House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pl1

Where The Hell Are These 20% Off "starter Homes"?

Launched, what nearly two years ago? in a blaze of pre-election publicity; "they won't be rabbit hutches, they won't be available for BTL landlords, only for British people, oh but you have to be under 40". There's been scant concrete information on when EXACTLY they would be available. How many people so far have cruised through the 40 threshold? No I'm not holding out for one, but it's just another sham example of "all talk no action" Cameron.

http://www.new-homes.co.uk/starter-homes-qa/

You get the 20% off that has already been added on to the initial price.

Therefore they can give you the 20% discount on already insane prices.

Supermarkets do this all the time to give the impression of a "bargain".

Only difference being you're not spending £2 on potatoes you're spending £200k and your entire life!

Majority of people I talk to think the discount on the house is a great deal, but I doubt they have much brains......

BF

You get the 20% off that has already been added on to the initial price.

Therefore they can give you the 20% discount on already insane prices.

Supermarkets do this all the time to give the impression of a "bargain".

Only difference being you're not spending £2 on potatoes you're spending £200k and your entire life!

Majority of people I talk to think the discount on the house is a great deal, but I doubt they have much brains......

BF

This is absolutely right.

They should offer 20% off audited prices that non-20% off people have actually paid. Then the 20% might make some sense. Without this it is just talk.

[i still wouldn't think it is a good approach, but it would at least mean something]

The legislation for starter homes is still grinding its way through Parliament. I'm sure it'll pass eventually, it's basically the only idea the Tories have for how to get younger people into homeownership.

I expect they need to put the legislation through.

This 20 per cent discount is 'funded' by letting developers off paying local planning levies - CIL and section 106 - to local councils. The government is basically dumping the cost of the supposed discount on local councils.

These planning levies fund local services like new schools, roads, and other infrastructure. So effectively the costs of these will get dumped on local council taxpayers - while a lucky few get gifted 'free money' off the rest of us to buy a home.

Imagine any other industry where you would be let off paying your taxes if you agreed to offer a 20 per cent discount on your products to under 40s. Only in housing.