House Price Crash Forum

German Börse To Merge With London Stock Exchange?

Bossybabe

HOLA441

This is probably on-topic, but you all know I don't do that...from the Times this morning:

The £20 billion merger between the London Stock Exchange and Deutsche Börse could be announced as soon as Monday, raising fears in the City that trade will soon be diverted to Frankfurt.

HOLA442
HOLA443

This is probably on-topic, but you all know I don't do that...from the Times this morning:

The £20 billion merger between the London Stock Exchange and Deutsche Börse could be announced as soon as Monday, raising fears in the City that trade will soon be diverted to Frankfurt.

There are two potential bidders as far as I am aware

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/11/the-london-stock-exchange-is-for-sale-who-will-get-it.html

Anyway the City of London ceased to be British run as long ago as Big Bang.

As mentioned if the Germans win and try to direct all the trade through Frankfurt there is nothing to stop the Yanks setting up a rival exchange in London if they want. In fact it might be the cheaper option for ICE who incidentally already own the London Future's exchange.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_International_Financial_Futures_and_Options_Exchange

HOLA444

London already merged with the main Italian (Milan) exchange some time ago.

There's no oldfashioned stock exchange any more: it's all been automated and the physical location of dealers is immaterial. This is just the companies responsible for running the (non-physical) exchanges looking to merge - for better or worse.

Other stock exchanges - like AIM in London - are nothing to do with this.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Virtually nowhere?

I've blown my tax rebate paying a whole year's council tax in one go. In one ear and out the other, eh. I have no money for shares in I.G.Farben, wherever the stoc market decides to be. If it decides Germany, will London go horrible, or more horrib;e than it was?

HOLA448

One can see with a British/Italian merger then Britain (London) might still be in charge (for various reasons). With a merger with Germany that outcome isn't so clear and it'll be impossible to structure the merger so that it's exactly 50/50 even if they wanted it so. Of course it depends to some extent on the terms of the merger.

The way things are trending it seems pretty sure that it'll eventually be controlled from the German end. Maybe in time we'll see pickets and placards outside the exchange in London calling for jobs to be saved - in Paternoster Square where the Occupy protests were.

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0311/who-owns-the-stock-exchanges.aspx

Stock exchanges are not like other businesses. The performance of national stock exchanges is often taken as a proxy for the health of a nation's economy, or at least investor enthusiasm for the country's prospects.

It could actually turn out to be good for some UK companies - a silver lining sort of thing.

http://www.correx-printing.co.uk/correx_board_printing/placards.html

HOLA449

I've blown my tax rebate paying a whole year's council tax in one go. In one ear and out the other, eh. I have no money for shares in I.G.Farben, wherever the stoc market decides to be. If it decides Germany, will London go horrible, or more horrib;e than it was?

The way I look at it is they lost the war and won the peace.

HOLA4410

One can see with a British/Italian merger then Britain (London) might still be in charge (for various reasons). With a merger with Germany that outcome isn't so clear and it'll be impossible to structure the merger so that it's exactly 50/50 even if they wanted it so. Of course it depends to some extent on the terms of the merger.

The way things are trending it seems pretty sure that it'll eventually be controlled from the German end. Maybe in time we'll see pickets and placards outside the exchange in London calling for jobs to be saved - in Paternoster Square where the Occupy protests were.

It could actually turn out to be good for some UK companies - a silver lining sort of thing.

http://www.correx-printing.co.uk/correx_board_printing/placards.html

The City of London is our own Dutch disease. In some ways we all benefit from the wealth that trickles down, but the very existence of this website highlights one of the many problems which result. If/when large parts of the financial world leave the UK there will be substantial side effects, but perhaps we'd all be a bit better off?

HOLA4411

This is just the Rothschilds merging two of their many businesses, I'm not sure what all the fuss here is about, it's not like you own or benefit from either of these exchanges in any way.

HOLA4412

The City of London is our own Dutch disease. In some ways we all benefit from the wealth that trickles down

No we don't, trickle down is a myth, the reality is trickle up. Banksters/Traders are parasites who don't produce anything useful to society, they take their large cut off our money and then mismanage it to their benefit, this should really be common knowledge by now among HPCers.

HOLA4413

No we don't, trickle down is a myth, the reality is trickle up. Banksters/Traders are parasites who don't produce anything useful to society, they take their large cut off our money and then mismanage it to their benefit, this should really be common knowledge by now among HPCers.

For once, we are in agreement. :blink:

Archived