House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Viola Beach

The article says the Nissan pulled up and stopped behind the queue of cars then suddenly took off down the side of the queue accelerating to 55mph.

'It looks like the driver acted deliberately,' Swedish Police's Lars Berglund, who is heading the investigation, told Aftonbladet.

The CCTV footage from the incident has now been reconstructed by Aftonbladet, showing the driver of Viola Beach's stopping behind a private car and a taxi, next to two lorries, behind the barriers.

Seconds later, the Black Nissan Qashqai drives up on the shoulder, accelerates to around 55mph speeds past the cars and lorries, crashing through the middle of the first barrier, and then the second.

Conspiracy theories are usually rubbish.

Let's just imagine that the lizard overlords had desired these guys dead. If you're going to off someone, then you need certainty. Let's also imagine that you had some level of mind control over the driver - it wasn't some random taxi driver it was the bands manager. Do you a) get the car to veer off the road at high speed into a tree or 2) take a chance on the fact that the bridge might just be open at the moment when you arrive. I'd take option 1. Actually, if I wanted them dead, I make damn sure they were coked up to the eyeballs by the time the autopsy was done.

No - when you look at the pictures of the bridge from the drivers level, there is a rise, so you can't see what is happening. A tired group of youngsters pulls up at the back of the queue at 2AM. WTF is happening at 2AM? Stupid bridge, it isn't open, floor it. By the time they went through the barriers there probably wasn't time to stop - and anyway, it is a totally unfamiliar design, so they probably didn't even know what they were seeing.

Conspiracy theories are usually rubbish.

Let's just imagine that the lizard overlords had desired these guys dead. If you're going to off someone, then you need certainty. Let's also imagine that you had some level of mind control over the driver - it wasn't some random taxi driver it was the bands manager. Do you a) get the car to veer off the road at high speed into a tree or 2) take a chance on the fact that the bridge might just be open at the moment when you arrive. I'd take option 1. Actually, if I wanted them dead, I make damn sure they were coked up to the eyeballs by the time the autopsy was done.

No - when you look at the pictures of the bridge from the drivers level, there is a rise, so you can't see what is happening. A tired group of youngsters pulls up at the back of the queue at 2AM. WTF is happening at 2AM? Stupid bridge, it isn't open, floor it. By the time they went through the barriers there probably wasn't time to stop - and anyway, it is a totally unfamiliar design, so they probably didn't even know what they were seeing.

the irony being that Warrington, where the band come from, has 3 canal bridges on major A-roads.

Admittedly they are swing bridges so it's a different design.

Yup - swing bridge you can take a chance with. As long as you have a section of roadway still usable, you'll be OK getting on, but have to wait to get off. With a vertical lift bridge, if it is more than 3 inches up, you're going to crash. Its quite possible that the driver thought it was a swing bridge (i.e. the perspective of the bridge still looks right, thought the box sections above the road were part of the bridge, not the roadway), and drive straight into the gap, assuming it would all be OK.

Heading to the airport at 2am 13th feb (the following day is Valentines day)

Flight to catch, hit a queue of traffic,

driver mounts kerb and squeezes down the side of the queue scraping the side of a taxi waiting at the front,

Brand new on hire Nissan Qashqai is now damaged, there will be a further delay to swap details (named driver driving) and a further delay at the airport hire desk for paper work.............

Heading to the airport at 2am 13th feb (the following day is Valentines day)

Flight to catch, hit a queue of traffic,

driver mounts kerb and squeezes down the side of the queue scraping the side of a taxi waiting at the front,

Brand new on hire Nissan Qashqai is now damaged, there will be a further delay to swap details (named driver driving) and a further delay at the airport hire desk for paper work.............

The first flight at the airport was over 5 hours in the future, let alone the presumed flight they wanted. The airport is less than an hour away.

It just looks like a terrible accident fuelled by some emotional trigger - excitement, rage, risk, whatever. I can only hope that the occupants were asleep or laughing at the crazy antics of the driver, rather than terrified by the driver going into a rage.

To be honest I don't think many really suicidal people would want to take their friends with them.

