House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happy_renting

Sugar Tax

I hope that, now sugary drinks are to be heavily taxed, you will all start drinking sugary drinks.

Not drinking them is now tax avoidance, and as we all know, in the current zeitgeist, tax avoiders are scum on a par with tax evaders.

Influencing behaviour through taxation is nearly always a bad idea (or rather, what usually happens is that the behaviour keeps on unabated, but the tax take increases).

I wish government (any really, not just the UK) would introduce a test-and-reassess methodology for any of these grandstanding ideas.

So for this, it should be:

Problem with (diabetes, obestity, tooth-decay, whatever), so introduce a temporary tax.

Before introduction, undertake an analysis of the disease/affliction/whatever rates and attitudes, etc

at T0+5 years undertake another analysis.

If the tax hasn't changed anything, then remove the tax.

If the tax has had the intended effect, then make the tax permanent.

I suppose it might work. Probably won't. The trouble is childhood obesity probably isn't that related to sugary drinks - at least, not in a way which can be solved by making them slightly more expensive. There is a vast amount of research indicating that sugar-free drinks merely result in increased food consumption...

Influencing behaviour through taxation is nearly always a bad idea (or rather, what usually happens is that the behaviour keeps on unabated, but the tax take increases).

I wish government (any really, not just the UK) would introduce a test-and-reassess methodology for any of these grandstanding ideas.

So for this, it should be:

Problem with (diabetes, obestity, tooth-decay, whatever), so introduce a temporary tax.

Before introduction, undertake an analysis of the disease/affliction/whatever rates and attitudes, etc

at T0+5 years undertake another analysis.

If the tax hasn't changed anything, then remove the tax.

If the tax has had the intended effect, then make the tax permanent.

I suppose it might work. Probably won't. The trouble is childhood obesity probably isn't that related to sugary drinks - at least, not in a way which can be solved by making them slightly more expensive. There is a vast amount of research indicating that sugar-free drinks merely result in increased food consumption...

Is tea a sugary drink?

What is sugar?...honey contained sugars. all natural, but fructose based I gather.

Won't stop those who eat loads of sugar from doing so. Education and installing a mindset where people give a sh*t about their own health, might.

Just an easy way to collect more money from the masses I guess.

i was just thinking about this.

I suppose one unforeseen consequence will be a boost for aspartame and other sweeteners, which are already almost impossible to dodge in anything sweet-tasting.

Are they exempt?

I got the impression this was more of a "fizzy drinks" tax than a sugar tax.. especially given fruit juice and milkshakes are exempt (must have more sugar in than anything else?!)

Is tea a sugary drink?

Yes, if you put sugar in it.

Maybe you will need to sign a declaration when buying your tea bags that you don't have sugar in your tea, and the only person you know who does is your aunt and she rarely visits.

I read recently some of the soft drink firms stating about lowering the sugar content in their drinks in 4 or 5 years time. Probably fearing that people will go cold turkey. Perhaps this is George's way of getting them to reduce the sugar content sooner.

What have the sugar ETFs done today?

Pointless. Firstly, it wont stop people drinking the drinks. Secondly, the government will just waste the money.

Instead of doing this they might as well borrow a gazillion pounds and go out and burn it.

Don't worry, they're doing that too.

Is tea a sugary drink?

It is an interesting point - will we see the soft-beverages equivalent of salt-n-shake crisps - buy the drink with a sachet of (normal tax) icing sugar to dissolve in it post-purchase...

What is sugar?...honey contained sugars. all natural, but fructose based I gather.

And quite a bit of everything you eat will end up as sugar once digested - and pretty quickly as well for the simple carbohydrates.

The current focus on sugar as the problem is as simplified as the 'fat causes obesity' argument from 30 years ago. In fact, you can see the direct link between discouraging fats in the diet and increasing diabetes/obesity. Eg:

low-fat-guidelines.jpg

(not the best graph and not sure I believe it entirely - but it is (modified) from USA National Institute for Health)

Pointless. Firstly, it wont stop people drinking the drinks. Secondly, the government will just waste the money.

Instead of doing this they might as well borrow a gazillion pounds and go out and burn it.

Who's to say they're not doing that as well, in any case?

Yep, but all the fat kids will get new swings to play on and Mum and Dad will go thank George with their votes.

Guest eight

When did Jamie Oliver get taken away and rebuilt? I swear to god that's a whole different bloke.

What really grinds my gears with Saint Jamie's ethical whining is the extent to which he mugs off punters with his DKB housewares Jamie Oliver kitchen stuff. A lot of it is just products, in their portfolio, under other brands, rebranded 'Jamie Oliver'. Fair enough if it's a bit of a premium for something branded but a lot of it is quadruple, or more, the price which does seem like a total p1sstake.

Actually, it's probably the mugs who buy it that are more to blame.

When did Jamie Oliver get taken away and rebuilt? I swear to god that's a whole different bloke.

It's probably so he can now pass through school railings, like the T1000, to get to the chip shop.

Edit to add: Just looked at a recent picture and TBH he looks kinda weirdly sleazy these days.

I agree with it mainly for the tooth decay problems it causes.

As for obesity well if you drank 2 litres of coca cola and ate a sandwich everyday day you would either lose weight or stay the same weight, you wouldn't gain weight, that would only happen if your caloric intake rises above maintanence level.

Will I pay tax on a bag of sugar? I'd imagine (hope) the sugar % is quite high.

Not too bothered on a practical level. We tax tobacco and booze, I guess it helps pay for the costs it creates on the NHS. Id rather we got rid of NHS and the sin taxes that may or may not go some way to payinf for it, but as thats not on the cards...

On the other side, it will likely galvanize mouthy unelected twats like Jamie Oliver to demand an ever greater say on how we live our lives.

I would have said pass the tax, but tie it to a 'Jamie Oliver' tax on shit-stirrers with mockney accents.