House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Why Does Beer Leave You Full But Lager Make You Hungry?

Two drinks, barley, hops, water. One top fermenting yeast and the other bottom-fermenting but essentially very similar drinks.

But have a, um, "generous" amount of lager and you're craving curry, chips etc.

Whereas a similar amount of bitter leaves you full up and not wanting any food.

Never understood this one. Are there any heavy drinkers or intellectuals who can solve this mystery?

I am not such a "heavy drinker" but I like both! The mystery has eluded me!

I am not such a "heavy drinker" but I like both! The mystery has eluded me!

You must be the intellectual then!

My other question, now solved, was why I had such awful hangovers after drinking cider; it turns out that sulphites are used in the fermentation process and they were causing the problem so the cider jar is now closed to me.

I don't know but I am willing to embark on a 2 year research project if you will sponsor the tab>?

You must be the intellectual then!

My other question, now solved, was why I had such awful hangovers after drinking cider; it turns out that sulphites are used in the fermentation process and they were causing the problem so the cider jar is now closed to me.

It might depend upon what cider you were drinking. Was it the mass produced cheap stuff or was it one of the better brands such as Thatchers or Westons? The latter ones might be more suitable for you.

(Had the same problem - drunk the brand stuff as a teenager and did not touch it again for about 25 - 30 years until I tried the good stuff and did not have a problem.).

It might depend upon what cider you were drinking. Was it the mass produced cheap stuff or was it one of the better brands such as Thatchers or Westons? The latter ones might be more suitable for you.

(Had the same problem - drunk the brand stuff as a teenager and did not touch it again for about 25 - 30 years until I tried the good stuff and did not have a problem.).

The dry ciders like Blackthorn or the two litre supermarket bottles. Might try a few of a better brand then.

yeast!?

beer has more maybe

That could very well be it Sarah. Well done you!

Yeast is extremely filling and I am partial to the odd Bovril (high in yeast) which certainly fills me up. And not seen often enough at football grounds these days.

Mystery solved! Assuming of course that beer is higher in yeast than lager, which I think it is.

The dry ciders like Blackthorn or the two litre supermarket bottles. Might try a few of a better brand then.

Yep, try a bottle of Thatchers - they do 2 or 3 dry ones that I like such as Thatchers Gold and Thstchers Katy. I used to enjoy Westons but now find it a tad sweet for me but it is a lovely cider if you like sweetness. They press their apples on wooden presses and it makes a huge difference to some of the 2 litre bottle brands who apparently use metal presses. You can often taste the metal in manu ciders.

As I say, you might find the wood pressed cider brands to be OK.

Also, try brewing your own: not quite turbocider but get 20 litres of cheap apple juice from aldi, 3 jars of cheap aldi honey, 3 big cooking apples, champagne yeast and some strong tea brewed from a few teabags. Melt honey, mix with apple juice, add tea, add grated apple, then yeast. Bottle after about 3 or 4 weeks in empty 2ltr coke bottles. Will be rough at first but after a few months quite palatable. I didn't properly test last batch but reckon about 9 - 10 percent. One pint felt like a bottle of wine effects wise. You can add pectin at the end to reduce cloudiness. Be scrupulously clean with bottles etc.

I think I'm right but some of the cheaper ciders can have general alcohol with a bitvof real cider and apple juice added. That is, not actually properly brewed from apples.

That's interesting. Never knew that but it would explain a lot.

Ales are more filling as they are made with more unfermentable sugars, giving them the toffee/biscuit/coffee notes.

Apart from the bottle conditioned ones, they wont have yeast.

With regards to cider, I only get those cider hangovers from real cider. Don't know why. But the cheap ones are made with apple juice concentrate and sugar, fermented to about 15% then diluted to the appropriate levels. Its not really cider.... But at least I dont feel like death the next day.

That could very well be it Sarah. Well done you!

Yeast is extremely filling and I am partial to the odd Bovril (high in yeast) which certainly fills me up. And not seen often enough at football grounds these days.

Mystery solved! Assuming of course that beer is higher in yeast than lager, which I think it is.

Ah those years of biochemistry at uni weren't entirely wasted. Actually they were. Completely. :)

Two drinks, barley, hops, water. One top fermenting yeast and the other bottom-fermenting but essentially very similar drinks.

But have a, um, "generous" amount of lager and you're craving curry, chips etc.

Whereas a similar amount of bitter leaves you full up and not wanting any food.

Never understood this one. Are there any heavy drinkers or intellectuals who can solve this mystery?

You need to embark on an experimental research programme to find the exact mix that leaves you neither fuller nor hungrier than when you started. And how much it depends on other factors like what you've eaten.

Also, try brewing your own: not quite turbocider but get 20 litres of cheap apple juice from aldi, 3 jars of cheap aldi honey, 3 big cooking apples, champagne yeast and some strong tea brewed from a few teabags. Melt honey, mix with apple juice, add tea, add grated apple, then yeast. Bottle after about 3 or 4 weeks in empty 2ltr coke bottles. Will be rough at first but after a few months quite palatable. I didn't properly test last batch but reckon about 9 - 10 percent. One pint felt like a bottle of wine effects wise. You can add pectin at the end to reduce cloudiness. Be scrupulously clean with bottles etc.

Have made that very recipe several times. Makes a lovely cider, though perhaps better to go easy on the honey, otherwise as you say one or two pints and it takes the legs clean away from you!

Ales are more filling as they are made with more unfermentable sugars, giving them the toffee/biscuit/coffee notes.

Apart from the bottle conditioned ones, they wont have yeast.

With regards to cider, I only get those cider hangovers from real cider. Don't know why. But the cheap ones are made with apple juice concentrate and sugar, fermented to about 15% then diluted to the appropriate levels. Its not really cider.... But at least I dont feel like death the next day.

Depends if OP's drinking in the on or off trade. If it's cask ale, then it could be the yeast as its still undergoing secondary fermentation.

It's because cask ale is a thing of joy, wonder, beauty and pleasure and lager is an industrial product of the servants of satan.

I believe (from anecdotal evidence) that decent lager exists but is not easily available in the UK. I'm sure I remember reading something about even CAMRA supporting it.