Just sounds like an accident really, must admit I have done one or two stupid things in a car when trapped in a previously unknown situation (these days I mainly take the train!!).

Ive been in a band bus making a dash through France for a ferry. Our guy drove like a crazed banshee. We didnt make it.

This scenario is easy to envisage for me.

I doubt there's anything more to it than a deadline.

Tragic.

To be honest I don't think many really suicidal people would want to take their friends with them.

Just sounds like an accident really, must admit I have done one or two stupid things in a car when trapped in a previously unknown situation (these days I mainly take the train!!).

Aircrash...Alps...suicidal Pilot on antidepressants..

How often do up and coming Bands change management?

I wondered that... band drops it on the Manager (driver) that they are parting company just before getting in car.

Subsequent discussions get very heated...

The have blood-tested the vehicle occupants, I presume?

Toxicology on the driver showed no alcohol or drugs.

Not sure about the passengers.

Conflicting reports as to weather the Police have said who was driving with some saying this information is being witheld and another report citing the Manager as being at the wheel.

Conflicting reports as to weather the Police have said who was driving with some saying this information is being witheld and another report citing the Manager as being at the wheel.

Surely passengers can be as drunk as they want. I'm not ruling out alien intervention to take our minds from the reptilian Trump.

Surely passengers can be as drunk as they want. I'm not ruling out alien intervention to take our minds from the reptilian Trump.

Yes quite right in fact the final pictures from the bands dressing room on the night showed the 4 bandmembers with glasses of beer in their hands:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/final-pictures-viola-beach-pal-7368191

I think it`s an assumption too far to say it was deliberate

Looks like they were sat in traffic,only to see an empty lane ,they moved into it probably/possibly unaware of the bridge being a swing bridge type,the driver don't see the first barrier (its dark and as far as the driver is concerned he`s in the outside lane of a normal dual carriageway),hits first barrier which incapacitates the driver the rest is known

Looks like they were sat in traffic,only to see an empty lane ,they moved into it probably/possibly unaware of the bridge being a swing bridge type,the driver don't see the first barrier (its dark and as far as the driver is concerned he`s in the outside lane of a normal dual carriageway),hits first barrier which incapacitates the driver the rest is known

There wasn't an empty lane - in fact it's hard to see how there was enough room to get past. There is alot of illumination at the barrier, and the barrier itself has lights on it. There is only a couple of car lengths before he'd have hit the barrier, so he shouldn't have been going that fast at that impact. While the barrier looks substantial these types of barrier are designed to deform rather than stop the car, so the driver shouldn't have been incapacitated. There is about 100m between that barrier and the next barrier (two barriers before the bridge), so plenty of time to stop. It doesn't make any sense.

they were all pretty young (under 20) apart from the manager who was in his 30s. You would have thought the manager was the most likely to be driving, as many of the band members may not have even had driving licences.

Though as to my earlier comment about it post likely being a tragic accident which the newspapers want to make more of a story of, we probably shouldn't be speculating.

My pet theory was unfamiliarity with the hire car and using the cruise control and inexperience not knowing how to turn it off... Of course that faded once it became known the car stopped and took off again.

Reading between the lines of the report it seemed to suggest that they were all dead when the car hit the water. I get the impression that as the car left the roadway it struck the raised part of the bridge which neatly sliced off the roof of the car and their heads with it.

Used to many similiar type accidents on UK motorways where fast moving cars would run up the back of artic trailers, a while back they never had under run bars and the first contact was the windscreen on the load platform. No prizes for guessing what second contact was. This led to the law being tightened and under-run protection bars being introduced...

The pictures of the motor when they pulled it of the drink showed lots of damage to the roof of the motor..... Swedish police must have known something was wrong early on as they are still refusing to name who exactly was driving. Fair to assume it was the manager being the oldest and probably charged with arranging the admin but not a certainty by long chalk....

Clearly with the evidence now as we see it, it looks like a deliberate act whoever was at the wheel.....

Guest eight

Am I missing something here - are people actually speculating that this might have been some kind of ultra hardcore publicity stunt?