House Price Crash Forum

Cetirizine (Anti-Histamine) Question

DTMark

HOLA441

I have a house dust mite allergy and I normally take two of the Sainsbury's own-brand Cetirizine tablets a day which controls that. I don't normally get any side-effects from that.

This week I bought some cheaper ones in Boots labelled "Cetirizine Hydrochloride" instead of simply "Cetirizine". Same strength.

It might be pure co-incidence, but I think these are responsible for a sensation of pain on the glands down the left hand side of my throat.

"Sore throat" is one possible side-effect of cetirizine, but it's only these tablets that do this.

Has anyone else had this and can anyone venture an explanation for why this is happening?

HOLA442

This week I bought some cheaper ones in Boots labelled "Cetirizine Hydrochloride" instead of simply "Cetirizine". Same strength.

I know nothing, but a quick look on the internet suggests that the substance sold as Cetirizine is always Cetirizine hydrochloride. Next time you get some of the old kind, have a close look at the ingredients and see if there's any difference at all between the two versions.

Apart from that, good luck!

HOLA443
HOLA444

As far as I know, it's the same stuff. It's generic and is probably produced in several factories for multiple brands. I think you have a coincidence on your hands (er glands). I used to take it for hayfever but switched to Loratadine which seems more effective for me. Just buy the cheapest. It's all the same bar packaging.

£2.50 for 30 at Asda (own brand). Boots are a rip off.

HOLA445

It's quite sore now. On the left hand side only, below the jaw line and above the Adam's apple. Had 3 tablets and this has come on about 15 minutes after each one.

A quick look on the NHS website reveals that this might be caused by, among other things, a dental abscess.

I have a dodgy tooth on the same side that flares up occasionally thanks to (we think) some work by a previous dentist putting "pins" in the tooth when crowning it which quite literally "touched a nerve".

It isn't playing up now, but I keep meaning to have the root canal work done or have it removed altogether.

So it might be that.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Quite often it's the 'non-active' ingredients (which vary from brand to brand) that cause side effects. I remember some pill that my father was supposed to take had a colourant in it that could cause heart palpitations and other more serious issues.

In cases like these I get the impression they (the pharma industry) do this on purpose as that way they can sell you another pill to stop the heart palpitations...

If I were you I'd go to Sainsbury's tomorrow morning and buy the ones you had before. Your well being is worth more than the few pennies you saved by buying the ones giving you side effects.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Funny thing is that the tooth which has the problem isn't "playing up" at the moment. Though it might be that the nerve has now totally died so it could be infected. But that usually results in the gum becoming inflamed and it isn't.

I do have some other cold-like symptoms. The soreness in the "gland" has now largely gone. It lasts for a few hours. It is only on that side, though - the same side as the dodgy tooth. Mind you it didn't hurt until I started taking these tablets.

I did try to book a doctor's appointment to get it checked but there aren't any so I'll have to book in at the Bupa centre for a private appointment in the week if it persists and traipse over to Reading.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

That tooth is definitely problematic. I left the previous dentist because I felt uneasy about them.

The new one is superb. Although I wasn't having issues with that tooth at that time he took some x-rays and showed me a dark spot which indicated that part of the nerve had died. I could also see where the "pin" penetrated this area passing close to touching that nerve.

He wants to do some root canal work on it, or remove it, my choice. The former is not guaranteed to save the tooth.

Yet, I only get sensation from it perhaps once per year where it can "turn nasty". I has to have antibiotics once when it hurt.

Though thinking about it I have had no sensation from it for a long time. Maybe it has died altogether and so there's bacteria there which is related to the "gland" issue.

On the other hand, perhaps I just have a cold. I do have some cough symptoms consistent with allergy. Sinuses are fine at the moment. Though I've never had a cold that makes the gland on one side of my throat ache.

If it persists I'll have to book in at Bupa and see what they say.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

That tooth is definitely problematic. I left the previous dentist because I felt uneasy about them.

The new one is superb. Although I wasn't having issues with that tooth at that time he took some x-rays and showed me a dark spot which indicated that part of the nerve had died. I could also see where the "pin" penetrated this area passing close to touching that nerve.

He wants to do some root canal work on it, or remove it, my choice. The former is not guaranteed to save the tooth.

Yet, I only get sensation from it perhaps once per year where it can "turn nasty". I has to have antibiotics once when it hurt.

