House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Living In A Straw House

Well I'm impressed. Wage slave in a slavebox or living all day in the beautiful countryside; he's taken the right option.

SWNS_REED_HOUSE_03.jpg

"I had work, I had a car, I had a phone - I had everything. But I decided I didn't want that stuff any more.

"I feel much better now, much lighter. We don't need all these things to be happy."

He built a straw house on the banks of the River Severn a year ago out of harvested reeds and relied on odd jobs and home-grown crops to survive.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Meet-man-lives-straw-house-banks-River-Severn/story-28905702-detail/story.html

And of course the council can't have people being happy and not giving them a tax take so they are going to tear it down.

He says he'll be building another one.

Oh dear. It sounds like a friend of mine. :D

Frank is tempted. :blink:

Oh dear. It sounds like a friend of mine. :D

Frank is tempted. :blink:

Frank is impressed. I wish I'd have had the courage to chuck it in and go and do that during my London slavebox days.

Ten years living like that or ten years in a box in London. Hmmm....

Frank is impressed. I wish I'd have had the courage to chuck it in and go and do that during my London slavebox days.

How would your stereo work? I know a bloke who lives in a barn in west Wales. He has solar cells and batteries, and the council, and plod can't visit him without a good 4WD truck.

Don't believe everything you reed.

The guy clearly had a breakdown.

I think the term "breakdown" is used whenever someone says "Fück it. Consumerist wage slavery and rent paying sucks. I'm out."

I think the term "breakdown" is used whenever someone says "Fück it. Consumerist wage slavery and rent paying sucks. I'm out."

+1

Didnt the poles come to england to get away from this?!

Why not go back to poland. Cheaper. Although I guess the winters are a bit harsher. The bits bordering Germany arent too bad though most winters.

I think most of the thatching reed used here actually comes from Poland....

Well I'm impressed. Wage slave in a slavebox or living all day in the beautiful countryside; he's taken the right option.

SWNS_REED_HOUSE_03.jpg

In a tropical country maybe, but not in the UK.

SWNS_REED_HOUSE_03.jpg

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Meet-man-lives-straw-house-banks-River-Severn/story-28905702-detail/story.html

And of course the council can't have people being happy and not giving them a tax take so they are going to tear it down.

He says he'll be building another one.

And that folks is what it really is all about - always!

TPTB simply cannot permit ideas like this to be seen to be encouraged, allowing/making it easy for people to opt out of 'the system'.

It rarely has anything to do with these things being eyesores or public health issues - as very often these dwellings, when reported, are way out of public sight (often only coming to the authorities attention due to the stupidity of the creators publicising them!) and often very carefully designed/built by intelligent people who have used lots of creativity and planning to create a respectable and humble abode.

The real proof of the assertion in the first sentence is when, on some of the rarer occasions, these 'alternate lifestylers' have really done their homework and have exploited some perfectly legal loophole or obscure law/regulations - and get 'one up' on TPTB. The sheer wrath and indignation of TPTB manifests itself in the resulting invariably disproportionate time and (public!) finance expended to make sure these people 'don't get away with it', taking such cases all the way to the very highest courts/authorities. The money expended doing so in the process far exceeding what the average Joe would deem to be 'in the public interest'. Indeed in some cases the amounts spent could be used to 'normally' house the people involved till their dying days. But that fact doesn't enter the equation. Such activities cannot be permitted. End of.

I would add that I don't see how this thread does not deserve/qualify to be on the main House Prices & Economy board?

It's hardly Off Topic? OR, as I have alluded to recently, are even diehard HPC'ers are now becoming so numbed to all aspects of the insanity of the housing situation, overall, that these sorts of stories don't even seem to qualify anymore as worthy discussion on a board supposedly devoted to the subject of housing unaffordability, etc. I respectfully request this thread be moved to the main board forthwith to give it the wider audience it deserves.

And that folks is what it really is all about - always!

TPTB simply cannot permit ideas like this to be seen to be encouraged, allowing/making it easy for people to opt out of 'the system'.

It rarely has anything to do with these things being eyesores or public health issues - as very often these dwellings, when reported, are way out of public sight (often only coming to the authorities attention due to the stupidity of the creators publicising them!) and often very carefully designed/built by intelligent people who have used lots of creativity and planning to create a respectable and humble abode.

The real proof of the assertion in the first sentence is when, on some of the rarer occasions, these 'alternate lifestylers' have really done their homework and have exploited some perfectly legal loophole or obscure law/regulations - and get 'one up' on TPTB. The sheer wrath and indignation of TPTB manifests itself in the resulting invariably disproportionate time and (public!) finance expended to make sure these people 'don't get away with it', taking such cases all the way to the very highest courts/authorities. The money expended doing so in the process far exceeding what the average Joe would deem to be 'in the public interest'. Indeed in some cases the amounts spent could be used to 'normally' house the people involved till their dying days. But that fact doesn't enter the equation. Such activities cannot be permitted. End of.

It's no surprise that the authorities act in this way, it's about reinforcing their own power and control.

