House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pokercola

London Property Market Depends On People Pretending Grim Places Are Great

The Daily Mash has been pretty much spot on about a few things recently. This is another gem :)

London

The UK Property Market Depends On People Pretending Grim Places Are Great

Corrected.

Yeah, an eye opened when I went to places Joe-Worke lived in London.

And thewages for 90%+ are no better than elsewehre i nthe UK!

Fck that I thought.

I have some friends who just bought and refurbed a house in North London that is supposedly worth £3.5 million now, and every time I visit their house I think how grim their neighbourhood is. The house is nice enough, but a teenager was stabbed and killed 4 blocks away last year. My friend was mugged for her phone six months ago (she actually stomped on his head and pinned him to the ground until the police arrived). Parking is always a hassle. They drive their kids 45 minutes each way morning and evening because the local schools aren't great. It would be one thing if they had a nice house in a so-so neighbourhood because it was a good bargain, but it's not. I just don't get it.

Let's hear it for Cockney Geezer city. Hooray it's sh1t! :huh:

The Daily Mash has been pretty much spot on about a few things recently. This is another gem :)

Here's a depressing thought - it's actually a piece from May 2013. Almost three years ago. London house prices are up 42% since it was printed. Hence your £500k shit flat is now 'worth' £710k. Satirise that.

Edited by Idlewild

This will annoy libertas off the newsblog who is of the Enfield gentrification persuasion.

http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/borough-of-enfield.html

'Enfield town is more of your run of the mill ‘eastenders’ style chav paradise, like a mini romford… At times the edmonton ‘gangsters’ end up there but in more cases than others its strictly inhabited by single mums and 14 year old kids with excessive spiky hair and four earings, at times rhyming cockney slang is used and people there only like only r & b music. You know what it isnt even just the way these people look that bothers me, I have shaved hair and wear clothes that aren’t exactly aristocratic; its more the pointless reaffirmation of how you should live a pointless life with no ambition. Enfield town is the most annoying place on the planet and should be evacuated and then carpet bombed.'

Comments are an entertaining read and give a balanced view of many neighboring boroughs as well.

I must admit, having spent some time on and off in London over the years it has changed considerably since the 1980's and I am always feel relieved when I leave the place. Didn't mind Worcester Park years ago but it has a funny feeling about the place now, sort of undescribably soulless as though nobody really cares about the place anymore. Might be something to do with the fact that London is not full of Londoners anymore, just a majority of transients.

Here's a depressing thought - it's actually a piece from May 2013. Almost three years ago. London house prices are up 42% since it was printed. Hence your £500k shit flat is now 'worth' £710k. Satirise that.

At that rate soon be a million.

We've reached ridiculous levels in London. Anywhere you'd walk around and consider a nice, pleasant area is only for the super wealthy to buy in - Crouch End, Muswell Hill, Highgate etc. Middling areas which still have grotty shops and litter are beyond the reach of normal people - Bethnal Green, Shoreditch, Maze Hill etc. Places which are like a refugee dumping ground - like Turnpike Lane and Wood Green - houses are still over £600k, but when you leave the front door you're faced with the scum of Europe standing around on the streets in groups, spitting and offering you drugs. 20 times average salary for that?

Sanity has gone out of the window a long time ago.

We've reached ridiculous levels in London. Anywhere you'd walk around and consider a nice, pleasant area is only for the super wealthy to buy in - Crouch End, Muswell Hill, Highgate etc. Middling areas which still have grotty shops and litter are beyond the reach of normal people - Bethnal Green, Shoreditch, Maze Hill etc. Places which are like a refugee dumping ground - like Turnpike Lane and Wood Green - houses are still over £600k, but when you leave the front door you're faced with the scum of Europe standing around on the streets in groups, spitting and offering you drugs. 20 times average salary for that?

Sanity has gone out of the window a long time ago.

Love it ! Wood Green summed up perfectly .....

Does that black snot thing still apply? Thirty years back it was absolutely true but when I was working in the City five or six years back I don't recall it being a problem.

90% of London is grim... people seem to overcompensate by telling themselves it's the "greatest city in the world"... how often have you heard that of late... a form of self-brainwashing.

Does that black snot thing still apply? Thirty years back it was absolutely true but when I was working in the City five or six years back I don't recall it being a problem.

For subterranean tube trogs it's still 'a thing' (as the youth put it) I suspect. But I've noticed that, in my 20 year absence that London air is much, much cleaner above ground.

For subterranean tube trogs it's still 'a thing' (as the youth put it) I suspect. But I've noticed that, in my 20 year absence that London air is much, much cleaner above ground.

Those of us of a certain vintage can still remember when every major building in London was caked in soot. That was pretty much still the case in the early 1970s two decades after the introduction of the Clean Air Act. I remember French school exchange student who stayed with my family back then who was genuinely shocked about how dirty the city appeared.

Ironically, I only have to smell coal smoke to be overwhelmed by nostalgia for the past. I recently visited Cardiff for the first time for 5 decades after going there on a number of occasions as a child with my Welsh grandfather and immediately noticed the absence of the smell of coal that once dominated the town. Strange that I should now miss those grimy old British towns which at least seemed rooted and alive to their modern British counterparts with their rootless populations which are dead under the surface.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Those grimy old British towns still exist it just isn't as obvious now, I've spent the last 18 months living near the coast on Anglesey and I recently paid a visit to my hometown of Glossop in Derbyshire (a town notorious for traffic congestion) as soon as I stepped out of the car I was overwhelmed by the smell of what I'm guessing was Sulphur Dioxide from the exhaust fumes.

on mn apparently all you do is buy anything in a run down area and it will gradually improve, just look at notting hill. :rolleyes:

a few years ago i felt sorry for people buying shoe boxes in Enfield, turns out they are now worth double. and the place is still nasty!