House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecrashingisles

How Did I Live Without...

Must admit I have never quite got the hang of it. Whether I smash the egg on the side of the bowl or hit it with a knife I usually end up picking at least one bit of shell out with a spoon.

However to buy such a device would be to admit the failure to accomplish a basic task so it can't be done.

Must admit I have never quite got the hang of it. Whether I smash the egg on the side of the bowl or hit it with a knife I usually end up picking at least one bit of shell out with a spoon.

However to buy such a device would be to admit the failure to accomplish a basic task so it can't be done.

Try the egg in the palm of your hand and the back of a table knife to crack it.

I would need a much bigger kitchen if I bought half the gadgets they think up. The soup maker is one that defeats me - what's wrong with a saucepan and a stick blender, if you want it puréed?

One of the tips my mother gave me, if you need separated eggs, e.g. for meringues, is to have 3 cups, and always break the egg into no. 3. And only then tip the yolk into 1 and the white into 2. If you mess one up then it doesn't contaminate the others, and you can have it scrambled later.

Mind you I only make meringue about once a year, when I faff around making Mr B's all time favourite lemon meringue pie.

Now, if there was a really efficient gadget for grating lemon zest, I might just be tempted, and he might get his LMP a bit more often.

Edit: mostly 1 star reviews. The 5 star reviews seem to be planted. Supposedly eggxactly useless product

2.5 stars on Amazon and 56 reviews. I'm out.

Best bit on Amazon is the price, Says RRP £87.68, price is £4.43

I would need a much bigger kitchen if I bought half the gadgets they think up.

Exactly.

Since my mum died, my dad has been trying to offload kitchen gadgets onto me. If my kitchen were twice the size I might just have accept things. As it is, they go to a charity shop.

Decluttering his kitchen is no bad thing. Sadly he's got rid of some of the wrong things, so for example there's no longer a saucepan big enough to brew up a big batch of soup, while there is still "best" crockery that never gets used.

My sister (an ex chef) can crack them one handed directly into the bowl and never gets egg shell in it. Almost as amazing as watching her chopping up veg/onions/etc

I can do one in each hand.

Misspent my youth working at McDs as they introduced the breakfast range.

whilst the ez cracker is clever, I find I break eggs wrongly when they have thin shells..Im sure this would fail in the same case.

Me, Im a bang on the base of the pan and open...no mess, unless the shell is thin and breaks leaving me to pick them out..

The best tip to get bits of eggshell out of whatever you are doing is to use another piece of eggshell, you don't end up chasing bits of eggshell around the pan/bowl.

Guest eight

I can do one in each hand.

Misspent my youth working at McDs as they introduced the breakfast range.

I used to work with a guy that had been a chef in the forces, where breakfast involved cracking several thousand eggs every morning. Not surprisingly he was pretty good at it.

Regarding the separation, I once got a good bollocking in a restaurant I worked at for wasting the whites - we had no use for them, it was just the mentality of the owner. I pointed out to him that if the punters developed that attitude he'd have a job shifting risotto for £12.95, or whatever ludicrous price we charged for it. Needless to say I didn't last much longer there.

I used to work with a guy that had been a chef in the forces, where breakfast involved cracking several thousand eggs every morning. Not surprisingly he was pretty good at it.

Regarding the separation, I once got a good bollocking in a restaurant I worked at for wasting the whites - we had no use for them, it was just the mentality of the owner. I pointed out to him that if the punters developed that attitude he'd have a job shifting risotto for £12.95, or whatever ludicrous price we charged for it. Needless to say I didn't last much longer there.

You should have made meringue. Mmm.

Guest eight

You should have made meringue. Mmm.

Yeah, that's about all we could have done, but the yolks were for hollandaise which we made continuously - have to sell a heck of a lot of Eton mess to use up the equivalent amount of whites.

What actually happened was that I put the whites in a pot in the fridge where they sat till I threw them away a week later.

You'll be telling me next it takes as good as if it were mashed in a pot!

Pots are for ladies - a man takes his tea bag neat in a mug.