House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Orange

Is Passive Smoking Dangerous?

Or is a health scare fad spread around by the nanny state? Some health gurus even state that second or even third hand is even more dangerous than first hand smoking! And with smoking parents, I began realise many people who complain about smoke sticking on my clothing at high school were f'ing dim witted whiney hypocrites who'd taken up tabacco smoking or e-cig smoking themselves!

I would suppose it depends on the extent of it.

For instance, being in a pub once a week where people are (were) smoking is probably not going to be any worse for you than eating the crap that many people eat. Although admittedly it's your choice to eat said crap.

On the other hand, being an airline stewardess on a plane that allows (allowed) smoking, or working as bar-staff, probably carries a quantifiable risk.

Or is a health scare fad spread around by the nanny state? Some health gurus even state that second or even third hand is even more dangerous than first hand smoking!

What's controversial about that? The smoke that comes off the end of a cigarette unfiltered is obviously more harmful to inhale than the smoke that goes through a filter. Spending an evening in the smoky pub was equivalent to smoking many cigarettes first hand.

Everything is bad for you if you do enough of it.. What has changed is our tolerance of risk.

Like the slightly well worn conkers at school example.. kids will play conkers / British bulldog quite happily for years without an injury but eventually some kid will manage to get a conker in the eye or a broken arm. A few years ago this was shrugged off as bad luck, but since then our tolerance of children injuring themselves has dropped so many fun childhood games are now banned.

Passive smoking, you are inhaling the same smoke as the smoker, just in greatly diluted doses. There are carcinogens so technically your risk of cancer goes up (albeit probably only very marginally). I think the health side is probably a scapegoat to a degree. If smoke was clear and odourless I expect you would probably still be able to smoke in pubs to this day.

My sister never smoked. She nursed in an NHS mental health ward for years back in the day when patients were allowed to smoke. Many of the patients chain-smoked.

My sister developed lung cancer and had two major operations. She almost died.

What's controversial about that? The smoke that comes off the end of a cigarette unfiltered is obviously more harmful to inhale than the smoke that goes through a filter. Spending an evening in the smoky pub was equivalent to smoking many cigarettes first hand.

Research has shown that filtering does almost nothing with regards to reducing the risks of smoking. All it really does is reduce the tar and so possibly cleans up the lungs a bit, all be it cleaning up lungs that get tons of smoke pumped in to them.

As for the original point, yes of course it's dangerous, but of course all depends on circumstances and depending on the environment you will be inhaling significantly less "smoke" than an actual smoker.

You need to consider the risk in relation to other risk sources as well - in the case of clean air, the classic is exhaust pollution. Seeing the appalling air quality data near urban roads, I suspect that a bit of passive smoking is the least of your worries.

I remember getting berated by a colleague for polluting the air by a having a fag before I cycled home once. I suggested that he suck on his exhaust pipe while I finished my fag and then we could discuss pollution.

I worked for a short period in the tobacco industry in the 1990s. The company made available to its employees all research both in favour and against smoking. What struck me at the time was the huge effort being made by governments/WHO/charities to prove that second hand smoke was harmful, and how little evidence they were able to provide.

Personally I feel it unwise to smoke around babies, but generally there is no harm from second hand smoke.

On a separate issue, when I had children, I read that you should always get a new mattress for their cot. I had access at the time to published journals, so went away and got the original work on this. The need for a new mattress existed only in specific circumstances which could be easily mitigate, but this isn't what the mattress companies wanted you to hear, so it wasn't broadcast, unlike the need for a new mattress for each baby.

I get the feeling a lot of medical advice is just good spin!

Or is a health scare fad spread around by the nanny state? Some health gurus even state that second or even third hand is even more dangerous than first hand smoking! And with smoking parents, I began realise many people who complain about smoke sticking on my clothing at high school were f'ing dim witted whiney hypocrites who'd taken up tabacco smoking or e-cig smoking themselves!

Babies born to smoking mums 'have smaller brains and are more anxious and moody than other children'

Passive smoke doubles the chance that a baby will die of SIDS.

I worked for a short period in the tobacco industry in the 1990s. The company made available to its employees all research both in favour and against smoking. What struck me at the time was the huge effort being made by governments/WHO/charities to prove that second hand smoke was harmful, and how little evidence they were able to provide.

Personally I feel it unwise to smoke around babies, but generally there is no harm from second hand smoke.

On a separate issue, when I had children, I read that you should always get a new mattress for their cot. I had access at the time to published journals, so went away and got the original work on this. The need for a new mattress existed only in specific circumstances which could be easily mitigate, but this isn't what the mattress companies wanted you to hear, so it wasn't broadcast, unlike the need for a new mattress for each baby.

I get the feeling a lot of medical advice is just good spin!

New mattress for a cot relate to a study which found that urea and the some mattress padding could result in a mattress giving off a potentially harmful gas.

For most people passive smoking wasn't really a big issue (or even a problem at all).

For occupational exposures it is/was a more real problem. This was a massive influence in the introduction of the law.

There's also lots of evidence that it is a problem for babies and small children, but this is a more complicated story (eg, you are free to fill your own home with smoke for your children to breathe)

My grandad smoked a pipe. I liked the smell of it, but never took it up. Anyway his house was very windy, so the smoke didn't stay. Probably pipe smoke is not as bad as fag smoke. Less chemicals. Not sure any doctor would recommend smoking to "calm your nerves" today.

The main problem with all of this is the feature creep.

No smoking on the bus is fine, but the latest stuff from Wales is mental.

No vaping indoors or even on the beach.