House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wherebee

Non Conviction Against Corruptoids

So - I was thinking on the train about what I would do if I served on a jury for a case in which Blair was the victim (don't care what the crime was - but something that was bad/embarrassing for him). I concluded that in the interests of wider justice, I would never convict an offender if Blair was the injured party, due to the hundreds of thousands of humans he has caused to be killed, crippled, financially ruined, or otherwise suffered.

Then I was thinking of other 'corruptoids' that I would also never have a problem in seeing as the guilty party, even if there were not on trial. My list came down to:

- Merkel (crimes against humanity)

- Blair (crimes against humanity)

there are many more despicable human beings, but I kept the list at those that had the power to cause harm or good on a massive scale, and chose harm.

I seem to remember that in the 16th-18th century, juries would acquit obviously guilty people for crimes such as smuggling, as a way of sticking two fingers up against the corrupt authorities. Are we heading back to those times?

So - I was thinking on the train about what I would do if I served on a jury for a case in which Blair was the victim (don't care what the crime was - but something that was bad/embarrassing for him). I concluded that in the interests of wider justice, I would never convict an offender if Blair was the injured party, due to the hundreds of thousands of humans he has caused to be killed, crippled, financially ruined, or otherwise suffered.

Then I was thinking of other 'corruptoids' that I would also never have a problem in seeing as the guilty party, even if there were not on trial. My list came down to:

- Merkel (crimes against humanity)

- Blair (crimes against humanity)

there are many more despicable human beings, but I kept the list at those that had the power to cause harm or good on a massive scale, and chose harm.

I seem to remember that in the 16th-18th century, juries would acquit obviously guilty people for crimes such as smuggling, as a way of sticking two fingers up against the corrupt authorities. Are we heading back to those times?

Yes, justice is for the rich. :( The rest of us are crims! -_-

It's one of the reasons the death penalty was rolled back from a lot of offences - juries just wouldn't convict.

Trust the common sense of the great unwashed? Not sure now common sense is extinct.

It exists in PinWorld

Of course it does, Mr P! I meant among the great unwashed!

I spent my tax rebate on a saxophone. Woo! :unsure:

It's one of the reasons the death penalty was rolled back from a lot of offences - juries just wouldn't convict.

Ever read "the commonwealth of thieves" account of the foundation of Australia ? In 18th century England If you stole more than a Guinea you got the death penalty, less or equal transportation. Juries had to estimate the value of the goods stolen, 99% settled on exactly one Guinea, whatever the items were

Ever read "the commonwealth of thieves" account of the foundation of Australia ? In 18th century England If you stole more than a Guinea you got the death penalty, less or equal transportation. Juries had to estimate the value of the goods stolen, 99% settled on exactly one Guinea, whatever the items were

Good on them. I look forward to the day I'm called up for jury service and sit on a drug dealing case.

Not guilty, whatever the judge directs me. I'm not being told to do by some unelected *****.