House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Orange

What Is Your Opinion Of Migrant Workers?

What is your opinion of workers from the EU? Although industrious and relatively law abiding, I think they are a economic band aid at best and long term net drain at worse, a double edged sword badly wielded by greedy, deluded globalists that wanted cheap labour (which is becoming a lot of rope to hang themselves with, when you hear news like this, the high GDP growth built on diminishing quality of output and living standards, retail slowly imploding, proper recruitment/training permanently eroded away, and the rise of Zero Hour Contracts). Way back in 2005 I already had a sinking feeling about this, one of the emerging symptoms of Capitalism and the EU's system eating itself like a ouroboros serpent, and truly I dread what's going to happen in the next decade.

Nearly 10 million extra since about year 2000 and still counting is far too many in such a short time.

(for most of those years getting on for 600,000 extra immigrants each year - according to official ONS statisics).

It's their children that might be more of a worry. Someone local was telling me all about this...

Residents of Crewe in northern England have accused a school and the local police force of covering up violent attacks by Slovakian pupils in the school, including children being thrown down flights of stairs and threatened with rape. The headmaster has allegedly responded by threatening any British pupils who speak out with exclusion, while the police have played down the incident, leaving the town in uproar.

One girl had her fringe ripped out of her head, Slovakian kids jumping up on tables and telling British kids to bow down to them, my little cousin had to be locked in a class room for his own safety. I think I would rather believe the SAME story I have heard from the students themselves than people who would rather cover it up because non British people were involved!”
She added: “And why aren’t Cheshire police doing anything about the Slovakian kids threatening to rape the school girls?”, imploring the police: “Don’t make light of this, it’s a very serious matter. The fact that this led to a large feuding group of at least 40 people down Richard street afterwards just says how severe it was at the school.”

Residents of Crewe in northern England have accused a school and the local police force of covering up violent attacks by Slovakian pupils in the school, including children being thrown down flights of stairs and threatened with rape. The headmaster has allegedly responded by threatening any British pupils who speak out with exclusion, while the police have played down the incident, leaving the town in uproar.

How do they get away with such unfair bias against the indigenous population and allowing others assaults with impunity. Reminiscent of the recent Cologne violence.

How do the authorities get away with such unfair bias against the indigenous population and allowing others assaults with impunity. Reminiscent of the Cologne violence.

West of Scotland in the late 70s early 80, our local secondary schools used to fight betwen each other. 12-15yr old kids. Why ? Differences. One were "protestant" kids , the other "catholics". Rocks , wooden sticks, fists...all in a big park near the schools.

Police would be called to break it up. Headmasters gave talks. All the usual stuff.

Never even made a paragraph of the local papers..........

Personally I like the immigrants I know but the economics of it is short-termism nonsense, you should only have open borders with countries that have a similar standard of living to you, facilitating the growth of low pay jobs ends up lowering most people’s standard of living, the fact that most people can’t get their heads around this amazes and me….

Just what the hell is thread all about!

I find its tone offensive beyond belief. That you could debate individual cases then tar/insinuate every immigrant/worker with the same brush is straight out if the playbook of racists.

Mod - do something to get this drivel removed.

From the point of view of the establishment, mass immigration is a straight win:

More cheap labour - including some skilled people who will work for peanuts too - bigger profits for businesses that can leverage the lower cost of labour.

More people to pay taxes to keep the funds coming in.

More people equals higher GDP, great for the statistics.

More people equals higher demand for housing -> higher house prices and more customers for BTL.

More people equals more 'customers' for new debt, the locals being tapped out.

Importing lots of different cultures undermines the position of the entrenched indigenous culture, easier to push them around.

All you need to do is keep a lid on any discontent from the locals so clamp down hard on any sign that the pot might boil over and label anyone who questions all the uncontrolled immigration racist and xenophobic. Fits in nicely with the drift towards 'social justice' as expressed through legions of morons on social media.

Workers? Excellent. It's the scroungers nobody likes.

Economically, short sighted madness.

I agree, it is not immigrants fault that we cannot build enough houses (I would like to deport all scroungers but can't see how we can deport the ones who are British citizens).

I have a strong suspicion that those who are causing problems in Crewe are not workers.

From the point of view of the establishment, mass immigration is a straight win:

More cheap labour - including some skilled people who will work for peanuts too - bigger profits for businesses that can leverage the lower cost of labour.

More people to pay taxes to keep the funds coming in.

More people equals higher GDP, great for the statistics.

More people equals higher demand for housing -> higher house prices and more customers for BTL.

More people equals more 'customers' for new debt, the locals being tapped out.

Importing lots of different cultures undermines the position of the entrenched indigenous culture, easier to push them around.

All you need to do is keep a lid on any discontent from the locals so clamp down hard on any sign that the pot might boil over and label anyone who questions all the uncontrolled immigration racist and xenophobic. Fits in nicely with the drift towards 'social justice' as expressed through legions of morons on social media.

I agree with this as well. Also I think the PM likes being in charge of a country of 65 million instead of 60 million.

I agree with this as well. Also I think the PM likes being in charge of a country of 65 million instead of 60 million.

Gotta keep ahead of France and Italy, else we're going to be the runt at the big table. He probably really wants more than Turkey, just to be on the safe side.

