House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RDW

Exploitation

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2016/mar/14/exploitation-exploitation-exploitation-a-property-show-for-millennials-video

Are you a hard-working young professional thinking you can’t afford to rent in London? Well, you’re right. In this special edition of Exploitation, Exploitation, Exploitation, presenters Christie and Will get their hands dirty as they take would-be tenants Gilly and Steve on a search for their dream home – or at least, an apartment where they don’t suspect a murder has taken place

Did they all think doing a hairdressing degree from no-name university would all work out well for them? I think kid-ults have a huge amount of growing up to do...

:rolleyes: - Yeah we be all like selfie selfie OMG let's buy gadgets and get pissed! DUuuuuuuh... -_-

-

There's enough of my peers from doctors to teachers to those with Firsts in Classics and the STEMS from leading Unis who can't afford rent or purchasing a property because of sky-high rents and terrible prices relative to earnings as wages haven't risen much and jobs are very insecure.

Their parents in middle-senior management on the other hand, that studied the Humanities for free back in the day of free tuition are doing quite alright with huge HPI and a few BTL's on the side and job security with fat pensions.

Maybe my gen should get on our knees or bend over a bit further...

Edited by Tapori

Their parents in middle-senior management on the other hand, that studied the Humanities for free back in the day of free tuition are doing quite alright with huge HPI and a few BTL's on the side and job security with fat pensions...

I wonder if that generation realise just how disliked they are by the generations that work for them?

in the budget there was a lot of talk of 'the next generation' which seems to be the new theme moving forward.

the boomers will be asset stripped and taxed out of existence soon enough. I just worry that there isn't enough time to punish them before they pop their clogs.

maybe not the next election but the following election there will be a lot of anti-boomer policies. Everything will be fair game.

I'm a boomer and I ain't rich. There were no university tuition fees back then but doesn't mean myself nor anyone I knew could afford actually to go. Tired of being told that I was born between dates x and y and therefore deserve to be in someone's cross hairs.

I'm a boomer and I ain't rich. There were no university tuition fees back then but doesn't mean myself nor anyone I knew could afford actually to go. Tired of being told that I was born between dates x and y and therefore deserve to be in someone's cross hairs.

Same here,its bad management to blame, half house prices and rents and everyone's happy. (Apart from a few bankrupt landlords)

I think the issue is that people are tired of being told that it's just a case of scrimping and tightening your belt to get somewhere to live. It's divisive. The reality is that prices are accelerating faster than wages and people need to come up with huge deposits and accept massive salary multiples to even buy a crappy 1-bed in many areas. My parents bought a 3-bed semi on one working class wage. They didn't have a lot of cash, but we had a TV, hi-fi and a beat up but serviceable car, we even went out for meals from time to time. You couldn't dream of owning that house on one working class wage now, it's 10 times salary.

This is the reality - it was easier to buy property back then. It was more difficult to go to university, but if you were clever enough it didn't cost you anything - you'd even get a grant to cover your living expenses.

The government is now offering unprecedented cash payments and loans to help people buy homes. When they're having to do that do you think it's easier or harder to buy somewhere than in the past?

I think the issue is that people are tired of being told that it's just a case of scrimping and tightening your belt to get somewhere to live. It's divisive. The reality is that prices are accelerating faster than wages and people need to come up with huge deposits and accept massive salary multiples to even buy a crappy 1-bed in many areas. My parents bought a 3-bed semi on one working class wage. They didn't have a lot of cash, but we had a TV, hi-fi and a beat up but serviceable car, we even went out for meals from time to time. You couldn't dream of owning that house on one working class wage now, it's 10 times salary.

This is the reality - it was easier to buy property back then. It was more difficult to go to university, but if you were clever enough it didn't cost you anything - you'd even get a grant to cover your living expenses.

The government is now offering unprecedented cash payments and loans to help people buy homes. When they're having to do that do you think it's easier or harder to buy somewhere than in the past?

You'd also get a grant to do up your house somehwat if it wasn't nice, or insulated or had a whole host of issues.

A lot of this gets forgotten.

the thing is the anger is spreading, and the nature of crushing peoples hopes and dreams and milking them for every penny in rent is that they get angry.

