House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
happy_renting

Reading Muppet Council

Reading Council has just announced a plan to buy 100 homes ayear in the area for the next 5 years, to let them out. 500 in total.

Some will be let out at 'market rents', any profits being used to subsidise the rents on the rest of the properties, which is 'emergency housing'.

The reason being given that rental housing is too expensive in the area, and people can't afford to buy in the area.

So they willl 'invest' taxpayers money in a rental market that is otherwise likely to fall because of the new BTL taxation regime, and thus prop up house prices as a result of their 'investment'.

****ing muppets - and I bet a few Councillors are BTL landlords to boot.

Edited by happy_renting

put a FOI in about how they wil choose the properties. Which landlords will be chosen to be relieved of their properties?

No doubt one or two members getting nervous and looked for a quick exit

I thought local government was supposed to be broke... 500 properties at, say, £250k a pop is £125m.

This is such a stupid idea. On a positive note, 500 homes in Reading is a drop in the ocean and I'd rather rent from council than from slumlords.

It will be interesting to see how the transactions will happen - there is a lot of kite-flying at the moment, as the advertised prices are more like £300-350k rather than £250k.

Council buys houses at high prices, then sells them hugely reduced on right to buy?

How much will council tax need to go up in the future to pay for a guaranteed loss making scheme?

Edit to add... it's not just about who the council is buying these houses from, it's which lucky people are going to rent them and ultimately buy at a huge discount.

Edited by Democorruptcy

Must have a lot of money. The council round here is trying to sell its land holding for development (not much success, full of nimbys and the clowncillors seem to pick land for sale nowhere near them, raising accusations of their own nimbyism) presumably to fund pensions or something.

I'm not a Reading resident BTW.

A FOI request might be more revealing after the property transactions have taken place - but then, too late to do much about it.

Keep a look out for similar shenanigans in your own local authority areas, folks.

Must have a lot of money. The council round here is trying to sell its land holding for development (not much success, full of nimbys and the clowncillors seem to pick land for sale nowhere near them, raising accusations of their own nimbyism) presumably to fund pensions or something.

I heard a retired bloke in the pub recently who used to be a councillor, saying he is always telling people complaining about building, to join the council to block it.

Just a local manifestation of what happens nationally. Government is using taxpayers money to bid up house prices and rents. HTB 1-3, Lha etc. Government is setting the market price by acting as buyer, rent payer and lender for the whole market. I can't see how they can be stopped.