HOLA441
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/push-for-visafree-migration-bloc-in-australia-uk-canada-and-new-zealand/news-story/c854fd6012d1245512f76cf39955b0cf

Dear god that'd be approximately a billion times more desirable than membership of the EU. And it's there to be had if we just voted for it.

If the vote is for out I can see the UK signing that in a heartbeat...

They all speak English as a native language....

Not subject to archaic non discrimination rules overseen by the ECJ either..

HOLA445

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/push-for-visafree-migration-bloc-in-australia-uk-canada-and-new-zealand/news-story/c854fd6012d1245512f76cf39955b0cf

Dear god that'd be approximately a billion times more desirable than membership of the EU. And it's there to be had if we just voted for it.

Now that`s another great reason to leave the EU

HOLA446
HOLA447

This isn't about left or right, this is about right or wrong. What are your reasons for voting against common sense?

Common sense? In my experience "common sense" is usually stuff that is obvious in the short term but does not take account of the long term consequences. The UK has suffered from too much common sense and not enough long term thinking for far too long. Most who are in favour of Brexit look at the short term perceived benefits of stuff such as saving "x" without looking at how those savings will be eroded over the longer term ( imo the shorter term). Common sense is the preserve of the lazy thinking, the quick win brigade and those with little imagination or vision for the long term.

HOLA448

Can you give me a few examples that demonstrate your point(s)?

Common sense? In my experience "common sense" is usually stuff that is obvious in the short term but does not take account of the long term consequences. The UK has suffered from too much common sense and not enough long term thinking for far too long. Most who are in favour of Brexit look at the short term perceived benefits of stuff such as saving "x" without looking at how those savings will be eroded over the longer term ( imo the shorter term). Common sense is the preserve of the lazy thinking, the quick win brigade and those with little imagination or vision for the long term.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

In the long term. we already have fascists getting a quarter of the vote in EU nations and horrendously high youth unemployment across much of the EU.

I'd GTFO to avoid what's coming in the long term...

That is more than a little worrying ,i suspect that figure will rise when France and some of the former eastern block go to the polls,interesting times ahead for sure

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Apologies, I haven't read all of his poll so the point may have been made already. I looked at the bookmakers odds on this and they are saying 1/2 that we will stay in 15/8 to leave.

I talk to a lot of people day to day and often broach the subject and it seems to me that the consensus is people are voting to leave.

My question is are the bookies better informed?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

In the long term. we already have fascists getting a quarter of the vote in EU nations and horrendously high youth unemployment across much of the EU.

I'd GTFO to avoid what's coming in the long term...

Interesting then that in countries such as Spain and Greece where youth unemployment is highest that young people are turning towards left leaning politics and away from fascism.

HOLA4416

Can you give me a few examples that demonstrate your point(s)?

It made sense for the miners to strike for higher wages in the 1970's , it gave the miners more in their pockets

It made sense to sell off electricity, gas and water utilities in the 1980's, it created a shareholding democracy

It made sense to sell off council housing and replace it with BTL, it expanded home ownership

It made sense to allow 120% ltv mortgages on properties that only ever rise in value

At any point in time, what looks obvious at the time sometimes isn't obvious.

HOLA4417

Thanks for the examples, but IMO none of those examples made sense. The long term consequences were obvious to those that chose to look for them.

I would turn your statement on it's head and say common sense suggests too many uncertainties hints that staying in the EU makes more sense, especially considering the state of the world in terms of geopolitics and general stability. I'd also suggest this is a short term view because they're scared of the dark and what might be lurking, mainly based on ignorance. My long term view is staying put is more dangerous than taking stock of ourselves and being brave enough to go it alone and having the confidence to do so.

The Britain Empire defined the modern world, English is the defacto second language of the world and whilst we did it by force, we can take credit for civilising 1/5 of the world. I think Britain needs to show some backbone.

It made sense for the miners to strike for higher wages in the 1970's , it gave the miners more in their pockets

It made sense to sell off electricity, gas and water utilities in the 1980's, it created a shareholding democracy

It made sense to sell off council housing and replace it with BTL, it expanded home ownership

It made sense to allow 120% ltv mortgages on properties that only ever rise in value

HOLA4418

Hindsight is wonderful and post-event rationalisation isn't helpful here.

Sovereignty, accountability, bureaucracy and immigration are long-term issues in the EU debate and a decision needs to be made for June 23rd.

I want to make an informed decision and am grateful for the posters on both sides - even though yours is a lonely voice on here. :)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

It's a good speech, but hardly "Hungary on a war footing".

This is how things used to be. Since the 1970's and stretching back to the beginning of time countries have had borders and control over who/what came over them.

It's hardly some radical right wing ideology is it.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Britain could BENEFIT by leaving the EU, says Barclays: Bank believes worst effects of a Brexit would be felt in Europe

The report by Barclays experts added that Britain could become a safe haven from a disintegrating Europe, giving investors shelter from problems with the euro.

‘If politics in the EU turned for the worse, the UK may be seen as a safe haven from those risks,’ it said. But the bank also warned that if the referendum favours exit, it could lead to the collapse of the EU itself.

Analyst Philippe Gudin said: ‘The referendum is generally seen as a UK issue when it is better seen as a European issue.’

He warned that the political and institutional aftershocks of a ‘leave’ vote were far greater than the economic fears.

Mr Gudin added that if Britain voted to quit, it would encourage other EU member states to think about leaving amid the migration crisis.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3421977/Britain-BENEFIT-leaving-EU-says-Barclays-Bank-believes-worst-effects-Brexit-felt-Europe.html

HOLA4424
HOLA4425