House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

Should I Buy A Honda Vfr800?

I test road one earlier today and have been approved on their 0% finance. £2k down and £72 a month. Heated grips really helped with my Raynaud's condition (not particular warm today). It feels a little heavy in town and lightens up somewhat on the roads, in spite of there being no steering dampers there was no noticeable vibrations.

Or do I wait a few months and buy a Suzuki GSXR1000 outright with part of my divorce settlement.

Thanks.

I have no idea about bikes - but can you keep us up to date when the inevitable 18 year old secretary comes along please.

Cheers

I have no idea about bikes - but can you keep us up to date when the inevitable 18 year old secretary comes along please.

Cheers

Oh yes please!!! Is this what a mid - life crisis feels like :D

I don't know anything about bikes either but having cycled on the roads quite a bit on my road bike i'd say give it wide berth,

the current overcrowding on the roads and idiotic driving make it a risky proposition.

Go for the latest hot engined car like a Focus RS or the new Civic Type R i saw one the other day and it was a real head turner.

The new vfr is supposed to be excellent. I'd much rather own one rather than one of the litre supersports machines. They're great for a blast but just too uncompromising for a regular bike. The vfr is still fast but so much more accessible and rewarding for most riders.

Oh yes please!!! Is this what a mid - life crisis feels like :D

Best time of my (sex) life was at 34 after a long relationship ended ,yes it is like that especially if you get yourself into shape ,i just wish there was a male contraceptive pill

On the bike front forget it buy a surfboard and a campervan learn to surf then the west coast of France from spring through to winter ...the time of your life is guaranteed

I have always wanted a VFR since the 1st VFR750 came out. I have a fireblade at present, an old early one. i am seriously thinking of selling it and getting a VFR - sports bikes are no good for anything really other than really rapid acceleration and fast corners. Too much weight on the wrists. You really want something with a decent fairing which you can ride for more than 50 miles without getting backache and sore wrists. I wouldnt be able to afford a new one, it would be an old one, but then I wouldn't buy any new vehicle really.

Go for it - forget the GSXR. Honda's are generally easier to work on as well for maintenance.

I don't know anything about bikes either but having cycled on the roads quite a bit on my road bike i'd say give it wide berth,

the current overcrowding on the roads and idiotic driving make it a risky proposition.

Go for the latest hot engined car like a Focus RS or the new Civic Type R i saw one the other day and it was a real head turner.

On the outward journey for the school run I've just had a car pull out of a side road which I had to swerve to avoid at 60mph and on the return journey a car towing a trailer was on the wrong side of a bend heading straight at me, I couldn't do anything he had to avoid me. Roads are busier and crowded just have to anticipate the road and what people are doing ahead.

The new vfr is supposed to be excellent. I'd much rather own one rather than one of the litre supersports machines. They're great for a blast but just too uncompromising for a regular bike. The vfr is still fast but so much more accessible and rewarding for most riders.

I must say those are the reasons I'm swayed towards the VFR800. There's no place to go really fast any more and I like fast touring.

I have always wanted a VFR since the 1st VFR750 came out. I have a fireblade at present, an old early one. i am seriously thinking of selling it and getting a VFR - sports bikes are no good for anything really other than really rapid acceleration and fast corners. Too much weight on the wrists. You really want something with a decent fairing which you can ride for more than 50 miles without getting backache and sore wrists. I wouldnt be able to afford a new one, it would be an old one, but then I wouldn't buy any new vehicle really.

Go for it - forget the GSXR. Honda's are generally easier to work on as well for maintenance.

This is making my decision much easier thanks. Last year I asked the dealer to tell me when the blade came on to 0% finance and it hasn't. VFR800 has a low seating position, an old blade I rode was quite high up which meant I was hunched over the bars.

Edit: I can't really afford one either. I have a lease car to run for another 20 months which I already have money set aside for then I'll go down the bangernomics route.

I`d wait for your divorce settlement to come through. There`s many a slip between cup and lip and there`s no need to rush into finance. Sounds like you`ve had a bit of a `shock` and you want the recover as soon as possible....take your time !

I`m also going to buy myself a much cheaper motorcycle (sv650) but even though I have the money I have to wait until the wife actually puts the money into my account before I can go ahead.

So.. buy a vfr with cash..it will turn out to be a good friend.

Best time of my (sex) life was at 34 after a long relationship ended ,yes it is like that especially if you get yourself into shape ,i just wish there was a male contraceptive pill

On the bike front forget it buy a surfboard and a campervan learn to surf then the west coast of France from spring through to winter ...the time of your life is guaranteed

I love the sentiment of your last paragraph however I'm still main carer for my children and next week they are off for three weeks. I've thought about doing just that... For now in my dreams.

The writing re. my relationship was on the wall and plastered all over this forum for some years (thanks fellow HPCers for listening) so I've had two years to get myself into shape. I get a fair amount of attention from the opposite sex in the bar I work, especially from 25-30 year olds (i'm 39 this year) but I find them a bit plastic as they are mostly keen to find out how I would impress them, their friends doing mock interviews. They don't do it for me any more they get needy and want babies. I've been seeing someone a few years older than me for the past 3 months and she is beautiful inside/out - we could be soulmates if she wanted it to happen... If she doesn't then I'll wait for the right girl.

