House Price Crash Forum

Labour Backbenchers To Confront Corbyn Over Sex Industry Stance

HOLA441

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/06/labour-backbenchers-confront-corbyn-sex-industry-stance

Jeremy Corbyn and his allies are braced for a bruising meeting of Labour MPs on Monday as the leader prepares to be challenged on his support for decriminalisation of the sex industry, campaigning on the EU and the party’s performance in upcoming local elections.

Female Labour MPs are expected to voice their opposition to Corbyn’s comments on prostitution and sex workers at the meeting of the parliamentary party (PLP), as others vent broader frustration at his leadership.

With the budget due in just over a week’s time, Corbyn and his team will seek to shift the party’s focus on to their economic policies, with an “economy action day” planned for next Saturday aimed at highlighting Labour’s opposition to austerity.

But a number of MPs plan to raise his apparent support for decriminalising prostitution, which emerged last week. “It’s a big issue for him,” said one.

Prominent Labour women, including Harriet Harman, Caroline Flint and Jess Phillips, reacted with fury after Corbyn told students at Goldsmiths university in London on Thursday night: “I am in favour of decriminalising the sex industry,” adding that he wanted to “do things a bit differently and in a bit more [of a] civilised way”.

How best to help sex workers is a hugely controversial issue on the left. Some, led by campaign group the English Collective of Prostitutes, argue that decriminalisation would allow regulation to limit the dangers, but others warn it would leave vulnerable women exposed to abuse.

There are safeguards you could put in place to protect sex workers like compulsory registration, monthly health check ups etc.... However it appears the fem nazis would rather criminalise it all as its people who don't agree with them. The sex industry has always existed and it always will. Far better to manage it and have touch sentences for those that exploit the vulnerable.

HOLA442

Industry is already de-regulated (if it was ever regulated in the first place) in most other Countries in Europe. This allows for frequent proper health checks also and for it to be segregated in a particular area of town.

If anything the UK is out of step. Corbyn may be ahead of the curve on this..

Don't some UK councils already operate tolerance zones?

Edit to add.

Strange to think that Harriet Harman supported kiddie fiddling with the PIE but opposes de-regulation here?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Legalize it and you can:

Offer safe houses for the workers, with panic alarms and security ect.

Regular, free health checks for the workers.

The right to prosecute any punters that are abusive, as the workers will be more likely to go to the police.

A website for workers to share information about unpleasant punters that should be avoided.

Workers having the right to say 'no' to a certain punter, at any time and for any reason, without being afraid (as there is security).

If they actually cared about women's safety, they'd legalize it.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Legalize it and you can:

Offer safe houses for the workers, with panic alarms and security ect.

Regular, free health checks for the workers.

The right to prosecute any punters that are abusive, as the workers will be more likely to go to the police.

A website for workers to share information about unpleasant punters that should be avoided.

Workers having the right to say 'no' to a certain punter, at any time and for any reason, without being afraid (as there is security).

I know this is crossing OT threads but I knew a couple of prozzies when I frequented Middlesborough.

I used to chat to them in this rough bar.

Punters come in all shape and sizes but they all hated - to a woman - pakistanis.

HOLA448

I know this is crossing OT threads but I knew a couple of prozzies when I frequented Middlesborough.

Punters come in all shape and sizes but they all hated - to a woman - pakistanis.

Why?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I've got a pet theory about this: prostitutes can make £1000 in a single night. Must be true, it's repeated often enough in the media - both left and right wing. Ergo, they're rolling in money.

Of course, like any independent worker, when you're working your hourly rate is sky-high, but the rest of the time you're on £0/per hour - and that's before we start talking of the business expenses. Nevermind, all the permies see is the £1000 per night figure.

In particular, we have middle-class uni educated women, seeing some of their sisters making more in a night than they make in a week. This awakens their interest. When they find out that many of these sisters are (shudder!) working class, left school at 16, broken families, and yet they still make (or seem to make) more money than their clearly more equal sisters do... well, they blow a fuse.

Of course, they then wrap it up in plenty of plausible-sounding justification, but it's still basically about jealousy.

Anyway, it's just a theory of mine. Feel free to shoot it down.

HOLA4414

I've got a pet theory about this: prostitutes can make £1000 in a single night. Must be true, it's repeated often enough in the media - both left and right wing. Ergo, they're rolling in money.

Of course, like any independent worker, when you're working your hourly rate is sky-high, but the rest of the time you're on £0/per hour - and that's before we start talking of the business expenses. Nevermind, all the permies see is the £1000 per night figure.

