House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lid

Wifi Question

can one prevent access to certain devices on a home network whilst allowing access to other devices once they are all set up/remembered

ideal world scenario i would like to be able to press a button somewhere to cuts kids devices off at will

Some wifi devices might be able to do that, but the easiest way of doing it is just to buy a 2nd cheap Wifi access point, and connect it to your router with a cable. Then just set a different Wifi name and password.

Give your kids only the password to the new access point. Turn it on and off as required.

Most routers allow authentication by MAC address which are an alpha numeric sequence of characters unique to the network interface of each machine. If you put in the MAC code of your own phone and/or laptop you can then disable access from other devices by turning MAC filtering on only allowing your devices access.

Easiest way would be to buy a second wifi router and connect it to your normal router - and get the children to connect to that one. Then you can just turn it on/off manually, connect a timer or if you want to get fancy get a remote controlled socket.

thanks guys i will look into it

i suppose i was thinking of some sort of phone app where i can just press a button, what with me not being too clued up on these things

not having any particular skills, much like peter griffin

If you can connect to your router's web interface from your phone and add that to your favourites then turning access on and off would be a matter of going to your saved favourite and toggling the "Enable MAC filtering" setting.

My Netgear router has 4 channels. A 2.4 Ghz and a 5 Ghz, and a guest version of each. You can switch them all on/off individually.

You can also reserve ip addresses for the devices you wish to exclude and block these by schedule eg after 9pm.

You can also use opendns for filtering adult/inappropriate content.

All that software is doing is basically creating a simple interface to do the tasks that everyone else has posted above. You can do it all yourself if you have time and knowledge to do it - but most people don't.

some routers (draytek Im thinking) allow you to block sites by type, and users by time. My BT HH3 allows some control too.

Yes, rather than paying yearly for software rental it is better to actually learn how to do this on the router. It probably would be cheaper longterm buying a new router that has an easier interface to the router software than perhaps your current one.

Don't forget you can do this for devices like xboxes as much as for iPads. For phones, to stop them using the internet on 3G, you can install apps for a few quid per phone which have a schedule and can even stop certain apps such as Facebook, twitter, etc, etc.

For phones, to stop them using the internet on 3G, you can install apps for a few quid per phone which have a schedule and can even stop certain apps such as Facebook, twitter, etc, etc.

And how long will it take any self-respecting kiddie to un-cripple a device?

And how long will it take any self-respecting kiddie to un-cripple a device?

Ah, the Spielberg film fantasy of every 10 and 15 year old being an IT guru.

The apps lock down the phone very well. Have a look into them.

Ah, the Spielberg film fantasy of every 10 and 15 year old being an IT guru.

The apps lock down the phone very well. Have a look into them.

All my nephews and nephettes are totally techno incompetents. (With anthing simple and logical, like finding the on/off switch. They do seem to be weirdly good at finding out how to work smart phones and other gadgets that require random secret cominations of clickery, though)

kids have 3G phone access these days.......

No, they don't. They have phones which adults buy/pay for and stupidly choose to let their children have.

Anyone who lets someone under 16 have a mobile these days needs their head examined. Absolutely no need for it anyway.

No, they don't. They have phones which adults buy/pay for and stupidly choose to let their children have.

Anyone who lets someone under 16 have a mobile these days needs their head examined. Absolutely no need for it anyway.

I was in PC World last year and overheard a chap buying an ipad for his 4 year old.