House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tinker

Dispatches, Channel 4 - Housing Benefit Millionaires

HPC is losing it!

Ch4 Mon 7 March 2016 8pm (+1 at 9pm)

No thread on this. Half-hour on the right-to-buy bonanza fuelling the spiv economy and the fantasy get-rich-quick society; Right-to-Buy son to be extended to Housing Associations.

Eye-watering discounts... fraudulent claims and companies and landlords waiting in the wings to take advantage. One of Thatcher's policy-makers piling in; son snapping up much of an estate.

40% of these sold-off properties ending up in the hands of BTL landlords.

Councils short of properties to rent forced to spend millions buying back properties they were forced t sell off,

Madness!!!

Politicians behind this need stringing up for what they have both done and the monster they have created.

Have to admit, it's somehow more shocking seeing it in the flesh even though I've read most of these stories.

Amazing how little interest the government has in solving the housing crisis. However you view the result I think Thatchers intent was (mostly) benign, so it's incredible with over 3 decades of hindsight... theyre simply carrying on like some out of control robot.

Part 2 next week - cheers great find !

Have to admit, it's somehow more shocking seeing it in the flesh even though I've read most of these stories.

Amazing how little interest the government has in solving the housing crisis. However you view the result I think Thatchers intent was (mostly) benign, so it's incredible with over 3 decades of hindsight... theyre simply carrying on like some out of control robot.

Part 2 next week - cheers great find !

Few governments have fresh ideas. Cameron was just desperate for some popularity generating association with Thatcher.

Watched this on +1.

The usual memes were wheeled out so it wasn't really interesting. However their lack of will to name the real culprit was glaring, finanicialization.

This program obviously focused on RTB and it wide scale implementation, but it got me thinking what would have happened if there had not been any loosening of the rules regarding lending on housing. Without the "Big Bang" we just wouldn't have a housing crisis.

Without the 1984 changes capital would have flowed into industry and not been dumped into non-productive housing. That is the real story.

Watched this on +1.

The usual memes were wheeled out so it wasn't really interesting. However their lack of will to name the real culprit was glaring, finanicialization.

This program obviously focused on RTB and it wide scale implementation, but it got me thinking what would have happened if there had not been any loosening of the rules regarding lending on housing. Without the "Big Bang" we just wouldn't have a housing crisis.

Without the 1984 changes capital would have flowed into industry and not been dumped into non-productive housing. That is the real story.

Lets call the Big Bang what it was....bank deregulation.

They should never have been dergulated.

They should have been re-regulated in 2008

The fact that they weren't tells you who is up to their necks in all this.

It's playing out exactly like the railway mania.

The 2nd collapse must be imminent.

HPC is losing it!

Ch4 Mon 7 March 2016 8pm (+1 at 9pm)

No thread on this. Half-hour on the right-to-buy bonanza fuelling the spiv economy and the fantasy get-rich-quick society; Right-to-Buy son to be extended to Housing Associations.

Eye-watering discounts... fraudulent claims and companies and landlords waiting in the wings to take advantage. One of Thatcher's policy-makers piling in; son snapping up much of an estate.

40% of these sold-off properties ending up in the hands of BTL landlords.

Councils short of properties to rent forced to spend millions buying back properties they were forced t sell off,

Madness!!!

Politicians behind this need stringing up for what they have both done and the monster they have created.

+1

David (?) gow, son of Thatcher housing minister Ian gow, somehow managed to buy 40 ex-council homes with his wife in one block if I understood correctly.

It is effectively theft of public assets, not dissimilar to looting of state assets in Russia. No wonder Russkis feel so at home in Londinium.

Now Cameron/Osborne repeating the theft on an even grander scale using public money to satisfy a weird cultish delusion.

It is effectively theft of public assets, not dissimilar to looting of state assets in Russia.

+1

A conditioned and compliant electorate and its assets are soon parted ....

Giving people the right to buy their council house is one thing (personally I don't agree with it why should you get a huge discount by dint of living in a publically-owned asset).

But the worst thing is the lack of safeguards to stop the homes being passed on to private landlords. There should be a 20-year period where the home can't be sold at more than CPI. The council tenants are buying security, they shouldn't have the opportunity to make a profit from it.

Nothing will happen unless politicians start taking their own dodgy expenses and house flipping practices to task.

I can foresee a scenario involving somebody with a 'foreign' name and/or nationality getting made a patsy to much public uproar, piggybacking on the 'Brexit' theme to stir public opinion.

But this will amount to nothing ultimately.

Same old news, different day.

Lets call the Big Bang what it was....bank deregulation.

They should never have been deregulated.

They should have been re-regulated in 2008

The fact that they weren't tells you who is up to their necks in all this.

It's playing out exactly like the railway mania.

The 2nd collapse must be imminent.

+1

What a disgrace! <_<

OK so my parents bought their council house. At least my dad isn't renting it out privately and continues to live there. Ex-LA homes should never be rented out on the private market impo. Owner occupation only.

Right to Buy of Housing Assoc. homes shouldn't be allowed at all. That London Housing Assoc. flat was lovely. :wub: Tenant said she was paying an eye watering £174 (or thereabouts) a week. :blink: Seems a lot to me (although £800/week if it was private?). You still have to be on a decent income to be a Housing Assoc tenant in London.

Nothing will happen unless politicians start taking their own dodgy expenses and house flipping practices to task.

I can foresee a scenario involving somebody with a 'foreign' name and/or nationality getting made a patsy to much public uproar, piggybacking on the 'Brexit' theme to stir public opinion.

But this will amount to nothing ultimately.

Same old news, different day.

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel?