House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

How Long Can Osborne Last

http://news.sky.com/story/1663944/pm-absolutely-has-confidence-in-osborne

It's a bit like a banker saying your money is safe....as soon as they say it, you know it's game over

How long will Osborne last now ?

The queens 3rd cousin has to be the next PM for sure.

Hopefully if he goes he will in indicted for fraud for pushing HTB onto the country.

http://news.sky.com/story/1663944/pm-absolutely-has-confidence-in-osborne

It's a bit like a banker saying your money is safe....as soon as they say it, you know it's game over

How long will Osborne last now ?

The queens 3rd cousin has to be the next PM for sure.

Hopefully if he goes he will in indicted for fraud for pushing HTB onto the country.

Depends on how they manage UC + IDS.

Even if they kitchen sink it on IDS they've still got the rpoblems is that they gave the most important task to an un-likeable thicket.

I must admit I used to buy into that guff about Osborne being the ultimate canny politician, and that he was a shoe-in to succeed Cameron. Don't see it now though, even before this budget, which is the final nail in the coffin I think. How many major ****-ups and u-turns have we had now in his budgets? Pasty-gate seems a long time ago!

I must admit I used to buy into that guff about Osborne being the ultimate canny politician, and that he was a shoe-in to succeed Cameron. Don't see it now though, even before this budget, which is the final nail in the coffin I think. How many major ****-ups and u-turns have we had now in his budgets? Pasty-gate seems a long time ago!

He was lucky, in some ways, in following Brown.

As long as he did not blow up the country he was guaranteed to be better.

But, 6 years in, he's fannied and faltered, not sorted out TCs, underwritten Browns high house prices, continued with Browns huge deficit and run up a massive national debt.

Most political systems give you 1000 days to go for it.

Due to the coalitition and chickening it they failed to grasp it.

Has he really done anything this time that is so much worse than previous budgets ? Don't get me wrong I'm well p1ssed off with this lot over housing policy generally, all the same...

Also, been reading up on IDS and to be honest as far as I can work out he's lucky to have the 'dignity' of voluntarily resigning.

Bit of a peculiar situation taking all into account.

Osborne branded ‘CHICKEN’ as he dodges MPs’ grilling over Budget disaster GEORGE OSBORNE was today branded ‘chicken’ after the Chancellor dodged calls to explain his Budget disaster. Labour attempted to haul Mr Osborne to the House of Commons this afternoon to answer MPs’ questions after he scrapped controversial £4billion cuts to disability benefits, which were originally included in last Wednesday’s Budget. But it is believed the Chancellor will instead send Financial Secretary to the Treasury David Gauke to face the Commons grilling.

A vote in favour of Brexit will finish him off I reckon & with the arguments over the referendum weakening his position before the vote.

To have created a situation in which tax cuts for the better off were seen to be paid for by taking the money from the disabled shows a remarkable lack of political savvy- but I doubt Osborne is quite that dumb. I think the real explanation is somehow worse- he actually seems to have expected to gain brownie points for enacting a perfect ideological coup in the form of converting welfare payments into tax cuts.

There is a fake Chinese proverb that states; " Do not swat fly on friends head with hammer" - it seems that Osborne was so focused on his reputation as an anti welfare tax cutting hero that the potential collateral damage to the reputation of the party escaped him. With this single act of folly he has undone a decade of detoxification of the Tory brand as the 'nasty party' only interested in helping the rich.

I though Boris was the clumsy one, with Osborne being the slick operator- those roles look like being reversed now.

To have created a situation in which tax cuts for the better off were seen to be paid for by taking the money from the disabled shows a remarkable lack of political savvy- but I doubt Osborne is quite that dumb. I think the real explanation is somehow worse- he actually seems to have expected to gain brownie points for enacting a perfect ideological coup in the form of converting welfare payments into tax cuts.

