House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

America Needs More Immigration: Gates, Buffet, & Adelson

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-gates-warren-buffett-sheldon-adelson-push-immigration-reform/

Though their political opinions don't always align, billionaires Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, and Sheldon Adelson teamed up on Friday to pressure Congress to pass comprehensive immigration reform, saying "Americans deserve better" than the bickering that has prevented a bill from reaching President Obama's desk. "The three of us vary in our politics and would differ also in our preferences about the details of an immigration reform bill. But we could without doubt come together to draft a bill acceptable to each of us," they wrote in an op-ed in The New York Times. "We hope that fact holds a lesson: You don't have to agree on everything in order to cooperate on matters about which you are reasonably close to agreement. It's time that this brand of thinking finds its way to Washington."

Hmm. Goes against what the current Republican front runner Trump (shudder) is saying, or does it?

Does this mean the billionaires want cheap foreign labour within America's borders and not abroad?

Not like the USA have any shortage of labourers, with an estimated 15% of the working age population unemployed.

Employment stat reference: shadowstats

Aha yes. Indian programmers. ^_^

All palces need producitve, profitable, law abiding immgirants - no brainer. They come, they eanr, they pay tax.

No place wants a bunch of hill-bilies with 2 years of education.

All palces need producitve, profitable, law abiding immgirants - no brainer. They come, they eanr, they pay tax.

That's the "a higher population is good" argument, which it isn't unless you've not got enough to survive. There's the "don't have to pay to educate and train them" line, which is just parasitic behaviour.

That's the "a higher population is good" argument, which it isn't unless you've not got enough to survive. There's the "don't have to pay to educate and train them" line, which is just parasitic behaviour.

Its is. Robbin the productive.

Happens in the UK.

Sadly, my home area has seen he people you want to keep leave and the people you want to leave stay.

All big business owners want immigration; it drives down wages and increases their profits.

This should not be a surprise.

Not really a dig at Indian programmers. One lot I worked with hired a few from a big Indian software company. All very good, but outsourced projects are hard to manage. The trouble with thinking that immigration is the answer for all business needs, is the jobs don't last for ever, especially in IT.

US would not exist without immigration.

growth (in wealth & living standards) comes from increases in population and/or increases in productivity/innovation. Nowhere else.

US has been phenomenally successful, has oodles of land and natural resources, rule of law, fantastic innovation.

Why wouldnt you want more people to benefit from that?

growth (in wealth & living standards) comes from increases in population and/or increases in productivity/innovation. Nowhere else.

US has been phenomenally successful, has oodles of land and natural resources, rule of law, fantastic innovation.

How does growth in indviudla wealth and living standards come from increases in population?

If you double the population and double the GDP nobody is actually better off.

There's no link between population levels and wealth or quality of lfie that I'm aware of.

Growth in population strains resources and, unless you're badly under-populated (which I doubt any country is these days) degrades quality of life due to all the crap needed to support it (even if it did bring in a bit more wealth per individual, which it doesn't).

Increases in productivity and innovation once did but that's a game of diminishing returns (although if you keep adding people it's sometimes necessary just to avoid falling backwards ). Well, it might increase wealth and arbitrarily measured living standards, but if it's not making people happier then it's not really achieving anything, so diminishing returns again. There are a few exceptions, such as medical advances.

America benefited from European immigration, not third world immigration and all the strife that comes with it.

America benefited from European immigration, not third world immigration and all the strife that comes with it.

Oh, do stop picking holes :lol:

Im generally quite skeptical of conspiracy theories, but do think the mass movement and encouragement of third worlders to the west has, at its foundation, the ruling class's obsession with 'overpopulation' I also think its testament to how they don't buy their own ******** on carbon emissions and global warming.

1) moving people to the first world means birth rates tend to fall. Less overpopulation globally.

2) moving people from low energy consumption countries to high increases overall emissions. But given trade policy also does this by moving production to low regulation economies, like I say, nothing the establishment do suggests they even believe their own global warming hysteria.

Im generally quite skeptical of conspiracy theories, but do think the mass movement and encouragement of third worlders to the west has, at its foundation, the ruling class's obsession with 'overpopulation' I also think its testament to how they don't buy their own ******** on carbon emissions and global warming.

The obsession with overpopulation isn't anything to do with the ruling classe's perceptions and desires but simple plain, common sense and wanting the best possible world to live in.

The obsession with overpopulation isn't anything to do with the ruling classe's perceptions and desires but simple plain, common sense and wanting the best possible world to live in.

Perhaps, but the numbers are so stacked all I can see happening is it might fractionally reduce population growth in africa and asia, but meanwhile completely destroy living standards in the west. Already real wages in the US have stagnated after a couple of decades of cheap labour importation and job exportation, and immigration rates are only likely to increase with more third worlders inviting their buddies over, illegally if necessary.

