House Price Crash Forum
campervanman

Why The Tory Project Is Bust

The writer of the guardian article makes a big thing about the 1970s, Heath, Wilson, the unions, who rules Britain and the general chaos of the time etc etc but one very important thing he seems to fail to mention is the massive increase in the oil price and the emergence of Opec in the early 70s lasting for years.

Of course people in those days knew that the oil price was having a massive effect on prices, wages, price increases across the board and competitiveness etc but the blame for much of the chaos was put at the unions and Labour's door at the time and voters seemed to accept that. For sure Labour and the unions deserved their share of the blame as did the tories deserve their share (all a self serving bunch incapable of running the general economy and helping workers) but why omit one of the main influences during that period of time - the global oil price.

Edited by billybong

The UK has pretty much followed the 1980's Tory model for the past 35 years centred around deregulation and selling off British industry and infrastructure. The proof that none of this has worked is that the UK now has to rely on countries that didn't follow the same economic model to run the trains, build the cars and keep the lights on. Surely if it was such a success the UK would be so awash with money that the situation would be reversed.

The writer of the guardian article makes a big thing about the 1970s, Heath, Wilson, the unions, who rules Britain and the general chaos of the time etc etc but one very important thing he seems to fail to mention is the massive increase in the oil price and the emergence of Opec in the early 70s lasting for years.

Of course people in those days knew that the oil price was having a massive effect on prices, wages, price increases across the board and competitiveness etc but the blame for much of the chaos was put at the unions and Labour's door at the time and voters seemed to accept that. For sure Labour and the unions deserved their share of the blame as did the tories deserve their share (all a self serving bunch incapable of running the general economy and helping workers) but why omit one of the main influences during that period of time - the global oil price.

They need to rewrite history to justify what they've done to this country (and now most of the rest of the West has followed) over the past 30 years. But every retrospective of the 1970s I've seen shows it be a very happy time in spite of the economic turmoil and labour relation problems. That is also my memory and that of everyone I talk with who lived through that decade.

They need to rewrite history to justify what they've done to this country (and now most of the rest of the West has followed) over the past 30 years. But every retrospective of the 1970s I've seen shows it be a very happy time in spite of the economic turmoil and labour relation problems. That is also my memory and that of everyone I talk with who lived through that decade.

My old man, who is 90 this year ,said the 70s were absolute shit - much talk of the dead not being buried. Heh.

He did say the 50s were at least as bad though...

The UK has pretty much followed the 1980's Tory model for the past 35 years centred around deregulation and selling off British industry and infrastructure. The proof that none of this has worked is that the UK now has to rely on countries that didn't follow the same economic model to run the trains, build the cars and keep the lights on. Surely if it was such a success the UK would be so awash with money that the situation would be reversed.

Building trains, at least it is a joint deal with Hitachi and jobs in the NE:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31831603

Presumably, we don't have the knowhow and/or the money to build our own?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/11941766/China-to-own-a-third-of-Hinkley-Point-nuclear-power-station.html

Top 300 UK Manufacturing companies (2014)

https://targetjobs.co.uk/uk300/engineering-design-and-manufacturing

What would the UK manufacturing landscape look like if the Tory party ( and nuLab before) pumped money into it instead of the banking sector?

Was a bit overdone but some points of interest in there.

I've been bemused by the 'protect the countryside, pensioners and whites' wing vs the 'rip up the countryside, survival of the fittest, globalise' wing for a while but hadn't linked it back to the wets vs drys.

Housing is what unraveled it all for me. As far as politics is concerned years of Tory supporters on this site attacking New Labour ultimately massively backfired. And I think the Conservative party itself was caught out the wrong side of the argument in 2007 and without the time for a rethink before being elected have been stuck in a bizarre unworkable time warp.

Unworkable but electable - for that I don't blame the politicians. We all need to wise up, Left and Right (if either are relevant anymore). Keeps you focused this housing problem - the more flamboyant parts of Hares rhetoric do little for me, but hey he's trying.

In the article there are plenty of references to public sector jobs but nothing about manufacturing or making stuff.

He mentions "traders" that he thinks would benefit the UK economy being prevented from arriving - people from "Aleppo or from Tripoli" being what he calls the traders. Well ok but if that's the case doesn't the UK have plenty of "traders" already - nearly 10 million more of them have arrived from overseas since year 2000 (ONS statistics) and not everyone of them can be a trader.

Just to repeat apparently nothing about manufacturing, traders yes but making stuff no.

Edited by billybong