Gotta keep ahead of France and Italy, else we're going to be the runt at the big table. He probably really wants more than Turkey, just to be on the safe side.

It is the Swiss/China dilema. The average person would rather live in a country like Switzerland, the average prime minister in a country like China and be very important. After all a lot more people in the world know who the president of China is than Switzerland. PMs have to decide what is best, sadly they care for their ego, than their voters.

I find its tone offensive beyond belief. That you could debate individual cases then tar/insinuate every immigrant/worker with the same brush is straight out if the playbook of racists.

Woah woah woah, hold it there! I myself have a much more neutral opinion with migrant workers than some of the commenters here and I personally had no overwhelmingly negative experience with the majority of foreigners, many are net benefit, but I still think the migrant system (like property, automation, and finance) has hit the point of diminishing returns and deeply flawed - not racism, but economics, unfair competition in countless "foot in the door" jobs, and quality of life.

Accusations of racism and actual racist attitudes is why we can't have a proper debate about the potential fallout of vast numbers of people moving around and being used as expendable economic units, damning the long term socia-political consequences, with media reporting becoming much more polarised and selective (I sourced the hard right Breibart for immigrant workers outliving their short term usefulness, but on the other hand the more hard left Guardian counter claims migrant workers pumped in 20 billion pounds into the UK economy, but that may be in past years).

From the point of view of labor any inward migration of competing workers is a bad thing, even more so if the people involved are highly motivated and employable.

From the point of view of Capital it's a good thing of course since it puts downward pressure on wages.

But there's a bigger picture here too- which is access to shared resources. How can it make sense for the same government that advocates 'austerity' in the form of public spending cuts to also implicitly acquiesce to uncontrolled inward migration from the EU? Surely it's obvious that more people=more demand for the very things that austerity rules out- more spending on health, welfare, housing, schools ect.

Austerity + open borders to the EU = nonsense.

The problem is that the Elites see all the benefits from cheap labor and the EU open borders policy and none of the downsides. If there were the slightest risk that a group of homeless EU migrants might set up camp outside Cameron's Cotswold's idyll then we might see him sing a different tune- but the reality is that it's the places that are already mired in poverty that will be expected to deal with the problem.

Migrant workers fall in different categories. Those who come in search of better opportunities, work hard are very practical. More practical than the natives who have reservations. Some migrants spend in the economy similar to natives and others don't. Some of them live in over crowded accommodations, keep family back home, try and save every penny with a view to go back one day. Don't know if that ever happens for everyone.Inequality is inevitable in a capitalist world and migration is inevitable in an unequal world.

In short, if people had same opportunities, standard of living back home then many would prefer to stay back.

Sorry I took it off topic.

I was told about that specific incident by someone with grandchildren at the school. I thought he must have been exaggerating. This thread reminded me of what he had said, so I googled it and was shocked to see it was all true.

My experience though limited - better manners, better values, harder workers.

Two of whom I would have married without a second thought if the opportunity had presented itself - their attitude to everything was "it is ok, we will make do, as long as we are healthy we are happy". Fook in ell I thought to myself, is that it, is that all you want? And it was, yet they worked and saved hard for everything.

It is because of this attitude that I knew my next wife would have to be from a world East of the UK (sorry to any ladies that offends).

My only other experiences have been at the car wash - used to be really good, now they've become more like us and do half the job for a lot more money (boom!).

I'm sure there are tossers out there, but we can't really generalise.

Migrant workers are most likely economic migrants. They would not be migrants were the opportunities here better than what they left behind, hence they come.

It is not surprising to me at all that many appreciate their willingness to work compared to the indigenous population, but it is for sound economic reasons. An economic migrant on £10 an hour can spend that back home on more affordable housing;In effect, £10 a hour here is £30+ an hour back home.

If you paid an indigenous warehouse worker here £30+ an hour you'd see a similar appreciation of the job.

It all comes down to housing costs. If you don't intend to buy a house here because you're just passing through the money is simply worth more to you.

There is nothing fundamentally superior to the migrants other than the effect of self selection of those who managed to come, and nothing fundamentally inferior to indigenous brits. Its about the money and what it buys you.

Meh.

A great part of the UK we enjoy today was built on the backs of migrants and/or slaves from the Elisabethan through Gregorian eras.

Modern UK would literally crumble and starve if it wasn't for the cheap trades, labourers & farm hands from Poland and other parts of Eastern Europe.

Over the past 500 years African, European, Asian, American, Irish & Commonwealth migrants have made the country what it is today.

Fear or anger of migration is just ignorance or misunderstanding of our own history.

Meh.

A great part of the UK we enjoy today was built on the backs of migrants and/or slaves from the Elisabethan through Gregorian eras.

Modern UK would literally crumble and starve if it wasn't for the cheap trades, labourers & farm hands from Poland and other parts of Eastern Europe.

Over the past 500 years African, European, Asian, American, Irish & Commonwealth migrants have made the country what it is today.

Fear or anger of migration is just ignorance or misunderstanding of our own history.

I'm all for more slaves.

Meh.

Really? We were starving before 2004? I would say that is a real misunderstanding of our history. Unless you know about starvation that no one else knows about.