• Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Graphic videos of beheadings filmed by Islamic State and released on the internet have turned the group into a globally feared brand. But they have also prompted anguished questions about how much such organisations should be given “the oxygen of publicity”.
“Terrorist organisations receive extensive media attention,” Jetter says. “Whether it is the Taliban, al-Qaida, Boko Haram or, recently, Isis, terrorism is everywhere on TV stations, newspapers and the radio. We also know that terrorists need media coverage to spread their message, create fear and recruit followers.
“However, until now we did not know whether media attention actively encourages terrorist attacks. This paper derives an empirical methodology to provide an answer to that question.”

It's seems they don't want to give them the publicity.

The research builds on earlier work by other economists that suggests terrorism causes media attention and vice versa, leading to an inflationary spiral.
According to Jetter, one additional New York Times article about an attack in a particular country increased the number of ensuing attacks in the same country by between 11% and 15%. On average, he calculates that an additional NYT article appears to result in between one and two casualties from another terrorist attack within the next week.
Different types of terrorist activity were found to have different media impacts. Jetter’s paper, to be presented at the annual European Economic Association congress in Mannheim, Germany, later this month, found that suicide missions receive significantly more media coverage, which he believes could explain their increased popularity among terrorist groups.

So that might be the reason?

Source :- http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/aug/01/media-coverage-terrorism-further-violence

“What this article is suggesting is that we may need to rethink the sensationalist coverage of terrorism and stop providing terrorists a free media platform,” he said. “Media coverage of other events that are causing more harm in the world should not be neglected at the expense of media marathons discussing the cruelties of terrorists.”

While that's all well 'n' good. Don't we have the right to know if we are going to be beheaded when we book a holiday?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

It's seems they don't want to give them the publicity.

So that might be the reason?

Source :- http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/aug/01/media-coverage-terrorism-further-violence

While that's all well 'n' good. Don't we have the right to know if we are going to be beheaded when we book a holiday?

It is a very good idea to tone down the coverage. A lot of people were seriously affected by the Paris attacks because of the wall to wall media saturation while it was happening and for days after. Monday morning at work was very quiet.

Result: maximum publicity for terrorists and a scared population which is exactly what they want.

I found myself hardly affected by it which I entirely put down to not having a telly or listening to news radio. Once I found out about it it was already over so (very) recent history rather than something in the present.

If the media start toning it down, cease the rolling coverage, and don't make it the lead story for weeks then the value of the attack to the terrorists is hugely diminished.

And if you're running the risk of being beheaded when you book your holiday then may I suggest your going to a different travel agency?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

More to the point who books a holiday there these days?

When people wonder why this sort of thing never happened in the past it was simply down to the fact most Europeans never went near these places. In fact back then a week in Benidorm was exotic.

The greatest boons to terrorism in my life time has been the growth of cheap air travel, 24 hour rolling news coverage and Facebook and Twitter.

On edit - Just to qualify the above it appears that the Ivory Coast is not on the UK budget or charter airline schedules as it is an ex French colony so most flights in and out from Europe go via France.

HOLA4419

It is a very good idea to tone down the coverage. A lot of people were seriously affected by the Paris attacks because of the wall to wall media saturation while it was happening and for days after. Monday morning at work was very quiet.

I used to live in the Cote d'Ivoire and weekend at Grand Bassam so the news caught my attention a bit.

Regarding the Paris attacks the missus had a girl studying in her department whose mum was killed in the Charlie attacks and a colleague killed at the Bataclan.

But like you I won't think twice about going to Paris in a couple of weeks. Life goes on.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Spain is already fully booked up this summer, and France and

Italy cannot be far behind. Will we see a revival in family holidays in Cleethorpes?

People are snobs. There is nothing nor has there ever been anything wrong with holidays to Spain. Its cheap and undemanding, yet dig a little deeper and it is an awesome country.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I'm off to Turkey with the family over Easter. Reckon we've got more chance of being struck dead by a meteorite than being machine gunned on the beach. But if my sums are wrong, been nice knowing you guys.

Good luck, Turkey is turning into the next Syria with Erdogan stirring up a bloody civil war in his own country.

https://www.rt.com/news/335200-cizre-burned-beheaded-kurds-erdogan/

https://www.rt.com/news/335463-central-ankara-blast-sunday/

While beach resorts on the med coast are far away from the action for now, I still wouldn't go there simply because I'd hate to support the despotic Turkish regime with my money.

HOLA4425

Good luck, Turkey is turning into the next Syria with Erdogan stirring up a bloody civil war in his own country.

https://www.rt.com/news/335200-cizre-burned-beheaded-kurds-erdogan/

https://www.rt.com/news/335463-central-ankara-blast-sunday/

While beach resorts on the med coast are far away from the action for now, I still wouldn't go there simply because I'd hate to support the despotic Turkish regime with my money.

It looks like it doesn't it. I also wouldn't go for the above reason. Why would you want to support such a regime?

It's probably safe though, I mean what are the chances of getting shot/blown up? Pretty slim.

Archived