House Price Crash Forum
Fairyland

Sports Direct Sweatshop Uk?

The guardian : http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/09/how-sports-direct-effectively-pays-below-minimum-wage-pay

Temporary workers at Sports Direct, the booming retail chain controlled by the billionaire Mike Ashley, are receiving effective hourly rates of pay below the minimum wage, an investigation by the Guardian can reveal.

Warehouse staff at the group, which is controlled by Britains 22nd richest man, are required to go through searches at the end of each shift, for which their time is unpaid, while they also suffer harsh deductions from their wage packets for clocking in for a shift just one minute late.

A day at 'the gulag': what it's like to work at Sports Direct's warehouse

Read more

The practices contribute to many staff being paid an effective rate of about £6.50 an hour against the statutory rate of £6.70 potentially saving the FTSE 100 firm millions of pounds a year at the expense of some of the poorest workers in the UK.

When labor is cheap and disposable it gets treated with contempt- why worry about retention when you have a virtually limitless supply of cheap labor via the EU?

My mate use to in Amazon Swansea. Slavers to.same clocking out trick.

Apparently it got so bad half of Swansea had worked there and been sacked they had TI ship people in to work there.

They don't like staff to work there more than t than two years

What has Ashley done to piss off the Guardian? They run these stories every week.

Hopefully everyone knows by now that the Guardian use offshore tax avoidance practices themselves. Not the same I know but wtf.

Sports Direct staff ‘were told outside world would kill them’

It's the mash joking about it but that's actually a ploy (ok - not actually kill) used by the management of many companies.

Edited by billybong

last time I was in one I was followed by store security. I wondered if I really looked that scruffy!

They get robbed constantly by east europeans. Are you pale and smell of cabbage?

They get robbed constantly by east europeans. Are you pale and smell of cabbage?

Haha brilliant

No, I was wearing the standard issue HPC uniform, I was looking for a tennis ball for something I was doing.

no designer labels,beard and hair unkept( wouldn't waste money on expensive haircuts), clothes that would be rejected from oxfam( to keep warm not for style) and oil all over my hands form my latest project. Maybe some random tools on my person like a multi bit screw driver for dismantling things I find in skips. A slight wiff of a craft ale too.

HPC appearance is the exact opposite of a shiny estate agent. "derelicte" I would call it.

I was kind of chuffed that I reached a point where sports direct perceived me as a threat!

Haha brilliant

No, I was wearing the standard issue HPC uniform, I was looking for a tennis ball for something I was doing.

no designer labels,beard and hair unkept( wouldn't waste money on expensive haircuts), clothes that would be rejected from oxfam( to keep warm not for style) and oil all over my hands form my latest project. Maybe some random tools on my person like a multi bit screw driver for dismantling things I find in skips. A slight wiff of a craft ale too.

HPC appearance is the exact opposite of a shiny estate agent. "derelicte" I would call it.

I was kind of chuffed that I reached a point where sports direct perceived me as a threat!

You could just end it with Jipo