House Price Crash Forum

Blue Monday On 1930S Instruments

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

This is really really good and, unlike so many of these type of things, played entirely straight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/qnLLpZgBW92dSrV2mmGyCb/new-order-olden-style-a-unique-take-on-blue-monday?intc_type=singletheme&intc_location=arts&intc_campaign=arts&intc_linkname=vidclip_new_contentcard4

I also like the funnier old treatments like the ukulele ones but this is not something I've heard before.

I await their take on Born Slippy or Firestarter; the latter was actually a cover of an old song:

HOLA442

Sounds really good! B)

I cannot play a musical instrument but I wouldn't mind learning the theramin played here and (albeit considerably later than 1933) a Moog synth.

HOLA443

This is really really good and, unlike so many of these type of things, played entirely straight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/qnLLpZgBW92dSrV2mmGyCb/new-order-olden-style-a-unique-take-on-blue-monday?intc_type=singletheme&intc_location=arts&intc_campaign=arts&intc_linkname=vidclip_new_contentcard4

I also like the funnier old treatments like the ukulele ones but this is not something I've heard before.

I await their take on Born Slippy or Firestarter; the latter was actually a cover of an old song:

It is cool and original unlike most covers though of course they are almost certainly using modern recording technology to capture the sounds from older instruments not the vacuum tubes and electromagnetic recording heads used in the 1930s by the likes of Victor.

The singers voice is not from that era either

Might sound a bit different it was cut on a shellac 78

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I applaud the effort.

And I venture that it's true that a good melody is a good melody regardless of the instruments used to create it. The orchestral renditions of the Beatles' tracks which were created to bring those melodies to a wider audience (back then: older people who found "rock and roll" vulgar) were mostly successful in what they achieved. They lacked the rawness of the sound, but they conveyed the ideas.

However, that's a fail, and it's because it lacks all of the immediacy of the electronic version. Which is not actually about the melody on this particular track, but more about the impact, effects and punctuation which are lost in this rendition.

It's great fun, though :)

Archived