House Price Crash Forum

My Sugar Tax Conspiracy Theory

HOLA441

The sugar tax is purely there as a "good news story", not meaningful legislation to bring about a healthier nation. We've had high sugar drinks for over 100 years. Obesity is a problem in the last 20 or so years. People get fat / diabetes type 2 from a sedentary life. The sugar tax is misdirection. Instead of talking about a dodgy economy, now we're talking about the sugar tax. Funny that the Jamie Oliver was just outside Westminster at the time of the budget - he puts it down to a coincidence. But anyway, the press got him to do his A-level jump for them. There's no way Osborne wouldn't have informed the big fizzy drinks companies well in advance that he would implement this tax in the March 2016 budget. He would have had to get the green light from them. Even though the new tax won't be introduced for 2 years, it needs approval from his business partners, and Osborne would have had to clear the way with the companies in the first place.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I have to say I grinned when popular public figure Jamie Oliver was there to give it the lovely jubbly treatment.

Standard sheep pleasing nonsense to inflate the least important of our collective worries.

But then, modern budgets require a great depth of understanding to be able to see backstage whilst the magician is sawing the lady in half. I have many to thank on this forum for removing the wool from my eyes.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

It's a very clever tax in more ways than one.

Diversion from problems with the economy, and nobody talking about a truly historical change in education. This will be a difficult tax for many to oppose, the healthistas will see to that.

The expansion from 'sugary drinks' to sugar, and then fat, and then salt is a major money maker for the treasury..._

HOLA448

They should introduce exercise bikes in every house - the more miles you do, the lower your national insurance contributions are.

Or just leave people to learn the hard way rather than giving everybody get-out clauses regardless of their own behaviour.

The death of responsibility happened a long time ago in this country.

Establish cause. If it's your fault, tough. If it isn't, help is at hand.

Old school toughness needs bringing back. We're a nation of dumbed down pussies.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Or just leave people to learn the hard way rather than giving everybody get-out clauses regardless of their own behaviour.

Old school toughness needs bringing back. We're a nation of dumbed down pussies.

Ive just been out with the dog on a bright sunny morning here in Dorset. 3 mothers, all with massive wide pushchairs, all sporting luminous high viz vests.

We were in an open parkland environment. The houses they doubtless live in, are adjoining the park. The baby farm, as i call it.

I scoffed in their general direction. What on earth were they worried about?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I have to say I grinned when popular public figure Jamie Oliver was there to give it the lovely jubbly treatment.

Standard sheep pleasing nonsense to inflate the least important of our collective worries.

But then, modern budgets require a great depth of understanding to be able to see backstage whilst the magician is sawing the lady in half. I have many to thank on this forum for removing the wool from my eyes.

Oliver referred to The Chancellor as "George" on BBC News yesterday, sounded like he's a friend.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

When I was a kid in the 80s we had these fizzy drinks a few times a year, birthdays, Christmas and the like, not on a daily basis. Things have changed since then as I see co workers of the younger generation having them much more regularly. I'm no fan of any tax but it seems like one of the least worst. However I fully expect in a year or so there will be sob stories in the news of people on benefits who can't afford their weekly shop.

HOLA4420

Easier said than done. For e.g what about people born into poverty?

They should scrap the NHS and let us take responsibility for our own lives.

Sounds like you dont need it, or care about the people who do. Your comment makes you appear both ignorant and selfish.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

The sugar tax is purely there as a "good news story", not meaningful legislation to bring about a healthier nation. We've had high sugar drinks for over 100 years. Obesity is a problem in the last 20 or so years. People get fat / diabetes type 2 from a sedentary life. The sugar tax is misdirection. Instead of talking about a dodgy economy, now we're talking about the sugar tax. Funny that the Jamie Oliver was just outside Westminster at the time of the budget - he puts it down to a coincidence. But anyway, the press got him to do his A-level jump for them. There's no way Osborne wouldn't have informed the big fizzy drinks companies well in advance that he would implement this tax in the March 2016 budget. He would have had to get the green light from them. Even though the new tax won't be introduced for 2 years, it needs approval from his business partners, and Osborne would have had to clear the way with the companies in the first place.

Some studies suggest we eat as much as 600 kilocalories a day less than 30 years ago

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/diet/10126042/Britons-getting-fatter-despite-consuming-fewer-calories.html

http://www.cityam.com/224147/calorie-consumption-has-been-falling-for-decades

In addition sugar consumption has been falling over the same period

That suggests the situation is a bit more complex than the Chancellor and some health experts claim.

HOLA4424

In addition sugar consumption has been falling over the same period

Have you any evidence on this? I thought it was the other way round, sugar is added to everything these days. (even the salad I bought from Tesco the other day had sugar added to the chicken, the sauce and the peppers)

HOLA4425