House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iop212

Landlord Returned Unprotected Deposit. Can I Still Claim 1-3X?

Hello,

I'm in the middle of a dispute with my landlord regarding disrepair. During the process I found out that the landlord did not protect my deposit, although he had 1) told me in writing before signing the contract that he 'always' put deposits in the government scheme and 2) supplied information on the deposit protection scheme he supposedly used on the tenancy agreement.

It turns out that he did not, and did not intend to, protect my deposit - which I think is fraudulent misrepresentation but that's another issue.

When I found out about the unprotected deposit I wrote to him demanding the money back, and I said I would be willing to agree to an early departure date (as the prolonged repair work in the flat was making my life hell) without seeking legal action if the deposit was returned within two days. The landlord replied and said that he would return my deposit and would agree to a date that I propose. Since then, he has returned my deposit but did not agree to the leaving date I proposed.

My question is, can I still claim 1-3x of the deposit amount and interest if the deposit has been returned? I only realised what he had done (the lies about the deposit protection scheme) after the deposit was returned. I feel that it's a malicious act since he never intended to protect my deposit and used this to induce me into a contract - and he should be punished for that. He is claiming that we have settled this matter. But have we?

Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Thank you!

Judging by the number of almost identical threads you started, you have some major issues which are nothing to do with landlord. Move out, move on. Seek some medical help.

Judging by the number of almost identical threads you started, you have some major issues which are nothing to do with landlord. Move out, move on. Seek some medical help.

Wow isn't it a bit insensitive for you to make a judgement like that?

The threads are almost identical because they're related to the same landlord and the same flat. The reason for all these questions are because the landlord has violated a few laws and they're separate issues. Of course I know I should just move on, but at the same time I feel that I'm entitled to be compensated for what the landlord has put me through. It's fine if you're unwilling to offer any help, but passing a judgement like someone has major issues and needs medical help seems unnecessary.

I would say; you got your despoit back, which is more than most people get, move on and forget about it. No need to be greedly.

Thanks for your opinion. However I'm not being greedy. The landlord has put me through over a month of prolonged repair work and I have suffered from no heating or hot water in peak winter as a result. I have also had to leave the flat and am practically homeless (staying with a friend until I find a new place) due to the stress and the fact that the plumber sent by the landlord kept entering the property without giving notice. I really just want some justice here.

Thanks for your opinion. However I'm not being greedy. The landlord has put me through over a month of prolonged repair work and I have suffered from no heating or hot water in peak winter as a result. I have also had to leave the flat and am practically homeless (staying with a friend until I find a new place) due to the stress and the fact that the plumber sent by the landlord kept entering the property without giving notice. I really just want some justice here.

Fair enough, I wasn't following and there sounds like there may be quite a bit more to this case than just the despoit dispute. Follow satch's advice and get some legal advice. My gut feeling is, as you have already moved and had the despoit returned, they will agree that the matter is settled but the plumber entering without notice is a defo a no no (it couldn't all be emergency work, could it?). Find out where you stand and keep us all informed on what happens. I'm certainly very interested how this plays out.