House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Diet Cola V Tea And Coffee

I know several people whose main drink through the day is diet cola. Either tanking through a two litre bottle a day or endless cans.

I have always looked down on this whilst I swill down my daily tea ration plus the odd coffee.

The question is: should I? Or are my drinks as bad or even worse.

I know that we should all just drink water.

Tea and coffee for me never with sugar in it, can't remember the last time I drunk or bought a bottle or tin of any kind of fizzy drink, have never liked the taste of them.

Edit to say, this also extends to other drinks such as sweet fizzy cider, now a small flat cloudy dry cider is a complety different kettle of fish......fizzy wines not that keen, would not be first choice however cheap or expensive it was.

I used to get bizzy with the fizzy,

but since I had a daughter

I make do with water.

Tea helps create kidney stones Im told.

I know several people whose main drink through the day is diet cola. Either tanking through a two litre bottle a day or endless cans.

I have always looked down on this whilst I swill down my daily tea ration plus the odd coffee.

The question is: should I? Or are my drinks as bad or even worse.

I'd say it's fairly obvious that diet cola is much worse, provided you take your coffee black and don't add sugar to your tea.

I'd say it's fairly obvious that diet cola is much worse, provided you take your coffee black and don't add sugar to your tea.

That's my question, I've always thought that it was "obvious" but is it? They're all a swirl of plant extracts in water.

Milk no sugar in both for me. What's the advantage of black coffee? It gives me stomach ache if I have a few of those which I take as a warning not to drink it black.

Aspartame has ruined fizzy drinks.

When I was at school in the 70s we used to bring in glass bottles of R Whites, Corona, Cresta etc. Lemonade, Cream soda, cherryade. All of these have now either disappeared or been reformulated as dubious chemical muck in plastic bottles.

The only hold-outs are the old brands like coke, Pepsi, Schweppes and 7 up and they will probably fold eventually.

It's already impossible to buy a canned shandy without sweeteners.

What's more, nobody gives a ******.

Mass produced cola full of chemicals - has existed for maybe 50-100 years?

Tea and Coffee - has been drunk for hundreds and hundreds of years. Maybe we should stick with something more tried and tested.

That's my question, I've always thought that it was "obvious" but is it? They're all a swirl of plant extracts in water.

Milk no sugar in both for me. What's the advantage of black coffee? It gives me stomach ache if I have a few of those which I take as a warning not to drink it black.

The best way would to drink black tea such as green tea and with coffee make it concentrated say espresso but like tea add hot water to dilute it down.....makes it more refreshing and go further.

Have found the opposite. Gave up the cow weaning fluid last year and feel much better for it. Only drawback is my teeth need whitened now!

You have to pass it first. -_-

Are you concentrating on just the sugar and ignoring other things like caffeine?

Coffee is like booze, and proper espresso is like a good whisky. A little is a Great Thing, but don't overdose.

I prefer the taste of black coffee to anything else, and it just happens to have very few calories. I know there's lots of fancy coffees that you can get that are calorific, with sugar and milk and whatnot so your adding fat and sugar to your diet. I don't actually know anything about the fancy coffee variations as I always just get an Americano or an expresso.

I'm a firm believer that humans shouldn't be drinking milk, but in the big scheme of things the odd splash in your tea probably isn't going to hurt you.

I believe there's some studies that show that green tea is good for you. And if you want to go all out, cold brew your greeen tea for a couple of hours before drinking it:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cold-steeping-green-tea/

Are you concentrating on just the sugar and ignoring other things like caffeine?

Coffee is like booze, and proper espresso is like a good whisky. A little is a Great Thing, but don't overdose.

Yeah I know there's differing opinions on caffeine; I only started drinking coffee about 5 years ago, and have stayed on a steady one-cup-a-day that I have around lunch time or early afternoon. An americano or a double expresso. I love my daily coffee, but in the same way that alcohol gives me terrible hangovers which don't do my depression any good (so I basically don't drink), coffee can ratchet up the anxiety if I overdo it. It also has me rushing for the toilet fairly quickly and ensures constipation is never a problem.

My one coffee a day is something I really enjoy, and as far as I know isn't doing me any damage. If the science ever says all of a sudden that it's terrible for you, I'd reconsider, but I don't think that's likely to happen; especially at the amounts that I enjoy coffee.

Isn't tea meant to be good for you? Lots of anti oxidants? I'm happy to believe that anyway as I love tea and for decades I've drunk about 8 mugs a day (brewed for about four minutes with a middling amount of milk).

As regards diet drinks, I believe sweeteners will turn out to be much worse for you than sugar. Not only are they artificial but some recent reports show they have just as much effect on insulin as sugar does.

Mass produced cola full of chemicals - has existed for maybe 50-100 years?

Tea and Coffee - has been drunk for hundreds and hundreds of years. Maybe we should stick with something more tried and tested.

Using that logic cigarettes are less bad for you than diet drinks and you should be throwing as much alcohol down your neck as possible, as that was invented thousands of years ago.

Using that logic cigarettes are less bad for you than diet drinks and you should be throwing as much alcohol down your neck as possible, as that was invented thousands of years ago.

You mean that you shouldn't?!

It does seem to be an assertion / assumption that tea and coffee are better for you than diet coke. That's also the view I hold but I thought that if challenged I would struggle to back it up as it may just be prejudice.

I prefer the taste of black coffee to anything else, and it just happens to have very few calories. I know there's lots of fancy coffees that you can get that are calorific, with sugar and milk and whatnot so your adding fat and sugar to your diet. I don't actually know anything about the fancy coffee variations as I always just get an Americano or an expresso.

I'm a firm believer that humans shouldn't be drinking milk, but in the big scheme of things the odd splash in your tea probably isn't going to hurt you.

I believe there's some studies that show that green tea is good for you. And if you want to go all out, cold brew your greeen tea for a couple of hours before drinking it:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cold-steeping-green-tea/

Yeah I know there's differing opinions on caffeine; I only started drinking coffee about 5 years ago, and have stayed on a steady one-cup-a-day that I have around lunch time or early afternoon. An americano or a double expresso. I love my daily coffee, but in the same way that alcohol gives me terrible hangovers which don't do my depression any good (so I basically don't drink), coffee can ratchet up the anxiety if I overdo it. It also has me rushing for the toilet fairly quickly and ensures constipation is never a problem.

My one coffee a day is something I really enjoy, and as far as I know isn't doing me any damage. If the science ever says all of a sudden that it's terrible for you, I'd reconsider, but I don't think that's likely to happen; especially at the amounts that I enjoy coffee.

The Caerphilly cohort study is the most thorough dietary study that I'm aware of, and that has shown that milk drinking has a positive health outcome.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2652996/#__ffn_sectitle

I've seen several studies out of China that suggest milk drinking is a bad idea, but I think the issue there is that the Chinese don't have the dietary history of dairy consumption in adulthood that we have in Europe, so haven't got the stomach for it.

So unless you're actually lactose intolerant, if you like milk then get stuck in.

When I will drink cola, it's for a hangover cure. Not the diet one though, as you need the sugar,

If its a hangover its the water you need.

The extra sugar and caffeine helps. Rarely drink the stuff in real life. I like green tea, and alway have one in the morning.

Loads or ordinary white tea for me. I've never bothered with diet fizzy drinks at all, just the proper versions but I don't drink very much of them (used to be one or two cans a day, sometimes more, but it's probably one a month now).

It does seem to be an assertion / assumption that tea and coffee are better for you than diet coke. That's also the view I hold but I thought that if challenged I would struggle to back it up as it may just be prejudice.

Coffee is probably good for you.

Here's an article from the New York times that sums the actual data up well.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/12/upshot/more-consensus-on-coffees-benefits-than-you-might-think.html?referer=

I quite like coffee too, and have one of those every morning as well. I don't use milk, and only have a tiny bit of sugar.

Drink green coke a-la stevia and get the best if both worlds.

Tried it. Didn't like it.

If I want coke I'll drink the real stuff, but these days it's once in a blue moon.

If you dilute the coke with vodka, it reduces the harmful effects.