House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stuckin2up2down

What Is The Point Of Contribution-Based And Income-Based Jsa?

The amount is exactly the same, the signings are the same however you don't get things like free prescriptions if you are on contributions.

Were they always like this?

In an ideal world I'd think contributions based would be on an amount relevant to what you used to earn and you wouldn't have to go all the way in each week just to get a box ticked.

Contribution based isn't means tested. So you can still get it if for example you have lots of savings or a wife who works. I think it only last 6 months though.

Contribution based isn't means tested. So you can still get it if for example you have lots of savings or a wife who works. I think it only last 6 months though.

That was certainly the case the last time I claimed it; fortunately I didn't need the full six months.

You need the NI contribution record for the last two years though so I was turned down when I tried to get it after a two year degree as a mature student.

Mrs JTB suggested I sign on as a doley seeing as I've paid 100's of thousands of tax over the years. On the one hand, it goes against my principles. OTOH, I've always told other people to take any free money the state is stupid enough to dish out (bankrupt the system!).

A brief look at the web sites suggest it really isn't worth the candle for those not in dire need. I'd get contribution based JSA for 6 months (so a total of under £1300). Even if I didn't have to become a JobCentre online slave 35 hours a week, it's not much of a return on my taxes.

As you can imagine, the idea was dropped pdq.

Mrs JTB suggested I sign on as a doley seeing as I've paid 100's of thousands of tax over the years. On the one hand, it goes against my principles. OTOH, I've always told other people to take any free money the state is stupid enough to dish out (bankrupt the system!).

A brief look at the web sites suggest it really isn't worth the candle for those not in dire need. I'd get contribution based JSA for 6 months (so a total of under £1300). Even if I didn't have to become a JobCentre online slave 35 hours a week, it's not much of a return on my taxes.

It often isn't worth the bother.

Its 73 a week, I would have to pay higher rate tax on that and every single week have to go into the office.

At the moment its not worth it for me. I may in the next tax year when the figures make more sense.

I just think it should be less hassel if your contributions based.

You have to jump through a lot of hoops at the job centre. It's very frustrating. It was not always thus. :huh: