House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

F1 Car Vs Motorbike On C4 Now

Gonna watch this tomorrow. Is it a superbike or motogp? To save everyone watching the show I imagine it will be similar acceleration but F1 murders the bike in the corners and on the brakes.

The fastest lap of Donnington Park by a bike is 1.27.676 - Dani Pedrosa on a Honda RC211V in 2006. The one time F1 raced there (1993 European GP), Alain Prost managed 1.10.458 in a Williams.

Gonna watch this tomorrow. Is it a superbike or motogp? To save everyone watching the show I imagine it will be similar acceleration but F1 murders the bike in the corners and on the brakes.

Superbike I think.

The bike was good on short timescale acceleration (maybe 0-60) but lost in the test because the car came back later on. I think it was 1/4 mile, and the car won, but only by a fraction.

The only thing the bike won on was the slalom, which is not surprising really.

The car cost about 50x the bike I think, with a mob of men, computers and kit to make it run.

I would have liked to see the rb do the isle of man tt course, but my guess is that it would never be allowed on safety grounds.

I vaguely recall someone did a TT lap in a road car. Off to Google.

Edit: Lots have. Lap record for a car is 2 mins slower than a bike.

I think the F1 car will win for the same reasons but as regards initial acceleration I believe the bike will have a big advantage as I'm sure even production bikes can accelerate faster than an F1 car.

I think the F1 car will win for the same reasons but as regards initial acceleration I believe the bike will have a big advantage as I'm sure even production bikes can accelerate faster than an F1 car.

Even a normal car can beat an F1 car off the line. F1s are built to take corners at 200mph, not to go from light to light.

Even a normal car can beat an F1 car off the line. F1s are built to take corners at 200mph, not to go from light to light.

Hmmmm.

F1 cars top speed is about 200 mph. There are very few corners that they take at 200 mph, but of course that depends on your definition of corner.

The F1 car 0-60 is about 2 seconds, which although I guess is possible in a "normal" car (if you define normal as not being an F1 car) is not what the vast majority of people would consider to be normal. I used to own a car that would do 0-60 in under 7 seconds. That is not super fast, but my guess is that it would be faster than 80% of cars on the road, ie much faster than normal.

Edit : Just to add, F1 cars are obviously built to go around F1 tracks as quickly as possible. The off the line acceleration performance I guess isn't hugely important except for the pitstop and start. That said, the performance is so close making up a place or so on start due to superior acceleration is certainly something worth having. Finally a lot of F1 tracks do have some very slow corners, I think the slowest are around 30 mph or so, so fast acceleration out of these corners can give a significant performance advantage.

Single seat racing cars of any description- from Formula Ford upwards- have wings at both ends which generate downforce, and which hence allow them to brake and corner harder than a bike can ever manage. I love bikes and bike racing, it's far more exciting to watch than F1 will ever be, but the laws of physics prevent them getting round a dry circuit faster than a bewinged car.

A fair comparison would be bikes vs production based cars, like maybe the Porsche GT3 series. I'd be interested to see how their laptimes compare to, say, a GP 125 whose 50hp / 130kg total bike and rider weight must be roughly equivalent to the Porsche racer power to weight ratio.

Yes, I should have made that clearer about initial acceleration.

Enjoyed the show mainly because Guy Martin is hilarious, I hadn't realised he'd had such a serious accident at the TT recently. Balls of steel to get back on the bike. DC also made some slightly off colour jokes which were funny.

Guest eight

I vaguely recall someone did a TT lap in a road car. Off to Google.

Edit: Lots have. Lap record for a car is 2 mins slower than a bike.

**** me that was scary.