House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

The Hpc Guitar Practice Thread

Right let's move things in a more positive direction for a change; for those of you who have guitars anyway.

I thought it might be good to have a topic for the guitar players to exchange tips with regards to what we're practicing and any good learning resources (books or online).

I've got a telecaster, an acoustic, and a couple of Jazz basses (one fretted (gorgeous Japanese 70's re-issue, one fretless bass (tokai Jaco Pastorious clone)).

I know all the basic open position chords and bar chords, including 7th chords and all that malarky. Currently working my way through the book '501 guitar chords' to see what other interesting chord voicings my hands can handle:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/501-Guitar-Chords-Illustrated-Classical/dp/1845431111/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457457343&sr=8-1&keywords=501+guitar+chords

I'm concentrating on trying to get those 3 and 4 string chords that you hear on Motown and funk records down (I believe the term is 'comping').

Tonight I'd like to practice solo-ing a bit on my fretless bass; I've got the full version of Band in a Box so can set up any chord progression in basically any style of music and have it play in the background to practice over; however I know pretty much naff all about how to practice solo-ing (it will never be my main focus, I'd rather get good at rhythm guitar); does it matter what sort of progression I set up to start solo-ing over? Am I best starting off with something as simple as a blues progression?

I'm sure there's plenty of players here, most more advanced than me, so what sort of stuff are you playing? Any lessons or books that you'd recommend?

When I started I was obsessed with this simple practice:

Start on bottom E first fret with your 1st finger

Then 2nd fret with 2nd finger and so on until 4th fret with your pinky.

Repeat on the next string and so on all the way to top E string.

Repeat

Repeat

Once you've done that a few thousand times start working your way up the fretboard until you've hit every possible note.

Hardens up your fingers and will make you more precise over time. I still do it now before I start playing.

The marvellous source of information today is the internet. And the books aren't expensive, and often come with a CD, so you can hear what it should sound like after you have got it wrong.

Scales, techniques. theory and all that malarkey just turns me off an instrument. It stopped me learning for years. One day i bought a cheap guitar and just learnt some songs.

It's how I learn. I find a song just out of my skill ability, that I like, and learn it. Then move to another one. Cant put my guitar down now, I cant wait to get home to play it.

Scales, techniques. theory and all that malarkey just turns me off an instrument. It stopped me learning for years. One day i bought a cheap guitar and just learnt some songs.

It's how I learn. I find a song just out of my skill ability, that I like, and learn it. Then move to another one. Cant put my guitar down now, I cant wait to get home to play it.

I think once you know some basic chords, you can bang out a good choon. If you can song along, that's great. Try a few popular songs. Everyone knows them. I don't like dominant 7th chords. :wacko:

The marvellous source of information today is the internet. And the books aren't expensive, and often come with a CD, so you can hear what it should sound like after you have got it wrong.

The speed thing can be quite soul destroying, when doing stuff on the Total Guitar CDs!

For books Mick Goodrick's book The Advancing Guitarist is good for intermediate players who are looking for ideas on how to progress, but it's no good for beginners.

Im not a huge Dire Straits fan but one day i got on to youtube to learn Romeo and Juliet just to impress the old man more than anything. Its tuned in open C or G cant remember now.

Anyway, the point being that a capo is also used on the 3rd fret. I've got 3 or 4 new original songs out of just trying a new tuning.

I've been playing 35 years and hit a plateau years ago. Though ive never wanted to be a Van Halen or a shredder. Just good enough to play and record my tunes.

New tunings breath fresh life in to tired ears.

Experiment with the basic chord shapes you know by lifting fingers off various strings so that they are played open.

e.g. sixth string root barre chord shapes with the 1st and 2nd strings played open - slide that shape up and down the neck for some interesting sounds, swopping between major and minor chords. Also try with 5th string root barre chords, 1st string open or 1st and 3rd open.

e,g.

9 9

7 7

10 0 10

Scales wise i'm stuck in a rut playing minor pentatonic/blues scale/major pentatonic - I need to learn something else!