Though thinking about it I have had no sensation from it for a long time. Maybe it has died altogether and so there's bacteria there which is related to the "gland" issue.

On the other hand, perhaps I just have a cold. I do have some cough symptoms consistent with allergy. Sinuses are fine at the moment. Though I've never had a cold that makes the gland on one side of my throat ache.

If it persists I'll have to book in at Bupa and see what they say.

dentist should give you some Metrodinazone or some similar sounding anearobic anti microbial...takes about 3 days to clear up stuff like this, but you cant drink alcohol on this stuff.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

So if you have some kind of gum infection you go to the dentist and not to a GP? I didn't know that dentists gave out prescriptions for antibiotics?

yeah, I went to the GP wth very painful glands up around the jaw, and he gave me stuff which didnt work...he said it was dental, and the dentist gave me a different bactericide...Metronidazole....there...think thats it....kills bacteria that dont need air...cheaper too, only charge a fiver for the course.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

yeah, I went to the GP wth very painful glands up around the jaw, and he gave me stuff which didnt work...he said it was dental, and the dentist gave me a different bactericide...Metronidazole....there...think thats it....kills bacteria that dont need air...cheaper too, only charge a fiver for the course.

Did your problem "come and go"?

I think the trigger for this is eating. Haven't had any of the cetirizine today and was fine until shortly after lunch.

The gland pain comes about 30 minutes after I eat and remains for a few hours.

On the basis that the tooth needs attention anyway I'll book an appointment with the dentist to finally get it sorted.

HOLA4421

Where is this gland pain - on the side of the neck? If so, go see your GP ASAP.

Are you sure it is a gland and not arterial? Hence, go to see the GP.

Gluten can cause pressure in the sinus and ear cavities, thereby causing pain in the dental area, as little as a few hours after eating it. Not heard of it being as rapid as 30 minutes though.

HOLA4422

If I put my fingers down the back of my throat on that side, they won't reach down far enough to where the pain is. It's on the side of the throat above the Adam's Apple. It's "concerning" as opposed to "severe".

I did try calling the NHS doctor, but there are no appointments available with any doctor at the moment. They don't book ahead, basically it appears that you have to call first thing as soon as the slots for the next couple of days are released and get in first.

BUPA don't appear to do private GP appointments at Reading any more. That was the nearest.

What is the matter with this country - I can't believe that there isn't a market for private GP services especially given that the NHS service is so abysmal. While I keep seeing adverts on TV telling people to go and see their doctor at the slightest whiff of an illness in case it might be X, Y or Z.

I'll have a look later on and see if I can get in somewhere in Central London later in the week.

HOLA4423

If I put my fingers down the back of my throat on that side, they won't reach down far enough to where the pain is. It's on the side of the throat above the Adam's Apple. It's "concerning" as opposed to "severe".

I often get pain or soreness - strep - in the back of my throat after taking my asthma steroid inhaler if I forget to rinse my throat afterwards.

I also get it when I have sinus problems - infected gunk runs down the back of my throat from my sinuses and makes the throat painfully sore. I suspect you have something going on similar as you know that it is related to the drugs you are taking... and you only take them when you have a problem... so it would seem obvious that there is some kind of reaction.

We can talk about it till the cows come home but you need to get it checke out by the dentist or GP - you know that. Try not to worry though as, as I just said, seems to be somewhere in that allergy/drug area where you are getting some kind of reaction.

Whilst you are waiting, if you are still concerned, probably a deep search of google might bring up some posts from people with similar experiences.

HOLA4424

Off to see the dentist tomorrow at 17:30.

I'll see what he says first and if he thinks that the two are linked. He might just pull the tooth out and give me some antibiotics.

I have been using Seretide and just thought to check the side of the one I'm using. I must have mixed it up with the one I found in the bedroom. This one expired three years ago. Oops. I wonder if that might have something to do with it. That has gone in the bin now.

Regardless the tooth needs attention anyway so it has finally compelled me to get something done about that.

HOLA4425

I did find this..

It's June 2013, I used an inhaler that expired in 2010...with in an hour I had a full blown fever and at night I woke up with the worst soar throat I'd ever experienced. I couldn't swallow my own spit...the next day still feel a little weird and a raspy feeling in my throat

Archived