House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

We're Already Doomed, Claims Top Climate Scientist

How will this affect property prices in Bournemouth?

I prefer Brighton Rock. You never find a straight one. They are like bananas!

One day one of their cataclysmic predictions might even come true. Make enough of them and it increases the chances.

In the meantime he could at least have given a year for it to happen and referred back to writings of some ancient civilisation (not the mayans again) if only to help the movie makers. I would have suggested 2020 as a nice round number but any future year just to help with the build up of suspense.

They've missed a trick of course as they could have said it'll only happen if there's a Brexit.

Guest eight

Pah. I'll live to see Bournemouth play in the Premier League before this happens.

James Lovelock has been on about this for years.

The conclusion of more than one interview I heard was that only drastic measures would reduce the effect but no country would do anything other than talk and make useless token gestures because those in power care more about short term monetary gain than the possibility of 80% of the world's population being wiped out over the next couple of hundred years.

As an independent scientist working for no vested interests and in his 90s so won't be around to see the carnage, he openly states things as he sees them. This is the same guy who correctly predicted the effect of CFCs on ozone way before anyone bothered to take the idea seriously.

Plenty of interviews with him on youtube. Brilliant guy but seen as an extreme pessimist by the MSM.

All the rocks being hurled ashore will raise the elevation of the shoreline, making us safe from the rising sea levels. Self correcting. Isn't the earth a marvelous system?

(note to self. dont move to bournemouth)

The problem l have in the main is:

Global temperatures have been both colder and warmer regardless of man's influence.

When the global committee decide what temperature the planet ought to be, beyond the anthropogenic factor how much of our time and energy will we as 21st century King Canutes be spending fighting these natural oscillations?

The problem l have in the main is:

Global temperatures have been both colder and warmer regardless of man's influence.

When the global committee decide what temperature the planet ought to be, beyond the anthropogenic factor how much of our time and energy will we as 21st century King Canutes be spending fighting these natural oscillations?

All true.

We (as in the human race in general, not you and me in particular) have created a problem whereby the human population now numbers billions and is encamped in marginal areas where small shifts in weather patterns cause famine and in low lying coastal areas and floodplains all prone to inundation.

So we (usage as above) can no longer just relocate a few miles further up the valley when the sea rises or move to some better-watered agricultural land because they all already occupied.

It is a problem of our own making.

Indeed - and while temperatures have fluctuated a lot previously, it seems most climate scientists now agree that we are responsible for at least some of the change we are now seeing. Canute or not, if even if there's a possibility we can reverse even some of that, we probably should try (as well as consider mitigation).

The climate has always been changing, that is why we must change with it, nothing ever lasts forever. ;)

Doesn't mean that us changing it isn't a bad thing.

Anyway so what if everything gets wrecked, hardly anyone seems to give a sh1t about the world we live in anyway and just seem hell-bent on screwing it up along with those things that make life worth living for anyone not obsessed with the trite for a few conveniences. If we're really doomed (which alas I doubt) then good riddance to bad rubbish.

You only have to look and see governments and big business now forever do things for the short-term.... Why would they be interested in how future generations will have to live their lives unless they can collect money now off the back of it?

Wouldn't be surprised if we eventually help destroy the world created that we all share.

They're still queueing up.

http://www.rense.com/general56/tsu.htm

A Wave of Destruction Will Destroy America's East Coast

Around this time of the year many Britons look towards the Canary Islands for a sunshine break. What most don't know, however, is that on one of the Canary Islands lies a major global catastrophe in the making, a natural disaster so big that it could flatten the Atlantic coastlines of Britain, Europe, North Africa and the United States of America and cause enormous damage to London and other UK cities.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/609496/Scientists-warn-megatsunami-wipe-out-entire-cities-devastation

The Fogo volcano at Cape Verde, which triggered the unprecedented wave, remains one of the world's largest and most active island volcanoes.

The volcano suddenly became active late last year.

Seismologists said the eruption in November was one of the strongest ever recorded on the island.

Experts fear another powerful eruption could send a devastating mega-tsunami across the Atlantic Ocean.

Future generations aren't likely to be any more interested than the present generation to be honest. People have been and always will be people, with life and the world completely wasted on them, so will continue to fvck it over for superficial, banal "improvements". So really a big environmental disaster (not that I'm all that convinced we'll get one) probably won't affect them that much.

Until people seem more keen for a quieter, slower, more attractive world and are willing to shoot anyone even suggesting anything to make it faster, busier, uglier, more developed, more characterless etc. then I want the whole lot to get wiped out.

So what the OP is saying is there would be some considerable upsides?

That's why I spend all my money on petrol and drive laps of the M60 in my spare time.