House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sukuinage

Travelling In Kyrgyzstan

Planning my summer holiday and have a long-standing invitation to visit a friend in Kyrgyzstan. Thought I would plan a couple of weeks touring and wanted to see if the HPC experts had any tips or advice. I'd also like to travel to Bokhara but don't want to spend all my time driving. My friend from Bishkek will accompany me so language will not be a problem, nor, I would imagine, will meeting locals.

Any suggestions? Has anyone been there?

Not a clue !!

Sounds good though. Watch out for Ken on his motorbike. If he invites you for dinner politely decline.

Not a clue !!

Sounds good though. Watch out for Ken on his motorbike. If he invites you for dinner politely decline.

Funny you should mention that.

I am reminded of a travel doc that I saw many years ago with a group of 3 or 4 young Britis hitch-hiking through this part of the world.

They came to a village and the locals were incredibly friendly and welcoming, inviting them in for a wonderful slap-up supper, booze and a place to sleep at night. Sometime in the night or early next morning - can't recall which - the locals turned nasty and basically demanded to be paid for the food and accomodation. Basically they robbed the Brits.

Planning my summer holiday and have a long-standing invitation to visit a friend in Kyrgyzstan. Thought I would plan a couple of weeks touring and wanted to see if the HPC experts had any tips or advice. I'd also like to travel to Bokhara but don't want to spend all my time driving. My friend from Bishkek will accompany me so language will not be a problem, nor, I would imagine, will meeting locals.

Any suggestions? Has anyone been there?

Never been there, although I am sure it would be a great destination for silencing travel bores, even better if I could actually pronounce it.

My travel bore silencer is that I have been to the eurasian pole of inaccessibility. And no, I wouldn't recommend it although I'm sure anyone who paid to get their with their own money would be waxing lyrical about the place.

Funny you should mention that.

I am reminded of a travel doc that I saw many years ago with a group of 3 or 4 young Britis hitch-hiking through this part of the world.

They came to a village and the locals were incredibly friendly and welcoming, inviting them in for a wonderful slap-up supper, booze and a place to sleep at night. Sometime in the night or early next morning - can't recall which - the locals turned nasty and basically demanded to be paid for the food and accomodation. Basically they robbed the Brits.

Maybe the Brits should have familiarised themselves with the concept of a hotel before they went travelling,

Yes, apparently there is a premier inn in every town and village.

The idea that you can rock up in a place where the average yearly salary is maybe 1/20th of yours and they live in poverty, drink all their fine wine and eat their best food, then piss off the next morning with nothing more than a cheery wave and a growing pain in your gut may work very well in some tourists fantasy world but IME the real world is somewhat less generous. Call me cynical if you want.

Not been to Kyrgyzstan, but have been to neighbouring Uzbekistan on holiday which seemed a bit of a hangover from the Soviet era. You will most likely need to register at the police when you stay somewhere, may get a government minder and remember never to be critical of the regime and President in public. There is a nice TV show about the region which covers Kyrgyz called "Meet the Stans" here ->

You might also want to see if you can watch The Ambassadors to get a feel for the region (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambassadors_%28TV_series%29)

Sorry forgot to mention on the Bokhara front you could fly from Bishkek to Tashkent and then from Tashkent to Bokhara. Also worth visiting Khiva if you get the chance but that is a very long drive. Make sure you try the local dish Plov (usually served on Fridays). You will need a visa if visiting Uzbek and do not over stay it! Please let us know how your visit was as I would love to visit Kyrgyz.

The idea that you can rock up in a place where the average yearly salary is maybe 1/20th of yours and they live in poverty, drink all their fine wine and eat their best food, then piss off the next morning with nothing more than a cheery wave and a growing pain in your gut may work very well in some tourists fantasy world but IME the real world is somewhat less generous. Call me cynical if you want.

There are many places across the globe where this happens and its all fine.

There are many places across the globe where this happens and its all fine.

You should write a guide book then - you'll make a fortune teaching people how to get free food and accommodation off the locals.

I've been treated in an amazingly generous way by many people on my travels and I am very grateful for it, but when you put it into context it's all relative. People who spend all their time just trying to survive are unlikely to either want to or be able to act in a generous way, and that's a significant percentage of the world, especially off the tourist track. It's certainly not something you should take as a given, and you might argue that its exploitative to try and do so.

You should write a guide book then - you'll make a fortune teaching people how to get free food and accommodation off the locals.

I've been treated in an amazingly generous way by many people on my travels and I am very grateful for it, but when you put it into context it's all relative. People who spend all their time just trying to survive are unlikely to either want to or be able to act in a generous way, and that's a significant percentage of the world, especially off the tourist track. It's certainly not something you should take as a given, and you might argue that its exploitative to try and do so.

Depends if it's offered or not.

If you arrive somewhere,don't know where to stay, and some locals offer to put you up and don't intimate they expect anything back from you in return ?

Well yes - if they then proceed to rob you - they are grade A *****.

Whether they are a multi millionaire from Manhattan or a shepherd from Uzbekistan makes no difference.

A **** is a ****.

Lol entitlement culture again. I must get re-born as a luurvie and call my children weird and wonder names like moonbeam and sunshine.

We're so big on giving to charity and doing runs and things in this country now, but when we go abroad we expect everything for free from the poor. We're not Prince Charles you know on a jolly up flying BA.

---

Always assume you ARE GOING TO MAKE A CONTRIBUTION / DONATION. £50 makes a hell of a difference you know. If you are not - THEN DON'T STAY IN SOME ONES HOUSE FOR FREE. Doh. Maybe a good robbing might do some people good, but I doubt it.

Morning. Thanks for all the information, think I'll be planning on a hotel or guest house rather than relying on local hospitality :D . I'll be traveling with a local lady so maybe Masked Tulip's video is appropriate! I won't be harming the eyesight of small boys either - everyone knows that the best carpets are woven by girls as their finger are smaller <_<

Morning. Thanks for all the information, think I'll be planning on a hotel or guest house rather than relying on local hospitality :D . I'll be traveling with a local lady so maybe Masked Tulip's video is appropriate! I won't be harming the eyesight of small boys either - everyone knows that the best carpets are woven by girls as their finger are smaller <_<

Bring us back a wife. Petite, curvy, nice bottom and thighs. A waist. Oh, and a head. Preferably all connected.

Bring us back a wife. Petite, curvy, nice bottom and thighs. A waist. Oh, and a head. Preferably all connected.

Picky.

TBH if you have a friend in the country you already have more than you need to have a really good time and are unlikely to come across any advice in here that is any better (than hers/his I mean). Enjoy your trip.

TBH if you have a friend in the country you already have more than you need to have a really good time and are unlikely to come across any advice in here that is any better (than hers/his I mean). Enjoy your trip.

But make sure you give the friend £50 or he might kill you.

Kidnapped or willing?

The unwilling ones perform better in the dungeon.

Edit:

(It is OK for me to do this now - I just converted to the religion of peace. Apparently every conversion throws in a well paid job at the BBC as well?).

I suspect the 'friend' is someone at the other end of an email on www.wehavenofishonthesteppe.com