House Price Crash Forum

Another Major Offloading Of Student Btl (For Stupid Money)

HOLA441

Another major dump of a BTL portfolio in Cardiff, Swansea, Coventry and Aberdeen

142 bedrooms rising to 150 bedrooms in the academic year 2016/2017 situated within 17 properties

PORTFOLIO A comprises:
* 13 houses in Cardiff
* 1 house building in Swansea
* 2 houses in Coventry

PORTFOLIO B comprises:
* A block of flats in Aberdeen

All yours for just £7.5million :o:blink: looking for an Iranian/Russian/etc. wanting to launder some money???

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40684848.html

HOLA442

Another major dump of a BTL portfolio in Cardiff, Swansea, Coventry and Aberdeen

142 bedrooms rising to 150 bedrooms in the academic year 2016/2017 situated within 17 properties

PORTFOLIO A comprises:

* 13 houses in Cardiff

* 2 houses in Coventry

PORTFOLIO B comprises:

All yours for just £7.5million :o:blink: looking for an Iranian/Russian/etc. wanting to launder some money???

Are they the same seller?

Talk about running yourself ragged maintaining them.

Did anyone spot my little joke there?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Student accommodation building has been the way to go. They are then being used as conference and even tourist accommodation during student vacations. Bath University I believe are in the tourist market all of the time :John Wood Building and university campus run as accommodation business advertised on tourist agency websites throughout the year.

HOLA448

Student accommodation building has been the way to go. They are then being used as conference and even tourist accommodation during student vacations. Bath University I believe are in the tourist market all of the time :John Wood Building and university campus run as accommodation business advertised on tourist agency websites throughout the year.

Universities in tourist hotspots are surely coining it.* When they don't have conferences in, they rent the rooms out to visitors.

It is, I suspect, why all the bedrooms on Falmouth/Exeter's Tremough campus have double beds and ensuite shower cupboards (well, they aren't rooms).

*The likes of Coventry and Northampton, maybe not so much.

HOLA449

Not surprised they are selling there appears to be a frenzy of new build student accommodation around the country. Why live in a run down house if you can have a nice flat.

Talking of which look what has just been approved in Cardiff: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-35766959 Wales' tallest building - a 42 storey tower housing 450 students. That's equivalent to about 60-90 student houses.

HOLA4410

Eventually they'll work out that they can get more money by letting it to tourists all year round. Then we'll be back to square one...

HOLA4411

Eventually they'll work out that they can get more money by letting it to tourists all year round. Then we'll be back to square one...

I don't think so - someone has mentioned Exeter and I've been watching things there a bit recently, it's my parents' nearest city. Apparently foreign students are paying up to a couple of hundred quid a week for a uni-owned room, it's a solid 9-month deal and then they're free for the high summer rents. Don't know how much rents are for a regular room. A lot of the foreign students are from wealthy families and expect posh digs so universities just responding to that market.

Think probably is better to have university as landlord, rather than scummy normal landlord. All in all it's a tendency I quite approve of, after my 30 quid a week for slugs in the bathroom and hazardous gas appliances when I was studying. We had TWO hazardous gas appliances in a 3-roomed flat - all 3 bedrooms, of course, no sitting-room - and when the landlord kept on not responding to our requests that he look into the smell of gas in two of the bedrooms, we eventually rang the gas company and were told to leave the flat immediately and wait on the street until they arrived. They disconnected two heaters and put 'it is a criminal offence to reconnect this appliance' tags on them, it was spring by that point so we just did without heating but am quite sure that the landlord will have just reconnected them. No nostalgia, go universities, build your bums off!

HOLA4412

It's better for lecture attendance and pastoral care to have students in campus accommodation. This in turn improves exam results and league tables which makes it easier to charge £9k a year in tuition fees.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

PORTFOLIO A comprises:

* 13 houses in Cardiff

* 2 houses in Coventry

PORTFOLIO B comprises:

What did you search for to get that in your results?

HOLA4415

Ahh, hanging out with the band of loons called holiday home owners.

One, bar London, the UK does not have an all-year holiday market.

Most holiday lets will be lucky to get the school holidays booked - 15 weeks.

And then you need to maintain and clean the house.

My home village is blighted with a huge number of holiday lets.

A lot of 'investors' are looking to sell up, or rent to a tenant.

You will be very lucky to make money with a holiday let if it has any finance on it.

HOLA4416

What did you search for to get that in your results?

It's was sheer chance that Cardiff is one of the several places where I keep an eye on the prices and that was a pretty eye catching (as well as watering) listing on rightmove. Chances are there are other places in the UK where this is happening - esp those with large student populations.

HOLA4417

Student accommodation building has been the way to go. They are then being used as conference and even tourist accommodation during student vacations. Bath University I believe are in the tourist market all of the time :John Wood Building[/size] and university campus run as accommodation business advertised on tourist agency websites throughout the year.

This was standard when our two were at uni - Nottingham and Newcastle - mid 90s - 2001. They always had to clear their hall rooms in the vacations, for conferences etc.

There have been a lot of 'luxury student studios' built around here lately, but I gather that they're pretty pricey and targeted more at overseas students. From what I see and hear of students getting on and off the bus at the Kingston uni campus near here, a lot would seem to be non Brit.

Edited by Mrs Bear

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Mate was told to invest with his chums in BTL near Leicester Unis. Smart dude didn't. Turns out all the Southern BTL'ers that poured in got burnt as the Uni ended up building decent student digs completely out competing the BTL-Student landlords.

Long may such portfolios be released for the masses.

• 2 years later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest TheBlueCat
10 hours ago, chickens said:

Far out?

I read a science fiction book once about a guy who got stuck in a very slow moving bubble of time. Everything around him moved super-fast and, by the time he realised what was happening and responded to things, months had passed. I'm beginning to this it may have been a true story.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425