There is a fake Chinese proverb that states; " Do not swat fly on friends head with hammer" - it seems that Osborne was so focused on his reputation as an anti welfare tax cutting hero that the potential collateral damage to the reputation of the party escaped him. With this single act of folly he has undone a decade of detoxification of the Tory brand as the 'nasty party' only interested in helping the rich.

I though Boris was the clumsy one, with Osborne being the slick operator- those roles look like being reversed now.

Quite possibly, but is that how it works? Does the chancellor sit it in his office a week before budget day, sucking his pen, staring at the ceiling, making it up as he goes? Or does he have an army of advisors, economists, learned people who carefully prepare the economic future of our once great country? I sincerely hope it's the latter.

To have created a situation in which tax cuts for the better off were seen to be paid for by taking the money from the disabled shows a remarkable lack of political savvy-

Bankers: Better off

The queen: Better off

The establishment: Better off

The rich: Better off

House prices: Through the roof in London

That's the opposite from political savvy, this **** could spark off a revolution.

Quite possibly, but is that how it works? Does the chancellor sit it in his office a week before budget day, sucking his pen, staring at the ceiling, making it up as he goes? Or does he have an army of advisors, economists, learned people who carefully prepare the economic future of our once great country? I sincerely hope it's the latter.

I remember seeing a BBC report ( i think ) years ago which should the MP "lilley" (IIRC) sitting round a table with his advisors thinking up new ways to tax us. It all looked like a jolly jape for those boys. That sickened me at the time.

To say the establishment in the UK is rotten is quite possible the understatement of the century

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Osborne's position is undermined by the fact that Cameron will not be seeking reelection, so it is quite likely he'll be out of a job by the end of the Parliament anyway, unless he is considered PM material. Surely not.

Edited by The Knimbies who say No

Its a barking mad idea but at this point quite plausible. Frankly I'm not quite sure how they've got away with what they have, but increasingly curious about how the media have chosen to frame these events.

The thing is, its hardly the first tax cut. Tbh to me it looked like a merry go round of spending cuts undone by tax cuts/giveaways thereby needing more cuts - i.e. a sort of ideological state cutting pump. The media appeared to allow him a straight run at this so its interesting that suddenly now its rank hypocrisy. There have been some terrible stories about the consequences of IDS reform on the other hand. Its almost as if IDS suddenly decided to simply outsource the blame back on Osbourne (yes I've heard of the Judge ordering files from the DWP to be released).

Maybe the fact of the matter is that Boris/Gove have the support of the RW establishment, bye bye Osbourne and hopefully culpability for the last 6 years ?

Tories have been pretty spineless IMO in backtracking every time a tough decision has come up, but the state of the country does not give them the mandate to enact the policy Osbourne wants.

You can enforce those sort of cuts if everyone knows the country is in deep do-do, but its not apparent to everyone that it is.

Now you can really see that it is starting to become a major battle between budget deficit ideology and the realisation that there is nothing that can be chopped any more without it causing a massive row.

I can't see Osbourne winning this one, because it doesn't make any sense politically to enact harsh policy when the country isn't under any pressure. Problem is he has lined his name up behind achieving the deficit reduction and if that goes, he goes.

Edited by Gigantic Purple Slug

It is not apparent to everyone because MPs rewarded themselves with 10% pay rises a few months ago in this age of austerity...... All in it together...yeah right.;)

Tories have been pretty spineless IMO in backtracking every time a tough decision has come up, but the state of the country does not give them the mandate to enact the policy Osbourne wants.

This is the bit that I find odd. I was all in favour of the TC cuts (less so the pasty tax), but surely they try and get some sense of how a policy change as significant as that is likely to play with the public? They seem to be just throwing policies out there and u-turning at the drop of a hat every time there is a bit of an outcry. Where's the leadership, and where are the balls? It's a shambles and I think this is one u-turn too many for Osborne. In any case I don't think he's electable as PM - remember his reception at the Olympics? He is widely despised, much more so that Cameron IMO and by all sides and for a wide range of reasons.