Whoever is to blame will get absolutely destroyed by 'the next generation' guilty or not. If i were a boomer i'm not sure how i would protect my wealth, certainly not in houses. Maybe gold.

just as 'the ladder' has been pulled up behind the boomers, the next generation will be placing mine-fields in front of the boomers going forward. Can start to see it with the 'under 40's only' saving scheme. Its a one small step on a long road of increasing and deserved punishment.

the generational contract has been well and truly broken by the boomers, thus the next generation will repay the favour.

Of course things can change, people could start to call for boomer wealth redistribution before the point its forced. It may seem a bleak future, but nothing compared to growing up young in the modern world (and very high suicide rates)

could claim its just a function of how humans are, a sad mechanical nature of self interest. If the whole thing was run again the young would act the same as boomers. Which is true. But it is what it is, and human nature will seek revenge and change.

Edited by jiltedjen

:rolleyes: - Yeah we be all like selfie selfie OMG let's buy gadgets and get pissed! DUuuuuuuh... -_-

-

There's enough of my peers from doctors to teachers to those with Firsts in Classics and the STEMS from leading Unis who can't afford rent or purchasing a property because of sky-high rents and terrible prices relative to earnings as wages haven't risen much and jobs are very insecure.

Their parents in middle-senior management on the other hand, that studied the Humanities for free back in the day of free tuition are doing quite alright with huge HPI and a few BTL's on the side and job security with fat pensions.

Maybe my gen should get on our knees or bend over a bit further...

Good post.

Ridiculous rents and house prices are the problem, no matter what type of education and/or job you have. And the positive correlation with younger couples owing decent (read, family) houses and BOMAD gifts is striking based on my experience.

the thing is the anger is spreading, and the nature of crushing peoples hopes and dreams and milking them for every penny in rent is that they get angry.

Whoever is to blame will get absolutely destroyed by 'the next generation' guilty or not. If i were a boomer i'm not sure how i would protect my wealth, certainly not in houses. Maybe gold.

just as 'the ladder' has been pulled up behind the boomers, the next generation will be placing mine-fields in front of the boomers going forward. Can start to see it with the 'under 40's only' saving scheme. Its a one small step on a long road of increasing and deserved punishment.

the generational contract has been well and truly broken by the boomers, thus the next generation will repay the favour.

Of course things can change, people could start to call for boomer wealth redistribution before the point its forced. It may seem a bleak future, but nothing compared to growing up young in the modern world (and very high suicide rates)

could claim its just a function of how humans are, a sad mechanical nature of self interest. If the whole thing was run again the young would act the same as boomers. Which is true. But it is what it is, and human nature will seek revenge and change.

Your anger will not get you anywhere particularly as it is misdirected. You need to start looking at the causes of your situation not the symptoms. Many of your generation are being coerced and will be coerced into the system that ensures they become slaves to the 1% unless enough of you wake up to what is happening at try and do something about it. Stop being a rebel without a clue and try and become a rebel with a cause, that way you might find that in 20 years you will not still be blaming the wrong people and nothing has changed for you.

The thing is it is now a multi-generational thing now. Millenials don't realise this I don't think. People who've posted on here 10+ years were the first generation & now this new lot have come along thinking they are the first. All I can say is, welcome to the club and you read it here first (like 10 odd years ago!).

The thing is it is now a multi-generational thing now. Millenials don't realise this I don't think. People who've posted on here 10+ years were the first generation & now this new lot have come along thinking they are the first. All I can say is, welcome to the club and you read it here first (like 10 odd years ago!).

It pains me to say it but without a mass movement of working people, we literally have to rely on hard-pressed middle-classes to kick up a fuss because Oscar and Henrietta can't buy a 1 bed flat with their barista salary.

Only then do the press that still wield power, ever seem to notice.

No-one in mass media seems to show to help those that are not even acknowledged as struggling by the Fleet Steet crew. Namely those unemployed or living literally on the breadline.

seems to be some talk filtering through of actually cutting pensions. it's the obvious unfair use of welfare to the forever lucky generation.

maybe not until 2020 but could easily be in the cross-hairs.

seems to be some talk filtering through of actually cutting pensions. it's the obvious unfair use of welfare to the forever lucky generation.

maybe not until 2020 but could easily be in the cross-hairs.

No. Doing so throws away the chance of re-election. No party is going to do that.