House Price Crash Forum
repetitive bleats

63 Year Old Tory Mp Uses Help To Buy

63-year-old Peter Bone , who earns £74,000 as an MP, and his wife who he pays a £45,000 taxpayer-funded salary to be his executive secretary, used it to borrow £35,000 towards the cost of their brand new £175,000 constituency home.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/03/tory-mp-peter-bone-lives-in-help-to-buy-property/

Edited by repetitive bleats

But..... he's a Tory. They believe in the free market, no state intervention or assistance. That personal financial success is the product if hard work, dedication and drive. Using artificial help like HTB goes against capitalism. Must be a closet Labour-Libdem sympathiser.

Edited by sPinwheel

Another real life success story of Help to Buy. Hardworking families getting on the ladder and getting ahead thanks to Dave and George. Marvellous!

A qualifying FTB is normally anyone who hasn't had mortgage for 6 months... Gov't propaganda.

Or

Pulse? Check! = FTB

Who's checking or likely to do much about it anyway? :unsure:

Wow, well spotted, if this is true it should be a scandal. "The Prime Minister is absolutely right, we need to get people to be able to buy their own houses, we need to get the housing market going and unfortunately the media tends to be London-centric, sees these booming housing prices in London which is not reflected in Wellingborough, my goodness me, you would be amazed what you could buy for in Wellingborough but people are struggling to get the deposit. This is an excellent scheme, the Prime Minister is absolutely right and I know probably Labour and Liberals are against it which proves it’s right." https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/media-packs/2013/murnaghan-29.09.13-interview-with-peter-bone-mp-and-jennie-bone

Scheme indeed! Or are we all by this point too outrage-fatigued to get, you know, outraged? Will be interesting to see whether it shows up in the MSM in next day or so. It can't be true, can it? Tsk.

Reminds me of John Gummer giving his daughter a burger. But the problem with HTB isn't who can use it. Rather it's that it's objective is to push up prices and keep them high - and it's done so fantastically. It's a war on the young and poor. Many people know this, but not enough. We need as many people as possible to say no to HTB. Don't use HTB and get rid of all politicians who support it and similar ramping policies.

But..... he's a Tory. They believe in the free market, no state intervention or assistance. That personal financial success is the product if hard work, dedication and drive. Using artificial help like HTB goes against capitalism. Must be a closet Labour-Libdem sympathiser.

I think you missed Rule 1. They also believe if it is not breaking the rules then it's okay.

I wonder if the FTB definition for HTB differs from the SDLT criteria relating to the 3% hike? So let's be fair perhaps he needed to dive in now to avoid the extra stamp duty due to a nice little place he has in Spain.*

*speculation on my part.

In any event we should never judge...it's great to see these kids getting a foot on the ladder.

Edited by Phil321

Peter Bone is a prominent Eurosceptic and was tipped to join UKIP a couple of years ago. It must be a conspiracy by the Remain camp.

Or maybe hes just a tnuc.

Of course this could be a really clever reverse psychology ploy. "That flipping MP taking advantage....I am going to show them and get one of those HTB loans too."

Nope, I don't think so either.

It does not look good. However the main problem with help to buy, is that doesn't. If all buyers get more credit and supply does not increase then prices will go up. Talking about UKIP/Eurosceptic whatever in this instance as it distracts from the fact that help to buy is a bad idea. Sadly someone people love the EU more than they want affordable housing

It does not look good. However the main problem with help to buy, is that doesn't. If all buyers get more credit and supply does not increase then prices will go up. Talking about UKIP/Eurosceptic whatever in this instance as it distracts from the fact that help to buy is a bad idea. Sadly someone people love the EU more than they want affordable housing

We currently already have the most unaffordable housing in Europe by some distance. Are you really sure that stopping Europe from meddling in the affairs of our financial industry will put that right?

And let's be fair - if this guy had done anything half useful, the vocal UKIP contingent would be happily claiming him in every other post.

Edited by repetitive bleats

We currently already have the most unaffordable housing in Europe by some distance. Are you really sure that stopping Europe from meddling in the affairs of our financial industry will put that right?

Did you not see this bit of my post

However the main problem with help to buy, is that doesn't. If all buyers get more credit and supply does not increase then prices will go up.Talking about UKIP/Eurosceptic whatever in this instance as it distracts from the fact that help to buy is a bad idea.

Personally I think the solution is to build more homes and not pay people who don't work to live in areas of high demand. Although the real cause of the problem is that the majority of people think increasing house prices is a good thing, we will not have a fix to the problem until the majority think it is a bad thing.

However I think the message should be "HTB is bad" rather than using this to attack people you don't like.