House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

Joan Bakewell Anorexia Gaffe

Apparently anorexics are mainly mental burds (90% of cases female) as there are none to be found in countries where food is actually in short supply.

seems fairly obvious. She's had to apologize anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35799546

Despite garnering some support:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3492574/Joan-Bakewell-wins-backing-former-anorexia-sufferers-doctors-say-comments-condition-right.html

Apparently anorexics are mainly mental burds (90% of cases female) as there are none to be found in countries where food is actually in short supply.

seems fairly obvious. She's had to apologize anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35799546

Despite garnering some support:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3492574/Joan-Bakewell-wins-backing-former-anorexia-sufferers-doctors-say-comments-condition-right.html

Why is she apologising, if that is the medical view anyway? Sounds fundamentally similar to the throwaway at the end of the article:

"The Royal College of Psychiatrists has previously said that increases in hospital admissions could be down to social pressure made worse by online images."

Anorexia is one of the many negative results from living within a complex and unnatural society; I don't see it as being the anorexics' fault any more than depression is the fault of the depressive but I don't think Joan was saying that anyway.

In simpler societies such pressures don't exist as you are fully engaged upon obtaining the basic requirements for living.

Give everybody a complex and unnatural existence, like say a massive student debt followed by a massive mortgage for a tiny home and a lifetime of work stretching out ahead of you to pay off those debts, and their mental health will suffer.

Anorexia is one of the many negative results from living within a complex and unnatural society; I don't see it as being the anorexics' fault any more than depression is the fault of the depressive but I don't think Joan was saying that anyway.

In simpler societies such pressures don't exist as you are fully engaged upon obtaining the basic requirements for living.

Give everybody a complex and unnatural existence, like say a massive student debt followed by a massive mortgage for a tiny home and a lifetime of work stretching out ahead of you to pay off those debts, and their mental health will suffer.

--------------------""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""--------------------------""""""""""""""""""""""""-----------------------------""""""""""""""""""""

Has our Joan - the supposed thinking man's crumpet and prominent feminist - said anything against islamic treatment of women and girls?

Any thoughts from her on genital mutilation? How about acid being thrown in women's face? Or any of the other things in a long, long list of barbarics acts against females because of islam?

Has our Joan - the supposed thinking man's crumpet and prominent feminist - said anything against islamic treatment of women and girls?

Any thoughts from her on genital mutilation? How about acid being thrown in women's face? Or any of the other things in a long, long list of barbarics acts against females because of islam?

Yes.

http://www.newstatesman.com/node/193546

Edit: and http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/joan-bakewell/joan-bakewell-we-cannot-stay-silent-in-the-face-of-this-outrage-5337334.html

No, I just meant that it was so long ago. She appears to have been strangely silent since on the subject?

Probably a good idea. I imagine she'll be keeping quiet about anorexia from now on as well...

Perhaps, after she wrote it, the Beeb didn't ask her to make many more programmes?

Perhaps; but it turns out that she's 82 (born in 1933!), so in 2000 she was already 66 or 67. Maybe she just retired?

It's worth having a look at her when she was in her youth ...

Another mental health problem.........

skeleton7.jpg.jpeg

Mental she may be winkie - but she's raking it in as a Karen Carpenter tribute act...!

XYY

There's a woman who I see all the time who must live near me, who is quite obviously anorexic. I've spotted her since I moved in to my place years ago, and she's never gained weight since then. Quite sad to see. Despite it she's an attractive woman and always dresses well ect, she's just rather ill looking. If she put on just a little bit, she'd be very attractive.

There's a woman who I see all the time who must live near me, who is quite obviously anorexic. I've spotted her since I moved in to my place years ago, and she's never gained weight since then. Quite sad to see. Despite it she's an attractive woman and always dresses well ect, she's just rather ill looking. If she put on just a little bit, she'd be very attractive.

What are you waiting for take her out for a slap up meal.

What are you waiting for take her out for a slap up meal.

Wonderful idea; approach an obviously troubled woman and try to fix her. That always ends well.

tumblr_static_white_knight.jpg