House Price Crash Forum

prices are on the way up....... or getting asking price....close to.

there is not a lot of properties around, which are qlty, and the one's that are around, the prices are to high

It is a good area, with a lot of growth, and the university is increasing so the demand will increase.

:(

there is not a lot of properties around, which are qlty, and the one's that are around, the prices are to high

It is a good area, with a lot of growth, and the university is increasing so the demand will increase.

Rather than wasting your time looking at this web site why not go and buy a few more properties in Surbiton then!

ohhhhhhhhh touchie.............already have........why don't you give some proper input.......

ohhhhhhhhh touchie.............already have........why don't you give some proper input.......

A friend has put their house on the market, 3 bed semi, including garage, £320k.

15 minute walk to the station, quiet road. A year ago this place would have sold in a week, it's been on the market for about a month and nobody has bothered to even arrange a viewing.

I was at a dinner party a few weeks back and the best reasons people could give is that it is in a cul-de-sac, so obviously nobody could see the sign.

Also the usual stories about they they should get a new estate agent, because obviously the current one isn't doing their job.

No mention that 2 years ago this place would have had a queue of people waiting to buy.

It's the usual story of a family wanting to buy a bigger house, amazed at how much money they've made off this one, then finding they can't afford to trade up to another bedroom.

Fools Gold indeed.

If prices dropped 50% this family could comfortably afford another bedroom.

But oh no, that would be terrible, don't you know, we should be happy when prices go up.

IMHO Surbiton is a nice place to live, but the train into London is overrated.

There are nicer suburbs closer to London that offer far better value for money and trains that take less time to Waterloo.

It's going down with everything else though, the train/river/high street/ whatever other rubbish excuse your EA can dream up won't stop this place sinking with the rest of the UK.

Edited by BandWagon

Surbiton sounds like the **** end of nowhere. I cant even find it on a map. Surbiton... university? What university are you prattling on about? Go on, piss you money down a drain.

IMHO Surbiton is a nice place to live, but the train into London is overrated.

There are nicer suburbs closer to London that offer far better value for money and trains that take less time to Waterloo.

It's going down with everything else though, the train/river/high street/ whatever other rubbish excuse your EA can dream up won't stop this place sinking with the rest of the UK.

Surbiton is my area of interest, but I think that whilst the central/river areas are very nice and offer a lot of facilities, certain other parts are a lot worse but don't seem to offer that much of a reduction in price.

I don't think that prices are increasing in Surbiton. Up until 6 months ago most flats in good roads that were not ridiculously over-priced were selling through very quicky. Lately some of these flats have been hanging around on the market for longer periods. Asking prices have not gone down that much, but the longer period on the market must suggest that actual prices are tending slightly downwards.

I have yet to find any suburbs closer to London that can offer what Surbiton can for less money. If you know of any, please let me know so I can have a look at them! The only other place I have looked at is Wimbledon, but it is a lot more expensive, has a relatively poor shopping centre, and is only 5 minutes quicker on the train into Waterloo. It has the tube, but this is useless for getting into central London from the suburbs. 2 bed flats are the best part of £50k higher than in Surbiton :blink:

Surbiton is my area of interest, but I think that whilst the central/river areas are very nice and offer a lot of facilities, certain other parts are a lot worse but don't seem to offer that much of a reduction in price.

I don't think that prices are increasing in Surbiton. Up until 6 months ago most flats in good roads that were not ridiculously over-priced were selling through very quicky. Lately some of these flats have been hanging around on the market for longer periods. Asking prices have not gone down that much, but the longer period on the market must suggest that actual prices are tending slightly downwards.

I have yet to find any suburbs closer to London that can offer what Surbiton can for less money. If you know of any, please let me know so I can have a look at them! The only other place I have looked at is Wimbledon, but it is a lot more expensive, has a relatively poor shopping centre, and is only 5 minutes quicker on the train into Waterloo. It has the tube, but this is useless for getting into central London from the suburbs. 2 bed flats are the best part of £50k higher than in Surbiton :blink:

There are some areas in Wimbledon which are cheaper such as Southfields, Raynes Park and Merton Park. Kingston is quite rough with all the young hanging around and the problems round the nightclub (the Works). A friend of ours is a policeman and says there are often knifings and drunks.