My point was not that they are wrong about overpopulation perse, simply the 'were all doomed because of carbon emissions' scaremongering.

I guess the silver lining for them is precisely because these immigrants will be poor, they will vote for more government/fascism and the control freaks like Gates, Buffet and Adelson get to play emperor (which is probably all they have left to dream about given all the riches they already have) Frankly, I think the idea that they can engineer society turns them on. Its just a game to them. If western living standards get destroyed in the process, so what.

Perhaps, but the numbers are so stacked all I can see happening is it might fractionally reduce population growth in africa and asia, but meanwhile completely destroy living standards in the west. Already real wages in the US have stagnated after a couple of decades of cheap labour importation and job exportation, and immigration rates are only likely to increase with more third worlders inviting their buddies over, illegally if necessary.

My point was not that they are wrong about overpopulation perse, simply the 'were all doomed because of carbon emissions' scaremongering.

I guess the silver lining for them is precisely because these immigrants will be poor, they will vote for more government/fascism and the control freaks like Gates, Buffet and Adelson get to play emperor (which is probably all they have left to dream about given all the riches they already have) Frankly, I think the idea that they can engineer society turns them on. Its just a game to them. If western living standards get destroyed in the process, so what.

That was given as part of the reason for the wave of support for Trump, for all Obama's crowing about the successful economy the US lower middle class and working class have seen their incomes steadily if slowly decline in real terms so would actually like to benefit from this economic recovery.

growth comes from shipping labour intensive industries abroad in todays paradigm

Growth from population, yes, but not necessarily more wealth and living standards per capita.

Innovation...quite often but is temporary.

Businesses that want to compete with the foreigners feel the only way to even get off the ground is to either join their competitors abroad or bring people to the Country who will undercut the indiginous, who are encumbered with debts in housing, vehicles and education.

Bill Gates is an idiot despite his immense wealth.

Not really a dig at Indian programmers. One lot I worked with hired a few from a big Indian software company. All very good, but outsourced projects are hard to manage. The trouble with thinking that immigration is the answer for all business needs, is the jobs don't last for ever, especially in IT.

Places like Bradford and the Lancs mill towns are a very good example of this...

If you think a never ending increase in consumers is the way to boost an economy then you are building a bubble, but the actual cost of caring for, education and pensioning those people should not be forgotten.

But we could without doubt come together to draft a bill acceptable to each of us," they wrote in an op-ed in The New York Times.

Without doubt they could come together and the bill need only contain 5 words for them. More cheap labour and greed.

For instance in the UK since year 2000 there's been nearly 10 million extra immigrants arriving (from ONS official statistics) and still they want more.

Without doubt they could come together and the bill need only contain 5 words for them. More cheap labour and greed.

For instance in the UK since year 2000 there's been nearly 10 million extra immigrants arriving (from ONS official statistics) and still they want more.

I could well believe it. About 9 out of the 10 million all seem to use the roads around me :lol:

We could always do what the Saudis, UAE, Singapore etc do. Actually treat the term 'guest worker' at face value. They can be resident here for as long as they have a job. Lose your job, you leave. I honestly don't get why we act as if immigrants are doing us a favour when clearly the supply of prospective immigrants is a lot higher than demand. Numbers are on our side to dictate the terms. We could pick the creme de la creme, no strings attached. Instead we just let any old Norbert in.

Any economic advantages stay. But with none of the long term cultural, demographic, democratic implications.

Of course, Labour doesnt get any additional underclass votes...small sacrifice.

Mila Kunis was an immigrant to the US.

If they were all like that I would be more than willing to give up a bit of bed to house them.

The US does not have much of aproblem with immigration like the UK and EU does - you dont work, you starve.

We could always do what the Saudis, UAE, Singapore etc do. Actually treat the term 'guest worker' at face value. They can be resident here for as long as they have a job. Lose your job, you leave. I honestly don't get why we act as if immigrants are doing us a favour when clearly the supply of prospective immigrants is a lot higher than demand. Numbers are on our side to dictate the terms. We could pick the creme de la creme, no strings attached. Instead we just let any old Norbert in.

Any economic advantages stay. But with none of the long term cultural, demographic, democratic implications.

Of course, Labour doesnt get any additional underclass votes...small sacrifice.

Win-win.

Immigrant gets work + money.

Host country gets worker.

One work of the alternative - Bradford.

Guest eight

We could pick the creme de la creme, no strings attached. Instead we just let any old Norbert in.

Haha, I actually knew a Hungarian immigrant called Norbert who was epically useless.