The worst thing is that most of the public agree with and enforce the rules against their own best interests. We're just a bunch of crabs in a bucket.

It's no surprise that the authorities act in this way, it's about reinforcing their own power and control.

The worst thing is that most of the public agree with and enforce the rules against their own best interests. We're just a bunch of crabs in a bucket.

I have no end of fun pointing out this very fact to people who are otherwise seemingly intelligent and well educated.

Usually such discussions start off with the person being enlightened (by me) quickly rebutting various points - usually with well worn 'sound bites' and other widely 'accepted wisdoms' that they have heard on TV, read in the papers, etc. I then proceed to logically and systematically dismantle many of these instant, almost reflex like, rebuttals.

This then starts the first of the 'Errrs' and 'Ummms' showing that, for the first time ever, they are starting to actually critically analyse their own counter arguments thrown back at me.

But this is only the beginning. Long held beliefs die hard. And the 'errrs' and 'ummms' are quickly pushed aside as the victim makes further successive retaliatory comments that become increasingly 'desperate', along the lines of "so why does everyone say that....."

To which I respond with something to the effect of "because they're wrong and, like you, have not thought it through....."

At the very least said victims end up walking away having been made to actually think about stuff that they had never done so before - and try to reconcile common sense with what they had been led to believe must be correct (e.g. rising house prices are always good, deflation must be avoided at all costs, etc).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2114920/Family-built-secret-house-woods-telling-planners-evicted-because.html

Do you remember this story? Country folk decide to build a house on their own land without seeking permission? They got away with it but the level of vitriol from the neighbours was shocking to me.

The comments on the story are encouraging though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2114920/Family-built-secret-house-woods-telling-planners-evicted-because.html

Do you remember this story? Country folk decide to build a house on their own land without seeking permission? They got away with it but the level of vitriol from the neighbours was shocking to me.

The comments on the story are encouraging though.

Yes. I remember seeing that. Good luck to them!

I just love the sort of comments this sort of 'naughty' activity inspires.....

"...I was completely unaware he had taken up residence on his land."

Errr....so why does it bother you now?

'.....You cannot just buy a field and build a house on it.”

Thanks to narrow minded selfish people like you!

The nature of these comments tends, in my opinion, to smack of nothing more than jealousy. The sort of feeling stupid for not having thought of it (or had the balls!) to do it myself, so I don't see why they should be allowed to do it. "It's not fair!. The mentality of a five year old.

The worst thing is that these comments invariably come from people who, by any rational measure, usually have everything one could want (good job, disposable income, nice home to raise a family, etc) BUT would happily try and deny those things to people without.

I've more than a fair few of these types and cut them down to size upon hearing such comments.
I have often thought that one could stand a respectable chance of repeating this particular trick by simply buying a plot of rural land, sufficiently large enough, sufficiently off the beaten tracks and erect loads of fencing and 'stay out/no tresspassing' signs to ensure that over the requisite number of years no one of concern will come across the house you then build.
Even after said period had elapsed though I would still keep shtumm and not go running to the Daily Mail to brag about what I had managed to do.

I have no end of fun pointing out this very fact to people who are otherwise seemingly intelligent and well educated.

Usually such discussions start off with the person being enlightened (by me) quickly rebutting various points - usually with well worn 'sound bites' and other widely 'accepted wisdoms' that they have heard on TV, read in the papers, etc. I then proceed to logically and systematically dismantle many of these instant, almost reflex like, rebuttals.

This then starts the first of the 'Errrs' and 'Ummms' showing that, for the first time ever, they are starting to actually critically analyse their own counter arguments thrown back at me.

But this is only the beginning. Long held beliefs die hard. And the 'errrs' and 'ummms' are quickly pushed aside as the victim makes further successive retaliatory comments that become increasingly 'desperate', along the lines of "so why does everyone say that....."

To which I respond with something to the effect of "because they're wrong and, like you, have not thought it through....."

At the very least said victims end up walking away having been made to actually think about stuff that they had never done so before - and try to reconcile common sense with what they had been led to believe must be correct (e.g. rising house prices are always good, deflation must be avoided at all costs, etc).

I call strawman on your argument

I would add that I don't see how this thread does not deserve/qualify to be on the main House Prices & Economy board?

It's hardly Off Topic? OR, as I have alluded to recently, are even diehard HPC'ers are now becoming so numbed to all aspects of the insanity of the housing situation, overall, that these sorts of stories don't even seem to qualify anymore as worthy discussion on a board supposedly devoted to the subject of housing unaffordability, etc. I respectfully request this thread be moved to the main board forthwith to give it the wider audience it deserves.

This is where all the cool kids hang out; the hidden agenda of the OT cabal is that we morph Off-Topic into On-Topic by sneaking in housing and economy threads and then invade Poland.

I drifted away from On Topic after I (reluctantly) had to buy a house which took the fire out of my arguments somewhat and I didn't want to turn into one of those annoying smug "HPI is brilliant" posters like Sibley; I still agree with the ethos of the site but personally gave up the fight.

I bought a house too, but really I bought a mortgage. :(