There are some areas in Wimbledon which are cheaper such as Southfields, Raynes Park and Merton Park. Kingston is quite rough with all the young hanging around and the problems round the nightclub (the Works). A friend of ours is a policeman and says there are often knifings and drunks.

The problem is that the cheaper areas of Wimbledon have poorer transport links. There is no advantage to living in those parts, and they are still as expensive as nicer areas further out.

I agree about parts of Kingston in the evenings, and this is one of the reasons I have been looking at Surbiton. Kingston offers a lot of good things to do, but I would rather live slightly further out of the town centre. Surbiton allows you to walk in to the nicer parts of Kingston (riverside) in about 10 minutes, and avoid the rougher parts you have mentioned.

I thnk that similar problems are one of the things putting me off of investigating Wimbledon more closely as well. Every time I have been there lately, there has been big fights outside the station/Centre Court, Walkabout or the other bar near there (Po Na Na?). The areas I like in Wimbledon are near the town centre, so it feels as though it would be more difficult to get away from the violence/noise there.

Edited by FTB1

I agree with you about the lack of quality properties - there is a lot of over-priced cr*p on the market, and the good stuff does still seem to be going quite quickly, although I have noticed a slowdown in the second half of 2005.

The university will increase demand, but I don't think that this will have too much effect on the nicer parts of town. I think that increasing numbers of students will move out to Tolworth/Berrylands/Chessington to get better value.

If many more students do stay in Kingston or Surbiton they are likely to discourage professionals from moving to the area, so I don't think it would have an upward affect on prices.

I think that Surbiton offers good value compared to surrounding areas, and has not seen massive prices rises since 2002. This may suggest it will not be hit as badly as some areas, but it is certainly not immune to any future crash.

Edited by FTB1

Try looking around Worcester Park, the good parts are nice and leafy, there is more parking than most parts of London. Not sure of your price range, but you can get a reasonable 3 bed semi for £250k (or thereabouts). The same place in Surbiton would start at over £300k.

I bet there are a few forced sellers who would snap your arm off for a deal.

Wimbledon, Richmond and Putney are only a 10 minute drive away.

Epsom is nearby, lots of open green space, good transport on the A3, and the train into Waterloo is about 25 minutes, Zone 4.

The council tax is a bit of a killer.

Edited by BandWagon

I agree with you about the lack of quality properties - there is a lot of over-priced cr*p on the market

Too true... one of the flats near where I rent is for sale, asking price is just short of £200k... nice location (river road), 1 bedroom, lower ground floor (or basement as I'd say), north facing, and total area of 36sq m... but it has some decking outside so it must be worth it :lol:

Edited by beerhunter

just a update people are paying asking prices from what i gather, EA's don't have much on there books to sell, and it's all getting to fustrating, ( 1bed flat 195k) :(

I have noticed this too. Asking prices had been flat for some time, but there seems to have been quite an increase in Q1 2006, especially in the central area.

Before 2006 the only 2 bed flats that had breached the £300k barrier (asking price) been the new build 'luxury' apartments and those with a direct river view. Now, there are several of the more standard 2 bedders on at this price.

Anything not ridiculously over-priced in the central area seems to be going under offer pretty quickly, but I think we should wait to see what prices they actually sell for before getting too worried!

I'm living in the oakhill area of surbiton. Nice enough, but some company verbera or something has been buying up a bunch of the big houses and turning them into tiny flats / renting out rooms. Primarily to people who behave like scum. Frankly. Used to be a top notch neighbourhood. now its getting relatively unpleasant.

Looks like people have been buying in the area and 6 months later selling up for £60k profitss. Train seems to be deteriorating, and increasing in cost along with local hpi...and council tax. (£140 a month for a 2 bed flat)

I'm living in the oakhill area of surbiton. Nice enough, but some company verbera or something has been buying up a bunch of the big houses and turning them into tiny flats / renting out rooms. Primarily to people who behave like scum. Frankly. Used to be a top notch neighbourhood. now its getting relatively unpleasant.

