House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lavalas

C4 Dispatches - Housing Benefit

I suspect so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3490869/Landlords-making-1m-year-housing-benefits-Channel-4-s-Dispatches-shows-exploiting-hand-outs-forcing-tenants-live-dangerous-accommodation.html

'More than 200 individual landlords across the country have collected more than £1million each in housing benefits over the last three years, Monday’s Dispatches will show.

The programme, airing on Channel 4, investigates how private landlords are now the fastest growing provider of accommodation for housing benefit tenants, receiving £9billion a year from public funds.'

The increasing percentage of housing stock that falls into the hands of the buy to let brigade, the more power they have to increase rents and drive house prices higher. The more they receive in housing benefit the more houses they can buy and the positive feedback loop is strengthened. The government are f**king morons.

There's various shokcing things about UK HB.

The main ones are:

1) Why do we allow people to sit around i none of the worlds most expensive cities in tax payer subbed housing.

2) Double why when the majority are not British nationals.

The main ones are:

1) Why do we allow people to sit around i none of the worlds most expensive cities in tax payer subbed housing.

The response to no. 1 is that the vast majority of HB recipients are actually in work. So the issue is not that we are paying them to sit around, the issue is why are hundreds of thousands of full time workers unable to afford their rent? It may be a subtle difference, and the solution to the problem might be the same but as things stand London couldn't function without these employees. I agree that removing these props is the right course of action - either we get massive pay increases for the lower paid (unlikely), rents fall dramatically (more likely) or vast numbers of low paid workers flee London - with all of the consequences that entails. It would certainly be interesting to see what happens.

I am not sure if 2. is true - do you have a source?

The main ones are:

There's a very strange idea that people have a 'right' to live in a certain place when it's funded by public money. As a taxpayer I only have the 'right' to live in places I can afford. If I'd like to be in nicer place, I have to pay more money. I'm currently renting a flat above a shop in a part of town I don't really love. It's not social cleansing, it's common sense.

Letting BTL landlords receive housing benefit so people can stay in certain boroughs of London has made the overall housing situation worse. It sets a floor for rents and costs billions. It's also made it a worthwhile occupation to set yourself up as a housing benefit landlord. Pure shortsightedness.

:o £9billion a year from public funds goes to the hands of BTL'ers!

Ridiculous how this system is mainly reponsible for keeping rents so high.

Why not aim a bit of austerity their way, and cut back on the amount of HB payable to LL's for every property?

They'd have to put the rents down then!

And still the MSM target the odd unemployed person / family who scam a couple of 1000 pounds extra in benefits. I wonder why they do this and miss the BTL scam ? Probably due to most of them being neck deep into BTL or have a family member who is.

Until the govt, of any colour, tackles this monster the UK will never get itself or its people out of this hole. Osborne could save a lot of time and effort - rather than have his mandarins working on how to close a few tax loopholes to save £50M here and there , or introducing stealth taxes to grab a few hundred million elsewhere....jeez. Just bust the BTL scam and kill outrageous HB payments to LL's.

:o £9billion a year from public funds goes to the hands of BTL'ers!

Ridiculous how this system is mainly reponsible for keeping rents so high.

Why not aim a bit of austerity their way, and cut back on the amount of HB payable to LL's for every property?

TBH I'd have thought it was more than £9bn - isn't the annual HB bill something like £23bn? And yet they are STILL flogging off social housing, when SH rents could go back into maintaining/increasing stock, rather than into LLs' pockets. It makes absolutely no sense, not that making sense often has much to do with govt. policy.

I suspect so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3490869/Landlords-making-1m-year-housing-benefits-Channel-4-s-Dispatches-shows-exploiting-hand-outs-forcing-tenants-live-dangerous-accommodation.html

'More than 200 individual landlords across the country have collected more than £1million each in housing benefits over the last three years, Monday’s Dispatches will show.

The programme, airing on Channel 4, investigates how private landlords are now the fastest growing provider of accommodation for housing benefit tenants, receiving £9billion a year from public funds.'

They have only just noticed

I have mentioned on the forum a few years ago now, we were outbid for a rental by people on HB, we had asked for a small % rent reduction and the HB recipients said they would (sorry the taxpayer would) take it at the list price. So more cash for the BTL LL and more tax to pay by the taxpayer (me in this case) who was ironically priced out by the HB recipient and a prop keeping rents high as well.

So sickeningly unfair!

I am not sure if 2. is true - do you have a source?

You are fecking kidding.

Just been to the bank, there's plenty of were plenty EE's milling around and they were not working.

We have a ceiling on the amount that any one family can claim in benefits, how about a ceiling on the amount of HB that any one landlord can claim - something like 1/3 of their tenants - so if you rent a flat to 3 students only one can claim, and in a large house with 9 people crammed in, only 3 will be eligible for HB.

It would ensure the rents being asked are actually achievable by working people and flush out the slumlords.

We have a ceiling on the amount that any one family can claim in benefits, how about a ceiling on the amount of HB that any one landlord can claim - something like 1/3 of their tenants - so if you rent a flat to 3 students only one can claim, and in a large house with 9 people crammed in, only 3 will be eligible for HB.

It would ensure the rents being asked are actually achievable by working people and flush out the slumlords.

Actually that is a very good idea.

We are paying millions of pounds to dodgy spivs to house immigrants in dangerous flats.

Why the heck can't we just use that money to build decent quality housing and allocate it to people based on local connection and need?

We are paying millions of pounds to dodgy spivs to house immigrants in dangerous flats.

Why the heck can't we just use that money to build decent quality housing and allocate it to people based on local connection and need?

Drop the 'need' bit.

Or at least rework it!

Someone who works needs to be there their job.

Someone who lives in London and does not work can fck off and be housed in Middlebrough.

TBH I'd have thought it was more than £9bn - isn't the annual HB bill something like £23bn? And yet they are STILL flogging off social housing, when SH rents could go back into maintaining/increasing stock, rather than into LLs' pockets. It makes absolutely no sense, not that making sense often has much to do with govt. policy.

HB spending £24.3 bn in 2014-15

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/housing-benefit-cuts-investment-house-building-cuts-tories-david-cameron-a6875311.html

I am absolutely DISGUSTED ---- I knew things were bad --- but they are MONUMENTALLY bad ---- indeed - they are CATASTROPHICALLY bad.

How ANY govt can stand by and LET THIS HAPPEN --- is just completely BEYOND BELIEF.

I AM JUST SO EXASPERATED by the state of this nation. I REALLY really really do despair.

They could have easily devoted an hour on this subject. That narrow bedsit looked depressing. Tenant even had a dog too! :blink:

£70,000 a year HB going to a LL for a small 2 bed house converted to 5 cupboard like flats! :o

No wonder LL's love converting these houses to flats!

I'm looking to move to another private rental. A lot of what I see in my budget are rooms in family houses. Very depressing to see. The slumlord could get another one or two bedsits out of the building if s/he went into the loft space! :ph34r: Converting smaller family homes into tiny flats or bedsits like this should be illegal. At the end of the programme, seeing how the electrics can get overloaded, surely the Government must take swift action now?

I wish there was some way of turning off the Housing Benefit tap for the slumlords' pockets without financially hurting the vulnerable tenants. :unsure:

Interesting to see one of the London councils 'set up shop' at the property auction.

I really wish local authorities had the financial clout and balls to build more social rented homes en masse and put these b*st*rd slumloards out of business.