House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

The Luckiest Generation - And Their Extremely Envious Offspring: Meet The Baby Boomer Mothers Living The Good Life And Their Daughters Struggling To M

It depresses me to see such differences between the boomers and their adult children, but what depresses me more is the reluctance of the boomers to help out their own children in a significant way.

One example in the article was a mercedes SLK driving boomer parent while their own adult child sharing a fiesta with their teenager. How is it possible for a boomer to pull up in one of those at their own daughters house, park next to the fiesta and walk in the humble house to greet their daughter and NOT feel ashamed of their selfishness?

"I worked hard". And your adult children don't?

The circumstances that bought this about are out of their control, but why don't they help?

Just knew this was going to be a daily mail article from reading the thread title, so inflammatory its laughable. They might as well say YOU SHOULD HATE YOUR PARENTS.

Don't hate the players hate the game yo.

These articles are bound to induce resentment. It's not so much the fact that the boomers are wealthy but that it's a bit narcissistic to appear in the media in the first place.

This wealth flaunting seems to be a hobby...If it's not the boomer couple on Escape to the Country who ponder on how they are going to make do with only four bedrooms and a kitchen without a central island on their £750,000 budget it is some worried boomer couple on the back of the Telegraph asking how they are going to manage on their six figure pension in some Money makeover article.

‘We’ve worked hard, so I don’t feel guilty. We joke about spending the children’s inheritance, but it’s only said in fun,’ she says.

:rolleyes:

'some' boomers are wealthy, 'some' boomers don't care about their children, 'some' boomers have cruises, flash cars and index linked pensions

so lets group about 10 million peop[le in the same derided cohort - even if the truth is so very different - I could quote you on average incomes for the generation but you never listen so it is pointless trying to make this forum (and others) think before they hand out the abuse :blink:

Hmm, but what was the position of the parents when they were the age of the daughter? After all the parents worked quite some years more so you would expect them to be better off would you not? Also the mother has an active social life but she is, well, retired whereas the daughter is not so what exactly would you expect? What sort of social life did the mother have at the same age as the daughter? We are not told.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant and the opportunity to scapegoat.

Just knew this was going to be a daily mail article from reading the thread title, so inflammatory its laughable. They might as well say YOU SHOULD HATE YOUR PARENTS.

Don't hate the players hate the game yo.

+1 FFS everyone there are good and bad in every generation. for every Boomer not helping their kids there are 2 planning to liquidate pensions, mortgage again or risk their personal financial safety by gifting early to help with uni loans, deposits, cars to get to first jobs etc

'some' boomers are wealthy, 'some' boomers don't care about their children, 'some' boomers have cruises, flash cars and index linked pensions

so lets group about 10 million peop[le in the same derided cohort - even if the truth is so very different - I could quote you on average incomes for the generation but you never listen so it is pointless trying to make this forum (and others) think before they hand out the abuse :blink:

you are correct, the article is a sweeping generisation

If we had the same conditions as the boomers we would have the same prosperity as the boomers.

A bombed out continent that has a lot of demand. A communist China keeping 1B people out of the labour market, a growing population, a well regulated banking sector that doesn't fleece you, a government that doesn't inflate bubbles.

That's not a bad position to be in in mid-late 40s

I thought that especially with a fractured emotional past as for retiring at 55. I am 54 and can't (actually don't want to go through the required financial reset)

I thought that especially with a fractured emotional past as for retiring at 55. I am 54 and can't (actually don't want to go through the required financial reset)

Go on do it, forsake the purchase of stuff for time. You wont regret it, always a dying man's last regret that he hadn't retired sooner.

The parents of the boomers turned Europe into rubble. The boomers rebuilt Europe. Now the boomers are getting the blame.

Mrs Boomer was a Stay At Home Mother which meant that Mr Boomer could support a family with one wage.

We don't have that now, must be the boomers fault.

Mrs Boomer was a Stay At Home Mother which meant that Mr Boomer could support a family with one wage.

Its a boomers fault for turning a blind eye to their own adult children's relative poverty and refusing to sacrifice their own lifestyle to a small extent to help out their adult children.

Willfull ignorance on the part of boomers because they're all right jack is a real phenomena. Don't pretend it isn't.

I don't blame the boomers particularly, but I do wish they could at least acknowledge how lucky they've been.

I also don't agree with the "we've paid in all our lives and earned it" line - it's pretty clear now that what they were paying in NI was nowhere near enough to support them to current life spans and with current medical costs. We are currently paying the difference, along with the unfunded final salary pensions of public sector workers, and we (well - some of us) are also paying obscene prices for their houses. And of course, to add insult to injury, we are paying through the nose for their pensions now in the full knowledge that we won't get a fraction of it when our time comes.

The parents of the boomers turned Europe into rubble. The boomers rebuilt Europe. Now the boomers are getting the blame.

No they didn't. People born in the 1950s did not rebuild Europe.

+1 FFS everyone there are good and bad in every generation. for every Boomer not helping their kids there are 2 planning to liquidate pensions, mortgage again or risk their personal financial safety by gifting early to help with uni loans, deposits, cars to get to first jobs etc

I don't think there is a face palm on the world big enough to respond to this post.

Hey folks, if you are young and your parents have little then Greg says you are ******ed.

Edited by 25 year mortgage 8itch

I'm 31 and live with my parents, and it really strikes me how my mum (public sector) seems wilfully ignorant to how horribly rigged things are for young and youngish adults in a stagnant, slowly declining economy through the 2000s and 2010s.