House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

One You. Who Said The Govt Doesn't Care About You

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-launches-one-you

It will encourage adults to start by taking a new online health quiz called ‘How Are You’. This innovative quiz provides personalised recommendations based on your results and directs people to tools and advice to help them take action where it’s most needed. Over half (56%) of 40 to 60 year olds taking the ‘How Are You’ quiz said they were likely to change their lifestyle to improve their health because of the feedback it gave them.

Living healthily in midlife can double your chances of being healthy at 70 and beyond.
How are you
Highlights:

around 40% of all deaths in England are related to behaviour
the NHS spends more than £11bn a year on treating illnesses caused by the effects of diet, inactivity, smoking and drinking alcohol
Public Health England launches ‘One You’, the first ever nationwide campaign to address preventable disease in adults

what advice are they promoting...the usual BS fad diet, or the truth?

Doing what they advised has led to record diabetes and obesity in the UK.

Not really.

This is just a pointless 'make-work' scheme for obese NHS middle manager woman.

Look, if you want to change the UK so we have Scandi levels of wellness as we get older thean you need to address the unheallhy, unemployed 30% rump.

Bring in NHS health insurance. Set the fee according to a number of simple metrics - smoking, wieght, etc etc.

Greggs and wspoons and free benefit money is going to cost the UK a fkcing fortune.

Compare and contract:

How much money has been spend of Stop Smoking campaigns.

Barely registered.

Cheap efags come in and - bang! - 1/3 drop of smokers in my town switch to efags.

Does not need a legion of Nurses and health workers - believe me the NHS has spent a fortune on Stop Smoking. Just needed something cheaper and less harmfull and that they could fiddled about with their fingers.

Last week they were claiming that they are going to have to raise the retirement age. This week they are claiming that YOU have got to sort your fat ar5e out so that they can continue to tax that ar5e until you expire. You ain't going to be a happy little tax slave into your 80s unless you start to reign it in now. THEY DON'T GIVE A FLYING FORNICATION ABOUT YOU, IT'S ABOUT HOW TO KEEP THEIR HERD PRODUCTIVE UNTIL THEY DROP.

bB

I think this is the great fallacy. Basically, most expense is towards the end of life. People with bad habits simply have the expense earlier but have less call on resources for the rest of the time because they don't live for those extra decades. So you can put off the expense but probably at greater overall expense on a range of metrics from nhs to housing benefit to pensions. And don't forget bus passes, heating allowance and tv licences and 'house blocking'. ;)

Personally I think home design and transport design have a huge role that the government has failed on. Smaller houses mean less movement. Poor cycle and pedestrian ways etc. They themselves could do an awful lot rater than just lecturing us.

Im not so sure.

I dont think there's been enough data collected to show health cost.

I have a friend who's a GP. Apart from a couple of OAPs with long running chronic problems, he reckons thats there is just a small cohort of patients that suck in most of the time and costs.

You get the cancer sufferers. Thats expensive and sad.

Some are just time-wasting hypochondriacs.

Quite a few are, in his words,'unemployed, idle lard buckets' who are now suffering from Diabetes.

His Dad was a GP in the same area. He says Diabetes was rare even up to the late 80s - it was just people who randomly suffered rather than a long burn of bad diet and inactivity.

He's seeing the same with a lot of cancer sufferers - an big uptick of cases in the lazy + obese.

Basically, the cost of having a large percentage of working-age people out of work, sat round eating, is costing the country a fortune.

He reckons the NHS should be renamed the National Unemployed LardAss Service - thats where he's spending his time + budget.

Compare and contract:

Barely registered.

Cheap efags come in and - bang! - 1/3 drop of smokers in my town switch to efags.

Does not need a legion of Nurses and health workers - believe me the NHS has spent a fortune on Stop Smoking. Just needed something cheaper and less harmfull and that they could fiddled about with their fingers.

Crikey. Are you suggesting that simple market forces have been more effective than expensive, wasteful and ultimately futile government intervention?

Who'da thunk it?

Compare and contract:

Barely registered.

Cheaper until...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/e-cigarette-prices-set-soar-eu-moves-reclassify-it-tobacco-product-tax-purposes-1546977

I think this is the great fallacy. Basically, most expense is towards the end of life. People with bad habits simply have the expense earlier but have less call on resources for the rest of the time because they don't live for those extra decades. So you can put off the expense but probably at greater overall expense on a range of metrics from nhs to housing benefit to pensions. And don't forget bus passes, heating allowance and tv licences and 'house blocking'. ;)

Personally I think home design and transport design have a huge role that the government has failed on. Smaller houses mean less movement. Poor cycle and pedestrian ways etc. They themselves could do an awful lot rater than just lecturing us.

I think Sir Humphrey already covered this point back in the 1980s

Hah ha. They must know it would reduce a strong financial incentive to opt for the healthier version. Any delay is probably down to working out how they can spin this.

Yes, and then I followed this link to corporations lobbying the EU!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/science/massive-lobbying-power-tobacco-companies-5217803

Errm, where does the blame/responsibility lie? :unsure:

How can the government waste £3.5M on this? You could almost buy a small house for that money.

I'm not really the Torygraph's demographic but find myself reading them surprisingly often. They definitely nailed it with this one http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/12185876/Patronising-the-overweight-unhealthy-British-public-wont-stop-them-eating-and-smoking.html

Im not so sure.

I dont think there's been enough data collected to show health cost.

I have a friend who's a GP. Apart from a couple of OAPs with long running chronic problems, he reckons thats there is just a small cohort of patients that suck in most of the time and costs.

You get the cancer sufferers. Thats expensive and sad.

Some are just time-wasting hypochondriacs.

Quite a few are, in his words,'unemployed, idle lard buckets' who are now suffering from Diabetes.

Indeed. That's what ours reckons too. Although old people take up a huge number of appointments, with some insisting on booking an appointment in advance of getting test results.

I`m on a ww2 diet....or something similar .

£12 a week with lots of bacon, chicken and more bacon. (aldi)

Weight has dropped naturally from 82 to 71 kg. over the past year.

I don't believe it`s going to kill me.

I`m on a ww2 diet....or something similar .

£12 a week with lots of bacon, chicken and more bacon. (aldi)

Weight has dropped naturally from 82 to 71 kg. over the past year.

I don't believe it`s going to kill me.

But the doodle bugs might!

Christ Im channelling Pin now

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-launches-one-you

It will encourage adults to start by taking a new online health quiz called ‘How Are You’. This innovative quiz provides personalised recommendations based on your results and directs people to tools and advice to help them take action where it’s most needed. Over half (56%) of 40 to 60 year olds taking the ‘How Are You’ quiz said they were likely to change their lifestyle to improve their health because of the feedback it gave them.

Living healthily in midlife can double your chances of being healthy at 70 and beyond.

How are you

Highlights:

around 40% of all deaths in England are related to behaviour

the NHS spends more than £11bn a year on treating illnesses caused by the effects of diet, inactivity, smoking and drinking alcohol

Public Health England launches ‘One You’, the first ever nationwide campaign to address preventable disease in adults

NHS spends more than £11bn a year on treating illnesses caused by the effects of diet, inactivity, smoking and drinking alcohol.

That last line is likely the real reason they are pushing this c***. Did you know you to can live until your 70 accept if you'd been to my nana's OAP home, just sniffed the air and seen what they drink through a straw then you'll know it ain't what it's cut out to be. Good luck all

A Times columnist wrote about this the other day - she had done it under the name of Ms Smugknickers or something - basically saying what a patronising load of c*ck, not to mention waste of NHS money - as if we don't all know perfectly well already what we OUGHT to do - eat/drink less, exercise more, give up the fags, whatever.