Looks like people have been buying in the area and 6 months later selling up for £60k profitss. Train seems to be deteriorating, and increasing in cost along with local hpi...and council tax. (£140 a month for a 2 bed flat)

Interesting post, RichB. I have not heard of Verbera, but there is another company in the area (Grayswood Properties, I think), who have bought up 3 or 4 large victorian houses to let out as flats under the banner 'quality homes for those who prefer to rent'. This seems like a quality outfit, and the flats look nice enough. The only problem is that it further restricts supply keeping prices high for the rest of us :angry:

In terms of the area itself, I think it is over-priced, but still offers great value compared to areas like Twickenham and Richmond.

I will continue looking in Surbiton as it is the only place that seems to offer the combination of a fast-ish train, good parks/green space, shopping and entertainment without paying crazy money.

In the short term, the over supply of rental properties means that good 2 bed flats are available at very competitive prices. (£900-£1000 per month)

Interesting post, RichB. I have not heard of Verbera, but there is another company in the area (Grayswood Properties, I think), who have bought up 3 or 4 large victorian houses to let out as flats under the banner 'quality homes for those who prefer to rent'. This seems like a quality outfit, and the flats look nice enough. The only problem is that it further restricts supply keeping prices high for the rest of us :angry:

In terms of the area itself, I think it is over-priced, but still offers great value compared to areas like Twickenham and Richmond.

I will continue looking in Surbiton as it is the only place that seems to offer the combination of a fast-ish train, good parks/green space, shopping and entertainment without paying crazy money.

In the short term, the over supply of rental properties means that good 2 bed flats are available at very competitive prices. (£900-£1000 per month)

i'm still looking around here but everytime i find something they either get asking price , or like the last one i got GUZZUMPED, by 5k......... :( , the area is nice, and i agree about trains, etc etc, but please let me know anymore info if anyone has any

my wifes bike was nicked from outside busy waitrose, near busy bus stop, mid afternoon. They kindly left the lock locked around the bike post it was secured to.

the police were unavailable for comment... seems they only work a few hours a day (in Putney they are open 11am to 2pm). Will see if they call back.

my wifes bike was nicked from outside busy waitrose, near busy bus stop, mid afternoon. They kindly left the lock locked around the bike post it was secured to.

the police were unavailable for comment... seems they only work a few hours a day (in Putney they are open 11am to 2pm). Will see if they call back.

What was the other end of the bike lock secured to? Did they have to cut the bike frame open, or just a couple of spokes. Eitherway not good.

Policing for non-violent crime seems to be non-existent these days. Some kids from the local (Balham) school put through the glass in our front door about 6 months ago. A neighbour working from home witnessed it and said he could identify those responsible if he saw them again.

The "police" didn't even come out. They interviewed both myself and my neighbour on my phone, and said there was nothing more to be done, but next time call 999. (Police is in "" because it was basically a civilian filling in a questionnaire to help them decide whether to send anyone).

Strangely enough, on the local news this morning, they announced that the borough of Kingston upon Thames is the bike crime capital of the country, with more stolen than even in Oxford or Cambridge!

I do think that the police' attitude to these sort of crimes is very slack, but in reality Kingston / Surbiton has very low crime figures compared to the rest of London. It still feels safe compared to most places that I go, and this is likely to have an upward effect on prices rather than anything else. :(

You beat me to it. This was on Radio 5 this morning too.

Having lived in and around Clapham / Clapham Junction / Balham for the last 8 years, I wouldn't even leave my bike for five seconds, lock or no lock. Personal crime record (victim obviously):

Mugged three times, convertible car roof slashed, smashed window in communal front door of flat.

Police were interested in the muggings, but nothing ever came of them. The rest they couldn't give a stuff.

These *&&(ers http://www.vereda.co.uk/properties.asp?id=6060 seem to have trashed the Oakhill area. These pads a ...ing filthy, rubbish blowing everywhere, noisy buggers too.

Thanks for the link - I wasn't aware of this company before. Such a shame, a lot of those houses in Oakhill are beautiful. Their size makes it difficult to sell on as full houses, but I would have thought that there would have been a lot of demand for large 2 bed conversions as it is a quiet area, close to the station etc.

It sounds to me as though this company has developed the houses under the guise of renting to 'students and professionals', but has ended up renting them all to Kingston Council instead.