House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nabby81

House Price's Rise 52% Near Crossrail

I'm beginning to see why that bloke bought a place to live in Barcelona while working in London (he doesn't commute every day, which helps).

The thing is, you can already get a train into London from Reading (and then change to the Central line, or whichever line you want). I can't see that this new line will add much to a Reading commuter.

Edited by Trampa501

I'm beginning to see why that bloke bought a place to live in Barcelona while working in London (he doesn't commute every day, which helps).

The thing is, you can already get a train into London from Reading (and then change to the Central line, or whichever line you want). I can't see that this new line will add much to a Reading commuter.

I know you'd think crossrail was going to be free the way prices have gone , no you will spend loads on a house then 1000's on a ticket to be squashed on a busy train ..

I "commuted" from the south of France for 4 years. Cheap flight Mon and Friday. Rented room for 4 nights.

Never thought of buying in mad London. My house in France would cost 1.5 million pounds or more if it was within a commute of my London workplace.

Not paying a crazy UK mortgage allowed me to save a lot of money during this period. And playing the £ v exchange also helped.

Crossrail? I had easyjet and BA to thank years ago. ???

So you "bank" £30k a year for sitting on your **** every year for 7 years. I wonder what sort of income you'd need to be on to bank that AFTER tax, NI and living expenses etc. I work in Reading 2 days a week. Not a cat in hell's chance would I let somebody realise a £30k annual gain off my back - would let some other mug punter gift them their gain. I work with quite a few young people, they are pretty angry. Completely f**ked over.

Started a thread a few months back about my concern that this and other infrastructure projects could prevent any HPC.

I was rightly corrected by posters that in the event of a HPC esp. in London, Crossrail will make F all difference.

Buy Now; Buy Anything ;)

I really don't understand Crossrail and it's impact on prices. I was living in Maidenhead when it was first annouced, and Maidenhead was then to be the end of the line. The EAs were selling it as being a panacea however it seemed pointless to me. If I wanted to get across London would I sit on Corss rail for 45 mins into Paddington then across town OR get the 20 min fast train into Paddington and then change onto Crossrail. It seems if you hate changing trains that much you must pay a huge premium for the benefit.

If I wanted to get across London would I sit on Corss rail for 45 mins into Paddington then across town OR get the 20 min fast train into Paddington and then change onto Crossrail. It seems if you hate changing trains that much you must pay a huge premium for the benefit.

I've been on those horrible trains rather too much. That journey was the reason I stayed in London as long as did.

In the time I was doing it, there was one properly fast train an hour - it was rammed. The 6:37 was mine, and most days you struggled to actually get on the thing. At least it got you to Paddington in 20 minutes, brilliant. And then what? I worked near Liverpool St, so you had to fight your way onto the tube, and hope the circle line was working for about 15 stops. I would allow at least an hour and a half for the journey, two if I really had to be on time for something.

I am assuming that with Crossrail, two things will happen:

1) There will be far more capacity on the line - more trains, less overcrowding. I think it will have a material impact on the traffic on the M4 if they get it right.

2) There will be plenty of trains per hour that get into Liverpool St in 45 minutes, so leaving home early enough to make absolutely sure you get the 6:37 will be a thing of the past, because if you miss it, there will be a 6:50 or whatever.

My view is that cross rail will be bad for central london house prices - why live in a shoe box in Clapham that costs several million, when you can get a nice big house with 5 acres for the same money outside Maidenhead. Journey time into Central London will be about the same.

One of my more astute buys in 1996 was a lockup garage 100 yards from the back entrance of Maidenhead station....stored my old car in it for years, had loads of people trying to buy it off me in the last 2 years, not interested.

Perhaps it would increase prices if you are near a new central London stops, but as said can't see it raising prices in Berkshire as the fast train from Reading is much easier than a grindingly slow outer tube line. If people think an end of the line tube station will boost prices, I say look at Uxbridge. It's at the end of 2 lines, and only crazy people use it to get into central London. It's actually quicker to drive to Woking round the M25, and train from there.

but as said can't see it raising prices in Berkshire as the fast train from Reading is much easier than a grindingly slow outer tube line.

Yes, if you live in walking distance of Reading station. For everyone else, you can't get into Reading in the morning without sitting in traffic for ages, and even when you get there, you can't park. If you live in central-ish Reading, then bus is possible, but once you get to the outskirts, it is all a bit hard.

I worked on Crossrail for a year, living in Maidenhead. It's a complete dump, mostly inhabited by non Brits.

I wouldn't live there if you paid me, never mind spend hundreds of thousands on a house.

FYI, don't ever plan on getting the new Crossrail trains home after a night onm the bev, no toilets on board :lol:

FYI, don't ever plan on getting the new Crossrail trains home after a night onm the bev, no toilets on board :lol:

Is this true?

Surely all trains have to have toilets?