In particular, we have middle-class uni educated women, seeing some of their sisters making more in a night than they make in a week. This awakens their interest. When they find out that many of these sisters are (shudder!) working class, left school at 16, broken families, and yet they still make (or seem to make) more money than their clearly more equal sisters do... well, they blow a fuse.

Of course, they then wrap it up in plenty of plausible-sounding justification, but it's still basically about jealousy.

Anyway, it's just a theory of mine. Feel free to shoot it down.

My theory is not that the sex is too expensive, quite the opposite...it's that most women are angry that the sex is being sold so cheap (i.e. no commitment/months wages on a ring/5 figure wedding required). If a bloke can just go and have sex with a good looking, friendly woman every now and then, it removes a big chunk of some women's bargaining power (i.e. the promise of sex).

It means that sex can no longer be used as a reward and as bait for financial commitment. So in other words, the only reason you'd commit to someone would be if you actually liked them as a person and got on well together (and most probably wanted to have sex as a side effect) - which seems like a more healthy reason to have a relationship rather than it being because it's the only way that you can get access to sex.

Of course the shaming (and in some cases criminalization) of those who pay for sex will stop most men from doing it, and lead them down the route of marrying women they don't actually have that much in common with, who they will try to keep happy for their 'reward' sex.

HOLA4415

OK, so on the one hand you have my sympathy for your time spent "frequenting" Middlesbrough. No human being should have to suffer that.

But on the other hand, you're telling us that you chatted to them in a "rough bar" in Middlesbrough - now that hardly narrows it down now does it...?

;)

XYY

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

This is one of Corbyn's policy initiatives with which I have a lot of sympathy. Let's hope he advocates decriminalization of drugs as well.

No surprise about the opposition from Harriet Harman and the rest of the Labour Party middle class sisterhood who appear to want to keep sex workers under the control of pimps and gangsters.

Of course, the loathsome Harman likes to keep quiet about her role in supporting the Iraq war. At least Corbyn had the guts to vote against it consistently.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/3536#.Vtzr-XrLfmw

HOLA4418

You need to step away from that computer mate.

I think Joe has a very good point there.

Feminist ideology relies, at root, upon control over men's access to sex. If you make that a normal weekend transaction then that control is gone.

Marriages and relationships then become meetings of minds between equals and feminism vanishes in a puff of smoke.

I read a few weeks ago that there is a legal safe zone in Leeds, on an industrial estate outside working hours, where it is already decriminalised and this has resulted in the women feeling (and being) much safer. I struggle to see why that would not be the priority aim for anybody.

HOLA4419

OK, so on the one hand you have my sympathy for your time spent "frequenting" Middlesbrough. No human being should have to suffer that.

But on the other hand, you're telling us that you chatted to them in a "rough bar" in Middlesbrough - now that hardly narrows it down now does it...?

;)

XYY

Bongos.

I had a friend who was doing some work to one of the few nice looking buildings behind the station.

It was the closedt place to meet him before we headed back early night.

He had some realtive/friend whl worked there, so we'd go in pre-opening.

A lot of prossies used to come in for break between clients.

This was a good few years ago, when prossie who worked that area were old enough to go into bars.

HOLA4420

My theory is not that the sex is too expensive, quite the opposite...it's that most women are angry that the sex is being sold so cheap (i.e. no commitment/months wages on a ring/5 figure wedding required). If a bloke can just go and have sex with a good looking, friendly woman every now and then, it removes a big chunk of some women's bargaining power (i.e. the promise of sex).

It means that sex can no longer be used as a reward and as bait for financial commitment. So in other words, the only reason you'd commit to someone would be if you actually liked them as a person and got on well together (and most probably wanted to have sex as a side effect) - which seems like a more healthy reason to have a relationship rather than it being because it's the only way that you can get access to sex.

Of course the shaming (and in some cases criminalization) of those who pay for sex will stop most men from doing it, and lead them down the route of marrying women they don't actually have that much in common with, who they will try to keep happy for their 'reward' sex.

I think you are spot on.

HOLA4421

I think you are spot on.

You just paid money to have your own balls functionally destroyed to feel secure that no woman will be able to trap you in a relationship. An action you said you were planning to keep secret from your current girlfriend. Do you think there's any possibility that you also have a disfunctional approach to women?

HOLA4422

Possibly, but before I ever got involved with my current girlfriend I made it clear I never wanted kids and she accepted it. She has children from a previous relationship. I don't want a sudden accidental change of heart leading to a whoops I'm pregnant sorry about that.

Personally I think all male female relationships are dysfunctional. The motivations, desires and genral nature of men and women are often in conflict with each other but we are programmed to reproduce so coupling a strong drive that overrides this.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Good post, and essentially correct.

HOLA4425

Archived