I`d wait for your divorce settlement to come through. There`s many a slip between cup and lip and there`s no need to rush into finance. Sounds like you`ve had a bit of a `shock` and you want the recover as soon as possible....take your time !I`m also going to buy myself a much cheaper motorcycle (sv650) but even though I have the money I have to wait until the wife actually puts the money into my account before I can go ahead.So.. buy a vfr with cash..it will turn out to be a good friend.

Thanks council dweller... with or without the cash I can budget £70 a month. This split was always coming so not really a shock. I am more relieved than anything else.

We are doing a financial separation agreement and divorcing via the two year separation rule. I've told her I will buy out her accruing pension when my inheritance comes as she still wants the ? Big house. I'm happy to rent a room for £85-£100 a week bills inclusive.

Guest eight

Heated grips really helped with my Raynaud's condition (not particular warm today).

Should have gone in February. It was, like, really warm then.

I've just test-ridden a CBF1000. The new Honda dealer in Dundee insisted :D

It had full luggage fitted, all the toys, and was really nice.... but I won't be buying one. It just didn't have the buzz that the Blackbird has (and I don't mean the bad for your Reynaud's type buzz!).... bland is the word.

If you want to do some gentle touring, look at what they are calling 'adventure' bikes, or what we used to call big traillies!

Better visibility to spot the idiots and potholes, and easier on the back and wrists.

I'm giving serious consideration to an 1150, or 1200 GS.

Just to throw in a contrary view - isn't the VFR the equivalent of Porsche 911 or BMW M5 in the bike world?....people buy them because they are the 'best', so they don't need to actually have any capability of forming an opinion - so you end up actually with the boring choice of boring people (even if it is very capable).

Not sure what the answer to this is - suppose you hold your head up high and get the VFR anyway (happy in the knowledge that at least you have made an informed choice)...

I bought a VFR750FJ in 1998, still own it today. I've had other bikes but nothing quite hits the mark. The only one that came close was the smaller NC30 (bit silly for anyone over 19 years old, I think!).

I once did South of France back to Hampshire in one day, there aren't many bikes you could do that on.

I threw mine down the road last summer, lots of broken plastics but otherwise fine.

JUST DO IT !

Got to agree. If I was buying a VFR though, I'd buy the 750 or the late nineties early 2k 800i - they're still today almost universally hailed as the best all rounders ever.

Or maybe get a carbed blackbird before they end up silly money. If only I had a large enough garage....

And I own an NC30 - I'll never sell it! Completely different type of bike though - a mini RC30 ( the VFR750R), rather than a sports tourer.

Enjoy whatever you end up getting! The new ones look solid like the old days so best of luck if you go for it.

Just to throw in a contrary view - isn't the VFR the equivalent of Porsche 911 or BMW M5 in the bike world?....people buy them because they are the 'best', so they don't need to actually have any capability of forming an opinion - so you end up actually with the boring choice of boring people (even if it is very capable).

Not sure what the answer to this is - suppose you hold your head up high and get the VFR anyway (happy in the knowledge that at least you have made an informed choice)...

The only thing you could level at the 911 is its ubiquity maybe - but if you actually enjoy driving I've no doubt it ain't boring.

As far as the M5 goes - how many do you see? I see maybe a couple a year - can hardly be described as the conformist option. Pretty much my ideal money no object car would be an M5 tourer.

Yeah, bad English on my part. I wasn't implying they were similar but the NC30 is the only other bike I would have been happy to keep. I always felt too big/tall for it and it encouraged late braking and silly corner speeds. I was getting too old for it! I think it's a trackday machine.

I'm a short ar*e so the 400 is a good fit - though it's not exactly comfy for anything other than a blast as you say - and any full on sports bike feels a bit silly tbh on the road, but great fun. My 1000 (a naked upright but sports derived) on the other hand requires a bit more planning when coming to a stop and a lot more leg stretching!

Getting divorced is not a good reason for getting a motorcycle. Although divorce may present many opportunities do do stuff you weren't allowed. The VFR is a nice bike. :blink:

Thanks for all the feedback.

Only questions are...

Red or white, panniers not?

I will now :D

The white looks great when clean - chap goes past on one every day. I'd go for the red though as I'm no fan of keeping things immaculate and yeah, stick the luggage on. Probably inspire you to go on tour so absolutely!

It shall live again. I think I might put a new battery in the Harley, and see if it goes. It's stuck behind gardening tools in the garage. Sort of a Jesus moment, just right for Easter. :wacko:

I'm seriously thinking about getting a bike, after 15 years or so out of the game...I've been looking at all & sundry...I started at a brand new Lexmoto...They look quite meaty for the money, but they will probably fall apart after a couple of years, and with the 125, you'll be revving the nuts off it everywhere you go..

I then thought about a CBR250, even a Bandit, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. I don't want anything to big to start off with. My step brother had a go on a NC30, but he said that they a bit too small. I've no idea what to go for at the mo...