House Price Crash Forum

Wheat /dairy/allergen Free Diets - Anyone Tried To?

SNACR

HOLA441

Have been trying to cut out wheat and dairy but have fallen off the wagon after 3 days. Largely due to poor choice of options at a hotel breakfast.

Anyone managed this without bland meals at home and being the most unpopular guest when out anywhere?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

You could have had cornflakes or rice crispies with orange juice instead of milk. Or porridge made with water.

To be honest, unless you actually have the food allergies I can't see that it's worth the bother of fully cutting stuff out, Just cut things you don't want to eat down as much as you can, and grin and bear it when circumstances force your hand.

BTW I used to regularly eat fried gluten and it's lovely. Any benefit you get from that diet will probabky be down to something like methionine restriction.

http://www.benbest.com/calories/Meth.html

HOLA443

I did the Gluten free diet thing a few years ago, i'm not coeliac just thought i might lose weight if i cut out gluten, didn't really work that way and some of the special foods are full of sugars.

FreeFrom is the main brand of gluten free foods you will find an aisle section in most supermarkets, the bread & rolls are bareable but not great, it's also very expensive so expensive infact that you can get financial help to buy it if you are coeliac and on benefits, i have also heard of these foods being given on prescription.

You will find a gluten free version of anything you want just depends if you want to pay the premium.

HOLA444

I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years.

At first you look at it a little negatively looking at all the things on the menu you might have had.

Later, your eyes only rest on the options with a V next to them and it's like all the other things don't even exist.

HOLA445

Trying to cut everything out at the same time is difficult. Try gluten/wheat to begin with and then see how it goes.

It takes up to 3 months for all gluten to be removed from your body. You probably will get sugar cravings within a day or two of giving up gluten but it passes in about a week. You may also find that you body begins to expel loads of, um, cr*p that has been lining the inside of your guts.

Basically the paelo diet is good if you give up wheat. You will miss the texture thought - that crunch of toast or a crusty roll. I recently discovered buckwheat - Go Nature I think - which is pricey but nice in a bowl of milk.

M&S gluten free food is very good but you will need to take up robbing banks to buy it. Or hang around their foodhalls after 4 when dated stuff is reduced. I can recommend their bloomer sliced loaf but it is a rip-off price. Their gluten free chicken burgers are delicious though.

HOLA446

I have cut down in gluten and dairy for about 4-5 years now. 50%+ less than I used to consume. Barely miss bread, pasta or milk etc.. much at all.

I still like a bit of chocolate , cakes and similar on a regular basis. Would be very difficult to cut out fully. It's literally everywhere.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Basically, my eczema has been flaring up worse and I'm pretty convinced it's diet related. Rather than spend the time getting an allergy test I sort of decided improving my diet would be worthwhile, in any case.

I had noticed previously that I always felt a lot better with fairly simply meals of unadulterated meat and veg so I am sort of guessing it's wheat/dairy in sauces/coatings that are generally bad news or also possibly processed meats. I do also drink a lot of coffee and probably have too much cakes and biscuits so could also be that I need to cut back on caffeine and refined sugars.

In an ideal world, if it was wheat, I think it's doable to cut that out, but dairy would be very difficult and seems a lot more worrying that you may struggle to replace some of its better elements nutritionally.

HOLA4412

I had an allergy test. To get this I emailed my doctor explaining the symptoms and my allergy history. I was then given a referral and that allowed me to book an appointment. Two weeks later I went to the hospital and had the test. Barely an hour of my time and I then had complete certainty. So I reckon it's worth pursuing.

HOLA4413

Basically, my eczema has been flaring up worse and I'm pretty convinced it's diet related. Rather than spend the time getting an allergy test I sort of decided improving my diet would be worthwhile, in any case.

I had noticed previously that I always felt a lot better with fairly simply meals of unadulterated meat and veg so I am sort of guessing it's wheat/dairy in sauces/coatings that are generally bad news or also possibly processed meats. I do also drink a lot of coffee and probably have too much cakes and biscuits so could also be that I need to cut back on caffeine and refined sugars.

In an ideal world, if it was wheat, I think it's doable to cut that out, but dairy would be very difficult and seems a lot more worrying that you may struggle to replace some of its better elements nutritionally.

Is it eczema or is it dermatitis herpetiformis? Have a google.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gluten+dermatitis+herpetiformis+pictures&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=3CXeVtDOBMqn6AS91rGoBw

Edit:

This is caused by gluten. Coeliacs suffer from it. It goes when you give up wheat.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

If you can find episode 5 of this the results were staggering.

Young bloke - horrendous eczema - ruining his life. Cut out (I think) mainly wheat and dairy.

Interestingly - first video diary after 4 weeks - no change. He was thinking of giving up. Then he returns to the docs after 6 weeks - 95% of it has disappeared. Expected the remnants to go within a few more weeks. Was pretty amazing to see.

Of course everyone is different but for this bloke it completely cured him in just 6 weeks.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-food-hospital/episode-guide/series-1/

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

If I were you I'd try cutting out dairy first. I don't think carbs are the enemy as long as they are minimally processed; for example I mainly eat plain oats, red rice, and sweet potatoes as my 'starchy' carb sources these days.

Start by removing all processed foods and dairy - eat only vegetables, fruits, nuts, and minimally processed meat. Try and stick to it for say 2 months and see what happens.

HOLA4418

I figure all this cutting out malarkey would mean giving up the sauce, so afraid not. I do try and go weeks/fortnights without eating wheat though, and would say I (minimally) fail most times (probably due to liking cooking too much!)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I switched to Lactose free milk. I was getting a lot of fungal infections and all the time there was horrid sticky gunge on my tongue. I read a couple of articles saying it could be mild lactose intolerance. The theory being that undigested lactose (a sugar) passes into the large bowel where fungi (especially yeasts) eat it and multiply massively and then spread through the body.

Anyway, within a couple of days the gunge on my tongue had disappeared and I've not had any more infections.

I still eat lots of cheese and butter because these contain very little lactose compared with milk. Also I eat cream occasionally.

Lactofree "milk" tastes slighlty weird at first. It's a tiny bit sickly sweet (the lactose has been converted to a different sugar called galactose which tastes different). And it seems to be more heavily pasteurised as it tastes a tiny bit burnt like UHT but nowhere near as bad (which is probably why it has a very long best before date). But within a day or so I was used to it.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Barley contains gluten I guess. But I think the levels of gluten in beer are so low you'd need to have a serious intolerance for it to be a problem.

Yep - nearly every lager can officially be described as gluten free as the levels are so low. Not so sure about wheat beers or the heavier Ales. They may be different.

I found a site where some German bloke tests them on your behalf if you send him a few bottles. Looking through his results shows that only a very small number of beers have anything more than a trace of gluten.

So get on it Bendy ! And everyone else.

HOLA4424

Yep - nearly every lager can officially be described as gluten free as the levels are so low. Not so sure about wheat beers or the heavier Ales. They may be different.

I found a site where some German bloke tests them on your behalf if you send him a few bottles. Looking through his results shows that only a very small number of beers have anything more than a trace of gluten.

So get on it Bendy ! And everyone else.

I had some wheat/dairy free rolls from the Freefrom range the other week - 2 quid for 4! I need to see if I can make these myself, sure I can get them to half the price.

Not sure if foregoing certain food groups would do anything for me though, I don't appear to have any obvious allergies and the training plan is still heavy maintenance!

HOLA4425

Try just giving bread up for a month or so ? After the first week or so I really didnt miss it at all. I see it now and I am not usually remotely interested. Others may be different but worth giving it a go. There is so much gluten and wheat in everything else around - that cutting out bread seems like a good plan for me - without going down the extreme route of cutting out all gluten completely - which would be very tricky to do.

Archived