House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Irish Tourists Injured In Turkey Bombing

Just Breaking, all Irish Citizens being warned about travelling to Turkey.

http://m.independent.ie/world-news/europe/irish-people-confirmed-amongst-injured-in-deadly-istanbul-suicide-bomb-attack-34554793.html

The Department of Foreign Affairs has updated its travel advice to Irish citizens going to Turkey.

In a tweet today it said anyone travelling to the country should exercise "extreme caution" as the "threat of terrorism" remains "extremely high".

Yea this isn't & hasn't been their usual MO, it's the first thing i thought when i read the article.

There's a splinter Kurd org that is wholey funded by Russia and does its bidding.

Why would the Kurds be targetting Westerners let alone the Irish?

Why the Kurds? It reeks of a Mossad false flag to me (just like the one in Ankara a few weeks ago).

There are 23 dead according to the Gloucester Citizen. Actually, there aren't; it is still 5. They have managed to mix it up with and link to (the Mail link below) a 2003 bombing of two synagogues in Istanbul where 23 were killed.

Quality journalism at its absolute best :D

23 people killed in alleged terrorist attack in tourist shopping area of Instanbul

By CitizenNews | Posted: March 19, 2016

23 people have been killed in an alleged terrorist attack in a tourist shopping area in Istanbul this morning.

Scores more were also wounded in the attack less than a week after a car com in Ankara killed 37 and injured 125.

Footage shows people running down streets in panic and others have been seen helping the wounded.

The bomber, who was killed in the attack, was planning on detonating the device in a more crowed place but was deterred, the MailOnline reports.

Initial findings indicated that the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) or an affiliate were responsible for the bombing although officials said ISIS may be involved.

The latest events have led President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to vow he will bring terrorism 'to its knees'.

Mr Erdogan said Turkey would use its right to self-defence to prevent future attacks and called for national unity.

He said: 'Our people should not worry, the struggle against terrorism will for certain end in success and terrorism will be brought to its knees.'

Following the attack on Saturday morning, Mevlut Cavusoglu, foreign minister, reiterated Mr Erdogan's comments and said the country's fight against terrorism would continue with full force.

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/people-killed-alleged-terrorist-attack-tourist/story-28954586-detail/story.html

I've read than many Cruise lines have dropped Istanbul from their shore itineraries.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=6769

(12 p.m. EST) -- With global fears about terrorism still influencing travel, cruise lines have been eyeing itineraries that include Turkey, with some canceling planned port stops in 2016.

Crystal, Disney and MSC Cruises have already announced that they will not stop in Turkey in 2016; Celebrity Cruises has canceled overnights in Istanbul. Today, the three lines that fall under Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings - Norwegian Cruise Lines, Oceania and Regent Seven Seas -- said they were suspending all calls to Turkey in 2016 as well.

The cancelation by Norwegian Cruise Lines Holdings' three lines -- affecting 61 itineraries total -- did not come without a lot of thought. At an event in Miami this week, CEO Frank Del Rio called it "one of the toughest decisions" he's ever had to make, itinerary-wise.

"Turkey is very dear to our hearts," he said. "When Turkey and the Greek Islands are calm and collected, it's the best destination for us,.but given what has happened to Turkey over the last several months, and with all the intelligence that we subscribe to, we believe that the correct course of action is to not call on Turkish ports for 2016."

The above is from the 12th jan 2016 that was before all the recent bombings.

Quite a few Israelis dead / injured.

Seems like the work of IS to me, will Turkey want to admit to that?

I wish I had visited some places I am interested in about 10 years ago, seems a bit too dangerous now.

I wish I had visited some places I am interested in about 10 years ago, seems a bit too dangerous now.

It's holidays, you go there for enjoyment not to prove something.

I do however think that people over-worry about things, I walked back from central London twice a week all through the 90s, there was the odd incident of verbals but my lack of fear always made people back down so there was never anything serious.

It is the fear that terrorism is trying to spread: kill one frighten a thousand. I was all up for Tunisia last year post the massacre, hot and very cheap, but my ex-gf would not consider it.

Lack of fear is possibly stupidity, it's not the same as courage, but I will walk down that dodgy street at 2am or go to that place where people got blown up because I don't think that it will happen to me. And it never has.

Mr B and I had Aleppo on our list some years ago - never did get around to it. Too late now, alas.

We visited Damascus, Homs and Palmyra back in the early 70s. Heartbreaking to think of the likes of Palmyra being destroyed by Isis thugs.

I do however think that people over-worry about things, I walked back from central London twice a week all through the 90s, there was the odd incident of verbals but my lack of fear always made people back down so there was never anything serious.

It is the fear that terrorism is trying to spread: kill one frighten a thousand. I was all up for Tunisia last year post the massacre, hot and very cheap, but my ex-gf would not consider it.

Lack of fear is possibly stupidity, it's not the same as courage, but I will walk down that dodgy street at 2am or go to that place where people got blown up because I don't think that it will happen to me. And it never has.

I guess on the macro level even if there were a lot more terror attacks in Turkey it still won't be that dangerous. As an example, British soldiers fighting in Iraq, a war zone, had a 99% chance of being OK. (Or something like that)

However I can imagine the amount of stick I would get on HPC off topic if I got myself killed in Turkey. Probably loads of stick about 'he should have known the risks', and 'what's wrong with Portugal....the cheapskate only want a low price holiday'!!!!

Guest eight

Must be terrible for innocent Irish citizens, getting caught up in an indiscriminate terrorist bombing.

But it is not asymmetrical risk/opportunity here, Frank. Upside - you have a nice holiday and maybe save a few hundred quid as opposed to going to spain. downside - you lose a limb, or your life.

I know someone that was shot in a islamic terrorist attack in the ME as a tourist, and despite top notch medical care she's never been 100% again. If you ask her, she wishes she'd never gone to the area. She still travels widely, but is more aware now of where she chooses...

Apparently Jihadi hunting is like whack-a-mole. You drive them out of someplace, they re-appear elsewhere. Putins moved them away from Syria, supposedly theyve taken root in Camerons own disaster zone of Libya over the last few months. As they (attempt) to close off Greece, im guessing Libya will be in the news everyday as this years migrant invasion gets going in earnest. Probably lots of Jihadis among them...remember the gear intercepted in Spain a couple of weeks back?

Apparently Jihadi hunting is like whack-a-mole. You drive them out of someplace, they re-appear elsewhere. Putins moved them away from Syria, supposedly theyve taken root in Camerons own disaster zone of Libya over the last few months. As they (attempt) to close off Greece, im guessing Libya will be in the news everyday as this years migrant invasion gets going in earnest. Probably lots of Jihadis among them...remember the gear intercepted in Spain a couple of weeks back?

They're building up to some kind of military operation in Libya. Lots of training going on for it.

Odd really, can't see us going in without the Yanks as, bearing in mind Obama's reluctance to put boots on the ground/recent comments about Cameron over Libya and the fact that it is an election year in the US, I see no appetite in the US to sort out Libya.

What gear intercepted in Spain?

Close it up, go home, no one is going to come today, the owner of a seafood restaurant on Balik Passage, blocks from the bombing site, told fellow businesses owners.

Many shopkeepers and restaurants in the area did just that. At the few businesses that remained open, waiters sat at empty tables watching live news coverage about the bombing.

What can we do about this? asked Kemal, a waiter at a restaurant off Istiklal Street who didnt want his last name used. Anyone can just walk by and throw a bomb at you.

He speculated that the bombing was the work of the Islamic State group, which controls stretches of territory in neighboring Syria and Iraq.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-suicide-bomb-blast-istanbul-20160319-story.html

I got back from Turkey and Istanbul on Friday. Through work ofc.

My hosts were very conscious of avoiding any large people gatherings.

Erdogan is a complete dictator and acting like it. The People don't want turkey to become another "middle East country". Lovely friendly people. Terrible shame.