then call the Daily Mail afterwards.

If you have enough time, I would send a letter to the chief exec of the council stating the facts. In the letter say that you have no faith in the systems in their parking department after such an obvious error and so will send all communication to him in future. That you expect the charge to be cancelled with an apology. Also state that you will, following this letter, be charging an hourly rate of XX per hour and travelling/admin expenses for any further actions needed to correct their mistake. Future costs will also include correcting any impact on your credit rating, and any financial loss resulting from any such impact. Ask for a reply within 14 working days.

Then just sit back.

If they mess it up after that, just clock your hours and costs and make the buggers pay. It is the duty of everyone to break the system by pushing up their costs.

If you're writing to them indeed write to the Chief Executive but also an identical letter (or a copy of the CE's letter) to all the other council directors even if they don't seem directly responsible for parking.

Then you can be pretty sure that the letter won't be on the "letter not arrived" excuse list or on the "lost letter" excuse list and there'll also be no excuse for the answer being delayed for reasons such as being "on holiday" or on "sickness leave" or "he/she's moved" or "wrong address" etc etc. Using Recorded Delivery to the CE is often worth it as well.

It might also be worth sending a copy of the letter to the Court that they'll be threatening you with if you don't pay. You could add a postscript on the letter to the CE (and on the other directors' letters as well) that you've sent a copy of the letter to the Court.